IMG discussion thread

CameronCrazy

Some good points regarding inter-state games which go on everywhere along state borders.  Our HS plays two South Carolina schools most years and and I expect just about every north east Georgia school plays a game or two against Tennessee and South Carolina schools each season.   It's hard for me to believe that people writing the rules would not have taken that into consideration since it such a common practice. 

JMO but what bothers me are the made for TV games at neutral sites between out of state teams.....kinda like college football's first week.  But, it's hard to turn down the money I guess.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Mikey is right the idea behind the rule is good but like in his example. You have to be very diligent when you create a rule like this so you don't create this type of issue.  Almost every year the Allen, Texas team plays an out of State opponent. If the rule was written improperly it would stop these types of games.

Easy fix... grandfather clause.  If they have played the team historically, they are exempt from the rule.  If you are concerned about teams that have already played IMG, just make it so you have to have played a team X number of times for them to be exempt. 

I expect that the high school athletic associations will get together at some point and agree on reciprocal arrangements.  I'm just noting that there is no practical way that Georgia can prevent it's HS from playing teams from Fla, Ala, Tennessee, South Carolina.    Pretty sure they will find a definition of "acceptable" that eliminates IMG and a few other programs like that and allows games like Hoover vs Byrnes(SC).  

Georgia 7 A Number 1 ranked Grayson plays IMG this weekend. Should be on TV.    May be worth watching.

Kellen Mond looks like a stud. I, too, echo a poster's earlier sentiments about A&M/Mond. I would love for him to don the orange and blue.

15 hours ago, bigbird said:

I'd rather have Stidham 

If I had to choose one, it would be Stidham.

• 1 month later...

So looks like there is no "season" for HS recruiting.....meaning that IMG can apparently go out to prospective recruits anytime it wants?  I'm a bit surprised that the college coaches have not raised some questions about this....and perhaps they are in Texas.  

Once IMG gets a Texas HS kid down to Florida / IMG, it probably reduces the possibility that the guy will stay in Texas after HS. Just wondering?

Here is another school following in IMG footsteps link.  They have so many D1 kids that other teams are forfeiting rather than playing them.  

Now with that said, I think it is ridiculous to forfeit because you have hardly no chance in winning, but that's what it is all about.  What kind of example is this setting of the kids.  Oh well this is going to be too hard so let's just quit before we try.  Typical of the "participation trophy" generation.  Back in my day, when we walked 50 miles up hill in the snow both ways to school...  But seriously, go out and give it your best and see what happens.  To give up before trying is ridiculous!

17 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

Here is another school following in IMG footsteps link.  They have so many D1 kids that other teams are forfeiting rather than playing them.  

Now with that said, I think it is ridiculous to forfeit because you have hardly no chance in winning, but that's what it is all about.  What kind of example is this setting of the kids.  Oh well this is going to be too hard so let's just quit before we try.  Typical of the "participation trophy" generation.  Back in my day, when we walked 50 miles up hill in the snow both ways to school...  But seriously, go out and give it your best and see what happens.  To give up before trying is ridiculous!

I agree with you about playing. My junior year in HS 1967-1968 school year I was at Quantico HS on the Marine Base we had an enrollment of about 600 kids 6th grade to 12th we played Bullis Prep (AN IMG Type School) when all 18 of us got off the bus their coach asked us if we wanted to forfeit we won the game 14-12 we blocked their first extra point and we stopped them on second one.  Back in those days 250 pounds was huge.  They had a bunch of kids between 225 and 250 we had two kids over 200 pounds. Because we played I have a memory that is still with me over 40 years later. I have told my boys (actually young men) the story many times and I have to admit that the story gets better every year.  

1 hour ago, lkeel75 said:

Yikes. What an opportunity they're missing to see what the best looks like. Although, I gotta say, if Team A has lost to IMG 80-0 for three years in a row or something of that nature (I didn't follow the link), then it probably does more harm than good to do it again. At some point the definition of insanity applies. 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Yikes. What an opportunity they're missing to see what the best looks like. Although, I gotta say, if Team A has lost to IMG 80-0 for three years in a row or something of that nature (I didn't follow the link), then it probably does more harm than good to do it again. At some point the definition of insanity applies. 

Don't schedule them but if you do schedule them play them.

1 hour ago, lkeel75 said:

I get where they are coming from.  Would you want to tell Johnny's mom that you are putting his 5'6, 180lb body across from 4 6'5 320lb guys and saying "run through that"? It's not like they are dodging these games because they are talented.  They are dodging them because the the mercenary school out weighs them by virtually a ton, which puts their kids health at risk. I can't fault them for that.

3 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I get the impression that these schools don't have a choice about scheduling them... or the schedule was made before they went mercenary, which only happened a couple of years ago.

11 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Hmm, yeah, good point. Unless high schools don't have final say on the scheduling. I have no idea about such matters, though. 

I agree to the statement: "Don't give up before trying" However, some of the teams aren't playing them because they disagree with their practice of recruiting players, it does put most public schools at a disadvantage. In Alabama the private schools must play up one region or division, that helps make it a little fairer to the public schools. Sometimes we lose sight of the more important things football can teach our young people, other than competition.

4 minutes ago, Timeslider 6 said:

I agree to the statement: "Don't give up before trying" However, some of the teams aren't playing them because they disagree with their practice of recruiting players, it does put most public schools at a disadvantage. In Alabama the private schools must play up one region or division, that helps make it a little fairer to the public schools. Sometimes we lose sight of the more important things football can teach our young people, other than competition.

Actually, I think the rule is that they count their student population as 1.5x the number of students to determine the classification. It's not enough in my opinion. 

EDIT: I googled and it's actually only 1.35x. Way too low for what these private schools can accomplish.

I wonder if we will see a day in which there are regional "IMGs" that funnel the best players to the colleges?  Basically, prep schools that play each other and, prepare athletes without the pretenses.

I kind of like the idea of separating the kids who play for professional ambitions from, those who play for fun.  Maybe we need some perspective?

9 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

I wonder if we will see a day in which there are regional "IMGs" that funnel the best players to the colleges?  Basically, prep schools that play each other and, prepare athletes without the pretenses.

I kind of like the idea of separating the kids who play for professional ambitions from, those who play for fun.  Maybe we need some perspective?

The way I look at it, a kid should be able to "major in" a sport just like they can any other discipline. Whether or not it's healthy for kids to specialize at earlier and earlier ages, I'm not qualified to speak on. But at whatever age kids start to focus on chemistry, or English, or violin, and however they're enabled to do that by "the system", I think athletes should be afforded the same opportunity if they're not already. If that means separate schools, cool. 

Archived