Swimming and Diving Update.

AUGoo

Congratulations are in order for a successful end to the 2016 swimming and diving season:

The Men's NCAA's finished up in Atlanta on March 16th with the Men finishing in 10th place, behind #2 UF, #5UGA, #6 Alabama, #7 UT amongst our SEC rivals.

The Women finished March 19th, also in Atlanta with UGA bringing home the Championship trophy.

Our women were able to edge out AFA for 33rd place with a whoping 14 points, only 4 points behind USCe as our nearest SEC rival.

Congrats to our slumping swim programs and War Eagle!

Nice job Coach Hawke.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations are in order for a successful end to the 2016 swimming and diving season:

The Men's NCAA's finished up in Atlanta on March 16th with the Men finishing in 10th place, behind #2 UF, #5UGA, #6 Alabama, #7 UT amongst our SEC rivals.

The Women finished March 19th, also in Atlanta with UGA bringing home the Championship trophy.

Our women were able to edge out AFA for 33rd place with a whoping 14 points, only 4 points behind USCe as our nearest SEC rival.

Nice job Coach Hawke.

This should never ever happen in swimming turds coming ahead of us nationally.damnation

Gotta admit that other than parents and a handful of alums who swim for foreign countries nobody cares too much.Money isare going to the revenue sports.

Which is the most ridiculous thing to happen at Auburn. The most successful program in AU history. But hey, let's build an all football complex, that helps all the other sports.

Gotta admit that other than parents and a handful of alums who swim for foreign countries nobody cares too much.Money isare going to the revenue sports.

Speak for yourself...there are some of us Alums who never swam but followed the sport when we were there and have followed it post our time there....I personally think we have fallen off where we were and only hope we are better over the next couple of years...

Speak for yourself...there are some of us Alums who never swam but followed the sport when we were there and have followed it post our time there....I personally think we have fallen off where we were and only hope we are better over the next couple of years...

I am speaking for myself when I say tha aquatic sports are on their way out at AU and elsewhere. So a few hundred alums enjoy the sport..that does not come anywhere close to financially supporting that sport. JMO

Are the aquatic facilities open to the student body?

Football field and practice field and etc. are not.

Not gonna get rid of a men's sport without adding others or eliminating the women's sport ... My guess is no one will eliminate women's scholarship athlete spots. Best choice ... Improve the swim program?

As a former swimmer, the decline of Auburn swimming is really sad. People who say it doesn't matter because it is not a high profile sport that generates lots of revenue are myopic. It's kind of like saying one degree program is irrelevant because its graduates don't become millionaires and give huge donations to the university. A great university aspires to excel in all sports, just as it aspires to offer excellence in all subject disciplines, not just occasionally, but consistently over time.

Seems like the only sport Auburn is truly competitive in right now, competing for championships year after year after year, is Equestrian -- which is not even an NCAA recognized sport. Swimming used to be at that level.

Being an old geezer, I was proud to see Auburn well represented on the podiums of the Olympic games, not only in swimming, but also in track and field. Not much hope for that anytime soon.

This^^^^^^^^^^^ a trillion times, this....

For someone to pretend they just figured out that football and basketball pays the bills is laughable.

As an analyst for the US trials and the Olympic games, Rowdy Gaines garners AU more positive international press in one broadcast than most other people could in a lifetime.

We have a history of this too.....AU used to own southern US collegiate wrestling.....Many university teams still compete and it is a highly popular sport....I'm glad that doesn't depend on the approval of others.

As a former swimmer, the decline of Auburn swimming is really sad. People who say it doesn't matter because it is not a high profile sport that generates lots of revenue are myopic. It's kind of like saying one degree program is irrelevant because its graduates don't become millionaires and give huge donations to the university. A great university aspires to excel in all sports, just as it aspires to offer excellence in all subject disciplines, not just occasionally, but consistently over time.

Seems like the only sport Auburn is truly competitive in right now, competing for championships year after year after year, is Equestrian -- which is not even an NCAA recognized sport. Swimming used to be at that level.

Being an old geezer, I was proud to see Auburn well represented on the podiums of the Olympic games, not only in swimming, but also in track and field. Not much hope for that anytime soon.

I enjoyed that too except so many were swimming for France.Brazil and elsewhere. The reality as I see it is that football is getting more expensive and in the future the non-revenue sports will be getting less money.

Nice job Coach Hawke.

This should never ever happen in swimming turds coming ahead of us nationally.damnation

Agree 100% Thank you Jay Jacobs.

Nice job Coach Hawke.

So we should waste money on an aquatic program because UAT has one..? Need a better reason than that IMO. Lots of schools get by without a swimming program.

Nice job Coach Hawke.

So we should waste money on an aquatic program because UAT has one..? Need a better reason than that IMO. Lots of schools get by without a swimming program.

Not saying that but if we have one which we do then we should be able to stay ahead of the turds in swimming of all things. You do realize we waste money on all sports except football and maybe just maybe basketball. I understand what your saying but if we can't afford swimming lets just get out of all of the ones we lose money on and be done with it.

Nice job Coach Hawke.

Me too. First the wrestling was killed (Thank you coach Dye, for canceling one of Auburn's most successful programs ever). I went to one or more wrestling matches and every year I make it to a swim meet or two every year. (Thank you JJ, for driving off the most successful college coach in the history of Alabama sports over a few failed promises of minor improvements.)

We don't need any sort of REC working against us, we seem perfectly capable of blowing our own foot off without any outside help at all.

The Equestrian team is now a perennial national contender. How long before someone decides we need to cancel that program?

Nice job Coach Hawke.

1. Lots of schools get by without soccer, volleyball, track & field, golf, gymnastics, tennis, basketball, even football. Do you want to eliminate sports just because there are other universities that do not play them? If so, we'd have no sports at Auburn.

2. I guess you have your definition of "waste" and others do not share that definition. Fact is, most football and basketball programs nationally lose money. If all the universities eliminated their football and basketball programs because they lose money, there would be hardly any teams to compete against. Actually, Auburn football runs in the red some years and basketball always does. Should those be dropped as a "waste"?

Nice job Coach Hawke.

1. Lots of schools get by without soccer, volleyball, track & field, golf, gymnastics, tennis, basketball, even football. Do you want to eliminate sports just because there are other universities that do not play them? If so, we'd have no sports at Auburn.

2. I guess you have your definition of "waste" and others do not share that definition. Fact is, most football and basketball programs nationally lose money. If all the universities eliminated their football and basketball programs because they lose money, there would be hardly any teams to compete against. Actually, Auburn football runs in the red some years and basketball always does. Should those be dropped as a "waste"?

Some programs run in the red because of accounting practices.....like football...and some because of low support....and of course if a school is giving out a dozen scholarships and getting no revenue from the sport.....it is guaranteed to run in the red.

Swimming is a great sport but it has no potential to be self supporting even with nationally rated teams. Interesting that a sport like gymnastics....in Alabama can draw as many fans as basketball and more than baseball. I'm not picking on swimming in particular......generally I have similar feelings about track and field.

I was being snarky about the "waste" comment....just reminding everyone that college athletics are a BUSINESS...no longer a sport and the pressure is on JJ and every other AD run it like a business....and trim the fat.

A few days ago North Dakota dropped a couple sports beginning immediately and I was surprised to hear that Iowa State has not has a baseball team since 2001 and handles it as a club sport. Just business decisions. ....and likely more club sports in our future.

It appears that the swimming program is on a very Asmuthian course headed to obscurity. As a former swimmer it pains me to watch the slide after having been to the mountain top. Coach Asmuth was the head coach in the mid 80's and was hired up from his assistant coaching spot after a couple of very successful coaches had passed through. Under his guidance, the program rode the coattails of his predecessors until it became obvious that the direction of the program was tanking. Initially talent was not the issue, until it was, and the program disappeared into obscurity for several years until Dave Marsh came home and the new facility was built.

It would appear that history has repeated itself with the hiring of an assistant on the coattails of two legendary swimming coaches. Painful to watch.

It's just a shame that we are unwilling to maintaining a top tier program so soon after the historical run that we have had.

Thanks JJ. If you're unwilling to bust it to keep our most successful coach, at least find a top level replacement to maintain the program at a competitive level.

I get it is not a money making sport. But only one is. Thank you football.

It appears that the swimming program is on a very Asmuthian course headed to obscurity. As a former swimmer it pains me to watch the slide after having been to the mountain top. Coach Asmuth was the head coach in the mid 80's and was hired up from his assistant coaching spot after a couple of very successful coaches had passed through. Under his guidance, the program rode the coattails of his predecessors until it became obvious that the direction of the program was tanking. Initially talent was not the issue, until it was, and the program disappeared into obscurity for several years until Dave Marsh came home and the new facility was built.

It would appear that history has repeated itself with the hiring of an assistant on the coattails of two legendary swimming coaches. Painful to watch.

It's just a shame that we are unwilling to maintaining a top tier program so soon after the historical run that we have had.

Thanks JJ. If you're unwilling to bust it to keep our most successful coach, at least find a top level replacement to maintain the program at a competitive level.

I think some sports other than football bring in good revenue...but not many. It would be interesting to see a P &L for each sport...even just gross numbers of expenses and revenue.

I think some sports other than football bring in good revenue...but not many. It would be interesting to see a P &L for each sport...even just gross numbers of expenses and revenue.

No other sports make money once you throw in maintenance, coaches cost, overhead, schollies along with the other training staff...if there is one it may be basketball but I doubt it with what the coaches are being paid...

If making money is the point, then shut them all down and we'll be way ahead. Hundreds of salaries for administrative staff, coaching, tutors, study centers etc can be garbaged. JHS can be sold to a salvage outfit. Lots of income from the steel and concrete. Lots more room for a parking lot after it is demolished.

Fortunately, profit/loss isn't the driving force behind college athletics.

• 8 months later...

A new coach is in order. Bring back our championship coach & alumni (Mr. Marsh) and pay him whatever it takes to come back. And will you are at it JJ, retire and step down. Make Charles Barkley AD. This would be either a total disaster or the most brilliant things Auburn as done in many decades.

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 4:09 PM, Mikey said:

If making money is the point, then shut them all down and we'll be way ahead. Hundreds of salaries for administrative staff, coaching, tutors, study centers etc can be garbaged. JHS can be sold to a salvage outfit. Lots of income from the steel and concrete. Lots more room for a parking lot after it is demolished.

Fortunately, profit/loss isn't the driving force behind college athletics.

Fortunately also there is some middle ground...... and IMO each sport ought to be able to cover it's variable costs...scholarships and coaching salaries.

Archived