IMG discussion thread

CameronCrazy

34 minutes ago, fredst said:

If not for Jimmy, I would always think of Gene Hackman as the kinda bad Little Bill from “Unforgiven” instead of the good Norman Dale from “Hoosiers”. I’m really thankful for Jimmy....

P.S. Plus, “Hoosiers” is one of my favorite movies of all time. Anybody that doesn’t get a lump in their throat when Coach Dale says “I love you guys”....well, maybe time to go look for a soul...

There's no crying in basketball......come on

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, bigbird said:

It destroys high school teams, it affects coaching careers, and hurts the community.  A lot of players get noticed and recruited when scouts come to see the "stud".  Those same players don't get noticed when the stud is poached from the team. Coaches, whose careers are graded on wins and losses are affected, and communities, that the schools are in, are affected (right or wrong).

For example, in the movie Hoosiers, would the coach had survived without Jimmy? How would Hickory's season fared without Jimmy?  What impact did the championship run have on that community?  All 3 we're affected by one player being there.

pitty party

On 6/15/2018 at 8:14 AM, bigbird said:

It's not just the coaching, but the facilities and nutrition as well.

I would be all for IMG if it catered to talented kids with limited resources at home, because the facilities and especially the nutrition could make a huge difference in their quality of life. Unfortunately, it's freakin' expensive, so it really is just giving better resources to those who already had good resources.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

I would be all for IMG if it catered to talented kids with limited resources at home, because the facilities and especially the nutrition could make a huge difference in their quality of life. Unfortunately, it's freakin' expensive, so it really is just giving better resources to those who already had good resources.

My guess about IMG is that the 5* players get a free ride and the 2* players have to pay.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

Schollies Baby!!!

They're not just for college.

You can get scholarships for kindergarten even....

1 minute ago, AUsince72 said:

Schollies Baby!!!

They're not just for college.

You can get scholarships for kindergarten even....

Yea, but from what I read on their site, their scholarships are very limited.

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

Yea, but from what I read on their site, their scholarships are very limited.

You don't really think that if they want a player they can't make it happen, do you?

Like Mikey said, the 4's & 5's will probably never have to pay.

9 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

You don't really think that if they want a player they can't make it happen, do you?

Like Mikey said, the 4's & 5's will probably never have to pay.

Yup.

It's run by a sports marketing agency. Who knows how many revenue streams they can attach to the kids who end up making it as professionals. They might even sign something saying they'll let IMG represent them after college.

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Yup.

It's run by a sports marketing agency. Who knows how many revenue streams they can attach to the kids who end up making it as professionals. They might even sign something saying they'll let IMG represent them after college.

Absolutely.  And I'm pretty sure that the football team is not made up of overprivledged rich kids.

10 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Absolutely.  And I'm pretty sure that the football team is not made up of overprivledged rich kids.

And we're just talking about football. They also have golf and tennis programs, among numerous other sports. And of course the revenue that such a high profile football team generates. Hell, they probably get legit TV money every season.

12 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

I did

We tried for our girls but I made "too much".

Guess that's the modern definition of Middle Class. 

Make both "too much" and "not enough" at the same time so...... "tough".

On 6/15/2018 at 9:45 AM, McLoofus said:

I went to private school. Once started a game at right tackle weighing about 165 lbs. Ended up playing every single position on the field for at least one snap except QB, center or kick returner. Yes, that includes special teams. So no, I don't think that all, most, or even a meaningful percentage of private schools are primarily feeders for college athletics. 

This is correct, and it’s almost like you’re telling my own private school football experience. I started as a freshman at a private school and played basketball and football. I was also given a scholarship to go to that school. I’m not really sure why (probably more precautionary than anything), but nearing the end of my freshman year they told my twin brother (ended up playing  college baseball) that he needed to sit out the season just in case someone might say something. With that said, my school was 100% academia focused and to my knowledge, all of their scholarships were 100 percent based on financial needs.

I can see how academic scholarships can raise eyebrows though, especially when great athletes are recruited. There are always whispers of recruiting when it comes to schools like Madison Academy and even bigger private schools, but I’m guessing the recruiting isn’t as rampant as believed. The perks of private schools are appealing to the parents, and most great athletes recruits know they can really shine bright even in their initial HS years. 

On 6/15/2018 at 8:43 AM, ellitor said:

More than likely yes. There are some very good coaches at IMG. A lot of parents wouldn't send their children down there if they weren't good coaches.

Agree, and on top of this, they get to compete daily against some of the most tallented kids in the country. That being said, I have always been a huge HS football fan. Local kids doing their best to win games and celebrate their victories with the local community. I hate the idea of sort of turning HS football into a professional sport and that is kind of what IMG is doing.

39 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

Agree, and on top of this, they get to compete daily against some of the most tallented kids in the country. That being said, I have always been a huge HS football fan. Local kids doing their best to win games and celebrate their victories with the local community. I hate the idea of sort of turning HS football into a professional sport and that is kind of what IMG is doing.

We've been having a conversation in another thread about youth soccer and, really, youth sports in general. It is increasingly being treated as a means to an end and it is sad. 

I have no problem with IMG as an outlier, but when, say, some of metro Little Rock's best talent starts getting funneled to Elite Sportsademics on the back 40 of Billy Joe Callthehawgs's family farm- because "Billy Joe'll get ya to the big leagues, son"- only to wash out of Memphis after some run of the mill recruiting irregularity is discovered... and the same thing is happening in every football-crazy state in the country... it's going to really suck. 

48 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

Yeah, but there is a very small sample of schools like IMG academy that affect the game at the high school level. The average high school parent has never even heard of IMG Academy.  Bishop Gorman comes to mind as well. But again, it is hardly enough to impact highschool competition as a whole. Now, if you start seeing these type of ender's game academy pop up nationwide, then I will have a lot more concern. 

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yeah, but there is a very small sample of schools like IMG academy that affect the game at the high school level. 

Except for those teams and coaches that are depending on that stud player. Which, in turn, changes the competition within districts.

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 9:45 AM, McLoofus said:

Which other private schools focus primarily on athletics? Which other private schools field an entire football team with "recruits"? Which other private schools aren't allowed to participate in their state playoffs? 

I went to private school. Once started a game at right tackle weighing about 165 lbs. Ended up playing every single position on the field for at least one snap except QB, center or kick returner. Yes, that includes special teams. So no, I don't think that all, most, or even a meaningful percentage of private schools are primarily feeders for college athletics. 

How big was this private school?

Just now, kevon67 said:

How big was this private school?

We once played a state-sanctioned high school football game with 21 players dressed out.

I had 57 kids in my graduating class.

12 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I'm really struck by the intense focus on academics. 

I was struck to know that the head trainer eats Fruit Loops every morning.

10 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Except for those teams and coaches that are depending on that stud player. Which, in turn, changes the competition within districts.

Well, I have never been a head coach. What I will say is I did run D-1 track (Arkansas State prior to transferring to Auburn). I have been a speed coach and I have interned and worked with Nike Sparq Co. I have never once heard a coach say I have lost my job because of IMG. I've heard displeasure about sports academies, but not to the extent that is being said on this thread. In fact, I have seen and heard way more arguments when it comes to big Public schools poaching athletes and/or private schools.  John Curtis, Shiloh Christian, CAC, Harding Academy of Memphis, Hoover, Prattville, Allen high school, etc, etc. When it gets to that nature then I think there will be more validity to the argument

Archived