IMG discussion thread

CameronCrazy

Somebody might have quit paying that $65,000 annual tuition....perhaps?

Yeah, a 5-star QB is going to have no one to "pay his tuition". Think of something a little more believable.

He obviously wouldn't leave that team on his own, therefore to suggest that they should have worded the statement to suggest that he just up and left on his own is beyond stupid. Who would that fool, exactly?

They handled the situation 100% how they should have.

• 9 months later...

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will got an offer from UGA today, along with 16 others from IMG that they offered the same day.

That IMG train will be @ A Day FWIW.

Crazy. Not really sure I am loving turning HS programs into full on football factories. IMG is different than the big power programs of the past. Schools like Valdosta, De La Salle, Hoover, Jenks, Katy, Buford and others. IMG only takes the high end recruits from everywhere.

I love Traditional HS football that you play for the school you have been assigned to go to typically based on distance from the school. It brings the community together, and makes for a fun Friday night. Oh well, just me.

It's not just football, it's like that in basketball too, my cousin went there his senior year.

It's not just football, it's like that in basketball too, my cousin went there his senior year.

It is a sports factory & they don't try to hide it. They play the best teams they can find across the country. For those who think what IMG is doing is unfair & or wrong it isn't IMO since they don't play in any state playoffs or for state titles.

I still don't like the IMG system. The kid's "real" schools spend the years and time to get them where they are and then when payoff year is supposed to come IMG swoops in and reaps the reward.

A similar thing has happened with kid's baseball. Local coaches spend time and effort to have good programs and when their star players are about to produce, some "travel team" guy comes along and sells parents on the idea of a college scholarship and/or millions of bucks with the pros. So the kid drops out of his local league, the parents pay a bundle to the travel team and after a couple of years the kid is no better than be would have been anyway.

I see no way to make this sort of thing illegal but it sure sucks.

IMG is just as honest as football factories masquerading as universities providing opportunities to "student athletes".

And, if my kid wanted to be an Architect and some prestigious architecture prep school came in and offered an opportunity to begin teaching him/her in their HS junior year, I'd take them up on it of the price was fair.

Yes, it takes away from the high school game as we know and love and it puts local coaches who have put in hard work in a bad position. However, IMG is a program that provides a service and they get results. Football is a great game, but it's an ugly business.

IMG is just as honest as football factories masquerading as universities providing opportunities to "student athletes".

And, if my kid wanted to be an Architect and some prestigious architecture prep school came in and offered an opportunity to begin teaching him/her in their HS junior year, I'd take them up on it of the price was fair.

Yes, it takes away from the high school game as we know and love and it puts local coaches who have put in hard work in a bad position. However, IMG is a program that provides a service and they get results. Football is a great game, but it's an ugly business.

They also provide life skills and the kids have to take the same HS courses to graduate. Also IMG gives scholarships to the kids they select to go there, for football at least.

They also provide life skills and the kids have to take the same HS courses to graduate. Also IMG gives scholarships to the kids they select to go there, for football at least.

It may be good for the specific kid and good for IMG but I cannot agree that the concept as a whole is a good thing.

It may be good for the specific kid and good for IMG but I cannot agree that the concept as a whole is a good thing.

The only negative I see is the kids don't get to play for rings. If they are ok w/ that then more power to them.

You'll have to convince me there are few downsides on the rate of graduation, development of kids moving multiple states away, etc. For example, what happens to the kid that is recruited to come there but turns out not to be very good? The concept is far too new for me to be convinced that it's good for kids.

You'll have to convince me there are few downsides on the rate of graduation, development of kids moving multiple states away, etc. For example, what happens to the kid that is recruited to come there but turns out not to be very good? The concept is far too new for me to be convinced that it's good for kids.

Based on your post it looks like you would have to be convinced it's bad for them as well.

Do you know where does the scholarship money comes from?

I was wondering that myself. It would be easy for boosters to funnel money there for recruits. Wouldn't be shocked if news comes about that some day.

I was wondering that myself. It would be easy for boosters to funnel money there for recruits. Wouldn't be shocked if news comes about that some day.

Given IMG is a huge company with many different forms I'm sure they aren't lacking in the money department.

E, yes, I think it's too early in the development to know one way or the other. For full disclosure of my personal view, I'm always skeptical of schools that disrupt a kid/parent relationship so unless you're telling me the parents all moved to Florida, I'm skeptical that this is best for most kids. But again, we don't know.

E, yes, I think it's too early in the development to know one way or the other. For full disclosure of my personal view, I'm always skeptical of schools that disrupt a kid/parent relationship so unless you're telling me the parents all moved to Florida, I'm skeptical that this is best for most kids. But again, we don't know.

Maybe but the way you worded sounds like the school pried the kids away from the parents. For any kid to transfer to IMG they have to have parent or guardian permission & every student must apply to even get into IMG. Parents are part of that to. So if there is disruption there it's on the parents.

Maybe. Or maybe their parents think its an unfortunate but necessary move. If you think IMG is necessary to maximize your kid's future, you might agree to it even if you think it's sad.

Also, you're assuming that parents are making good decisions for their them and their kids. That's a bold assumption and one that is frequently incorrect.

When parents become "handlers" or allow handlers to take over a kid's situation it seldom ends well. It seems to me there is the potential for a lot of that in the IMG setup.

Everything turned out great for my cousin, sometimes kids need to play a high level of competition to get on a national radar. First week in Florida my cousin picked up offers from Florida, Florida st. And Miami

The only negative I see is the kids don't get to play for rings. If they are ok w/ that then more power to them.

E, I do not disagree. Just for reference, in the Atl there are a lot of kids leaving HS early to play college baseball in the spring or soccer. Times are changing.

So if a kid/parents attends IMG to maximize his football future, his interest is solely on getting a P5 offer.

And once he gets there his interest will be the NFL.

Guess I'm old school...I just don't see any loyalty to the high school or college.

Archived