Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AUGoo

Swimming and Diving Update.

32 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, AU64 said:

Fortunately also there is some middle ground...... and IMO each sport ought to be able to cover it's variable costs...scholarships and coaching salaries.

Tennis, Equestrian, Track and Field, Volleyball and so forth will never bring in enough to pay for uniforms and travel, let alone scholarships, coaching salaries and laundry expenses. Do away with all the sports that lose money and we won't have much at all. Some schools would have zero sports. Is that what you want?

11 hours ago, Mikey said:

Tennis, Equestrian, Track and Field, Volleyball and so forth will never bring in enough to pay for uniforms and travel, let alone scholarships, coaching salaries and laundry expenses. Do away with all the sports that lose money and we won't have much at all. Some schools would have zero sports. Is that what you want?

You talk as if there are only two options ......mall or none . I think that is called the straw man argument. Just saying that if someone were so inclined , they could window the  programs down a bit and remove the biggest losers. 

12 hours ago, AU64 said:

You talk as if there are only two options ......mall or none . I think that is called the straw man argument. Just saying that if someone were so inclined , they could window the  programs down a bit and remove the biggest losers. 

Not me, Old Friend. You wrote this:" IMO each sport ought to be able to cover it's variable costs...scholarships and coaching salaries. " If you only want sports that cover their own costs, then we are out of the SEC and NCAA D-1 because a school must field a certain number of teams to qualify. Remove the money losers and you're left with football, men's basketball in a good year and nothing else.

10 hours ago, Mikey said:

Not me, Old Friend. You wrote this:" IMO each sport ought to be able to cover it's variable costs...scholarships and coaching salaries. " If you only want sports that cover their own costs, then we are out of the SEC and NCAA D-1 because a school must field a certain number of teams to qualify. Remove the money losers and you're left with football, men's basketball in a good year and nothing else.

OK, I accept that most could not cover their cost though it is not a bad goal for them.  But consider the size of AU's athletic budget and the budgets of more than half the NCAA FBS schools and just look at the ones with half the revenue of AU...and yet they seem to compete favorably and field all sports.  Just wondering if AU spends as much money as we do because if it is available   College sports is like the government....no matter how much money comes in, there is always a need for more. 

And to your point, people complain about the price of football tickets...just hoping they realize that if there were truth in pricing, the tickets would also show the portion of the ticket price that goes to support 15 or so money losing sports......something along the line of " 67% of this ticket price goes to pay for the non-profit sports fielded by Auburn University"  We thank you for your support.

1 person likes this

Ran into a former Marsh athlete......he basically said that those that could help support the swimming and diving will not do so as long as Jay Jacobs is in charge.  

wow

that is very unfortunate.  weren't there similar things said about the improvements to Jordan Hare?

8 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

wow

that is very unfortunate.  weren't there similar things said about the improvements to Jordan Hare?

I can guarantee its the reason on JH