IMG discussion thread

CameronCrazy

A couple of notes:

1) Scheduling: (at least as I understand the rules in AL)  You do have some say in who you schedule but not in regards to your area.  If a team is in your area and your classification then they are on your schedule.  Now there are a few open dates that you can schedule anyone you want.  So in the case of Archbishop Murphy I am guessing that these are teams in their area that are forfeiting.

2) Private Schools playing up: @jared52 answered that and in the case of some of the powerhouses of AL these schools have been known to play other teams outside their area up as many as 2 levels.  For example: I believe Madison Academy played a team last year that was a 5A team and they were ranked 3A at the time.

3) Private School Adv: I agree it is an advantage and it is one that we at Priceville have had to suffer for years because we have had to play MA in football at the middle school and then in baseball at the high school and middle school.  The talent is crazy.  For those that don't know MA has been a powerhouse in basketball, baseball & football for the last several years.  However they did just move up this year to 4A and even though MA is far superior in talent they just lost their first area game (to my alma matar Madison County High) in over 3 years.  MCHS was out manned in every aspect but went out and gave it all they had and they won.  

Football is settled on the field and as the saying goes 'Any given day' even the best can be beat.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, jared52 said:

Actually, I think the rule is that they count their student population as 1.5x the number of students to determine the classification. It's not enough in my opinion. 

EDIT: I googled and it's actually only 1.35x. Way too low for what these private schools can accomplish.

I get your point, but not every school fit in the recruiting mold.  Bayside, in Daphne for instance, would qualify as the smallest 2A school in the state.  Their program is very young, but their hands were forced to start recruiting (and the still do it very little) in order to even be competitive in the 3A ranks. the 1.35 rule can be more damning to a program than many may think.  McGill-Toolen is a pipeline Catholic school that has a stronghold on all of the Catholic grade schools in Mobile.  Watch.  Over the next several years McGill will be less relevant due to St. Michael's opening in Baldwin County.  The larger private schools do get some benefit, but the small ones will struggle regardless.  the larger a public school is, in theory, the better their opportunity is to produce larger numbers of perspective players for their sports just due to sheer numbers enrolled.  Due to the traditionally smaller enrollments at MOST private schools, the 1.35 'penalty' does offset a school's ability to recruit.  just my opinion.

20 hours ago, jared52 said:

Actually, I think the rule is that they count their student population as 1.5x the number of students to determine the classification. It's not enough in my opinion. 

EDIT: I googled and it's actually only 1.35x. Way too low for what these private schools can accomplish.

Probably so since they can be selective about the make-up of their student body and are not dependent on luck of the local gene pool for the kids that attend.  We are seeing that in North Carolina......  especially the Charlotte area.

• 4 months later...
On 2/14/2017 at 4:58 PM, 1auburn1 said:

Played a year at IMG.    Maybe the first time we sign someone who went there.     Need to break the streak!   

yah whats up with that mini "curse"?! we have not had much luck with kids who went to img. Actually I do not think we have got 1 so far. Albeit they have not had fball long but still. Just last year every time it seemed like we were close to getting a kid from IMG (mond, mckitty and ignont. even though he was only there for a cup of coffee.) It went awry at the last minute when they were "just about" to commit to us. All 3 of those guys at 1 point or time in another it seemed would likely end up in the class but recruiting is fluid and it never came to fruition. I would of taken Cesar Ruiz over all 3 of those but we were always the outside looking in with him and did not have a realistic shot. Used to work up near decatur some. Bama to the core. As is most of the state but especially this area. Could count on 1 hand the number of AU fans I encountered. Though the police seem to love arresting rolando mcclain when he comes home to there and not just sweep it under the rug like Louisiana PD....... Really hope we get him. He really pops on tape! love his cuts and how he just bursts through a block.

On 2/18/2017 at 1:30 PM, GwillMac6 said:

yah whats up with that mini "curse"?! we have not had much luck with kids who went to img. Actually I do not think we have got 1 so far. Albeit they have not had fball long but still. Just last year every time it seemed like we were close to getting a kid from IMG (mond, mckitty and ignont. even though he was only there for a cup of coffee.) It went awry at the last minute when they were "just about" to commit to us. All 3 of those guys at 1 point or time in another it seemed would likely end up in the class but recruiting is fluid and it never came to fruition. I would of taken Cesar Ruiz over all 3 of those but we were always the outside looking in with him and did not have a realistic shot. Used to work up near decatur some. Bama to the core. As is most of the state but especially this area. Could count on 1 hand the number of AU fans I encountered. Though the police seem to love arresting rolando mcclain when he comes home to there and not just sweep it under the rug like Louisiana PD....... Really hope we get him. He really pops on tape! love his cuts and how he just bursts through a block.

Not to start a conspiracy theory, but just the structure of IMG comes across as the kind of place where they play a lot of we scratch your back if you scratch ours, and Gus has shown, time and time again, that he doesn't like to play that way. Not saying any of these players were for sale, but I bet some of the coaches were happy to encourage them in one direction or another based on what the schools did for them.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

Not to start a conspiracy theory, but just the structure of IMG comes across as the kind of place where they play a lot of we scratch your back if you scratch ours, and Gus has shown, time and time again, that he doesn't like to play that way. Not saying any of these players were for sale, but I bet some of the coaches were happy to encourage them in one direction or another based on what the schools did for them.

Maybe, the fact remains that schools from all over the country come in there and get blue-chippers while IMG virtually sits in our backyard and we've gotten nary a one. 

I guess everybody but Auburn cheats. 

21 minutes ago, 1auburn1 said:

Maybe, the fact remains that schools from all over the country come in there and get blue-chippers while IMG virtually sits in our backyard and we've gotten nary a one. 

I guess everybody but Auburn cheats. 

Snide comment noted...

Everybody cheats. Auburn's coaching staff goes out of their way to distance themselves from anything their boosters might be doing. They also have walked away from good players because it became evident that their recruitment was stepping out of bounds.

Auburn is also one of a very few schools who has a rival alumni base with no qualms about throwing the rule book out the window actively recruiting against them. If you don't believe the REC would set a high school coach up with a new car/boat/etc in exchange for that coach encouraging players not to go to Auburn, then you are naive.  

The point I was making is that IMGs setup as a football factory makes them ripe for this kind of thing.

26 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Img is eroding HS football. They are not welcome in Texas

I applaud Texas for that. I feel bad for the kids who work like dogs to attain a high school state championship dream only to have their star player desert them for IMG. The irony is that most of the kids who go there are top level recruits who would be gushed over no matter where they play. Once again a system set up to benefit adults more than the kids. 

12 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I applaud Texas for that. I feel bad for the kids who work like dogs to attain a high school state championship dream only to have their star player desert them for IMG. The irony is that most of the kids who go there are top level recruits who would be gushed over no matter where they play. Once again a system set up to benefit adults more than the kids. 

I've posted a few links throughout this thread about how the THSCA is handling/dealing with IMG. Some good insight/reads.

HS Football is so much fun to watch in person. My wife and I went to games for years, even after our kids graduated HS. I completely agree with Bird. IMG is making HS football more like what HS Basketball has turned into. You basically get a team of All Stars and play. For a lot of games it is like watching the Harlem Globetrotters play against a patsy team. I hope HS Football will return to the days when you would sit with your neighbors in the stands, watch a great game and discuss the 1 or 2 guys on both teams that have a chance at a big time scholly. That is when HS Football is a great night out.

• 11 months later...
Just now, GwillMac6 said:

YES!!! more than anything BO needs to work on getting some stud bodies up front to protect him. Only thing missing really from the 2018 class.

Agreed, Noah could be huge just because there is so much talent at his own school IMG is LOADED. Just look at their campus.

img1.pngimg2.jpgimg3.jpgimg4.jpg

3 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Agreed, Noah could be huge just because there is so much talent at his own school IMG is LOADED. Just look at their campus.

looks like we can take some lessons from a high school when it comes to our locker room and facility upgrades! lol

8 minutes ago, Zeek said:

That is just unreal!!!!!

4 minutes ago, kd4au said:

That is just unreal!!!!!

I coach down here in Florida, we're just thankful they don't compete in the state playoffs...now there are other similar private schools down here in wrestling that get to compete in the smallest division that simply aren't fair.

Maybe Auburn's AD can take some notes from IMG :Sing:

50 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I coach down here in Florida, we're just thankful they don't compete in the state playoffs...now there are other similar private schools down here in wrestling that get to compete in the smallest division that simply aren't fair.

Maybe Auburn's AD can take some notes from IMG :Sing:

THSCA has kicked them out of Texas as far as playing them

14 minutes ago, autkidd2823 said:

Isn't Carnell Williams a coach at IMG?

Yes he is!

9 minutes ago, bigbird said:

THSCA has kicked them out of Texas as far as playing them

Oh wow! That's crazy. It's crazy if you scroll through the 247 rankings and see how many kids they have. They spent this year using two varsity teams because they wanted to get more playing time for some of their kids.

Something isn't right about this and similar setups. Where is all the money coming from? Why is somebody paying millions for this? It certainly isn't a rich alumni, they don't have any old, rich graduates. If anybody can explain how this deal works, please educate me. The first step in understanding anything is understanding the finances and I just don't see it.

11 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Something isn't right about this and similar setups. Where is all the money coming from? Why is somebody paying millions for this? It certainly isn't a rich alumni, they don't have any old, rich graduates. If anybody can explain how this deal works, please educate me. The first step in understanding anything is understanding the finances and I just don't see it.

I have a friend who sent his daughter there for soccer. She was a mediocre player but he’s paying $75k+ a year to have her there getting trained, etc. Maybe it will “pay off” with a college scholarship...he’ll be $300k in at that point, lol. Some people have more money than sense I guess....

9 hours ago, fredst said:

I have a friend who sent his daughter there for soccer. She was a mediocre player but he’s paying $75k+ a year to have her there getting trained, etc. Maybe it will “pay off” with a college scholarship...he’ll be $300k in at that point, lol. Some people have more money than sense I guess....

Well, ok then. I hadn't thought about it from that angle. I have a friend that spent enough on softball to pay for the two year jr. college scholarship his daughter got many times over. Another whose daughter got a two tear equestrian scholarship to a jr. college in Texas. He told me if he had all the money they'd spent on horses, tack, trailers, entrance fees and training he could have sent her through four years at Harvard and had money left over. "More money than sense" is probably their angle and a free ride to exceptional athletes is covered in their advertising budget.

The sad/funny part is, if a kid has the talent, schools will find them. There's no need in all the extra money, time and trouble.

This situation is not much different than Gymnastics has been for years.  Parents have been spending thousands of $$$ for training, coaches, schools & have even let their small kids (6 years or so) live away from home.  All in hopes of making it to the Olympics.   In the case of IMG it is to make it to college & eventually  the NFL.

Archived