2017 4* QB "Tua" Tagovailoa

aucanucktiger

We have never in our history consistently out-recruited the likes of UAT, Florida, Tennessee and Georgia. Yet our record against those teams is more than respectable. We don't need to out-recruit them, we simply need to stay reasonably close.

Yep expect UT and UF.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mikey, when you say we have never in our history outrecruited the likes of Alabama, Florida Tennessee and Georgia, you mean over an extended period, yes? Because major recruiting sites have rated our recruiting classes higher in various years against all of those schools, including recently and against Saban (e.g.Rivals - 2010). Not to mention we on a regular basis throttle those schools in at least one position, such as our 2016 receiver class. Just clarifying.

Uat getting a dual guy over Gus is crazy.

Yes.

The Saban/Kiffin combo seems to eat Lucky Charms and poop Skittles.

Both are on a different level recruiting than Gus. Not a knock on Gus people.

Gus will be the first to tell you that he has no personality. Let's face it, he tried to supplement his lack of personality with a cool car. That being said, when he's not in a situation were everyone that throw hot-seat accusations at him, he wins as many as he loses because of the way he treats players and structures his program. We're never going to get the guys who are all business, but the ones who want to enjoy their 4 years prior to the NFL will choose Auburn, when they aren't afraid that what they are choosing will change dramatically in under a year.

I just hope our guys are staying close to all of these committed players, so when we have a good season and the hot seat talk stops, they can remind them of why they loved Auburn in the first place.

Could you expand on this? What do you mean by "how he treats players" and "structures his program"? I always perceived him as all business and very structured. Is that not the case?

Gus is not very structured. One on his biggest problems.

So how do you get over that. Gus' value is in his creativity and football acumen. Plenty of businesses have that type of person as a figurehead who sets vision, markets, and works with teams on creative development, while another top level person does business development, creates company policy/structure, etc. Does Gus have that close #2 guy, off the field coach/administrator, who gets him and can create the structure? He needs someone to do that b/c its obvious that he tends to fly by the seat of his pants (kind of living up to the mad scientist/artist persona that people used to have of him when he started at Auburn). I can see how he would get bogged down in the weeds on one issue while other areas of the team burn to the ground.

Yes.

Gus will be the first to tell you that he has no personality. Let's face it, he tried to supplement his lack of personality with a cool car. That being said, when he's not in a situation were everyone that throw hot-seat accusations at him, he wins as many as he loses because of the way he treats players and structures his program. We're never going to get the guys who are all business, but the ones who want to enjoy their 4 years prior to the NFL will choose Auburn, when they aren't afraid that what they are choosing will change dramatically in under a year.

I just hope our guys are staying close to all of these committed players, so when we have a good season and the hot seat talk stops, they can remind them of why they loved Auburn in the first place.

Could you expand on this? What do you mean by "how he treats players" and "structures his program"? I always perceived him as all business and very structured. Is that not the case?

So how do you get over that. Gus' value is in his creativity and football acumen. Plenty of businesses have that type of person as a figurehead who sets vision, markets, and works with teams on creative development, while another top level person does business development, creates company policy/structure, etc. Does Gus have that close #2 guy, off the field coach/administrator, who gets him and can create the structure? He needs someone to do that b/c its obvious that he tends to fly by the seat of his pants (kind of living up to the mad scientist/artist persona that people used to have of him when he started at Auburn). I can see how he would get bogged down in the weeds on one issue while other areas of the team burn to the ground.

Maybe that's where Hand comes in. Maybe he's the foundation to Gus's creativity.

Mikey, when you say we have never in our history outrecruited the likes of Alabama, Florida Tennessee and Georgia, you mean over an extended period, yes? Because major recruiting sites have rated our recruiting classes higher in various years against all of those schools, including recently and against Saban (e.g.Rivals - 2010). Not to mention we on a regular basis throttle those schools in at least one position, such as our 2016 receiver class. Just clarifying.

Here's the quote for what I said: "We have never in our history consistently out-recruited the likes of UAT, Florida, Tennessee and Georgia. Yet our record against those teams is more than respectable. We don't need to out-recruit them, we simply need to stay reasonably close."

Note consistently. Of course there's been the odd year here and there when we topped one or more of them in recruiting but it's not a common thing. And still, our won/loss record against all of them is, as I said, more than respectable.

Yes.

Not good for a head coach

Heard a great quote from the homer on the radio yesterday: If Tua becomes a great QB for UAt, will people name their dogs & kids Tua or Tagovailoa?

Consensus was Tua will be the most common name for babies in the state of UAt come 2022.

Archived