2017 4* C Nick Brahms (AU 7/9/16)

PatBoCamRob

We are assuming it's the distal fibula (the part closest to the ankle) usually a fracture here means that there was over pronation of the foot against the ankle and the ligament at the end of the fibula tears. We've found in orthopedics that patients, particularly athletes, heal quicker with surgery than casting alone and that surgery is almost always required to repair the ligament in the distal ankle. The immediate recovery time is about 8 weeks, followed by PT to stretch and strengthen the ankle for cutting and more athletic strain on the ankle. As mentioned above, it's paramount that the ankle didn't dislocate, which is a much more arduous surgery, recovery, and prognosis.  

Hope that helps!

Edited by passthebiscuits
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, AUDevil said:

thanks PTB...now I have to grab a dictionary...but thanks.

Na. If you are in college or have kids in high school or college just get out their anatomy 101 book.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Na. If you are in college or have kids in high school or college just get out their anatomy 101 book.

I was right there with him until "over pronation".  My latin training has failed me.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, AUDevil said:

I was right there with him until "over pronation".  My latin training has failed me.

Say WHAT ? Yeah, there's no pronation in football.

Haha! I wasn't trying to be all nerdy. More appropriately I should have said inversion of the foot (where the soles of the feet meet inward) rather than pronation. So even my nerd speak wasn't as accurate as it should have been.

Not at all. It's great to get an informed opinion on these kind of injuries. The news article said that Nick 'currently has a brace on his knee.' Care to speculate on possible ligament damage there?

• Like 1

Can they put Troxell in a padded cell for the time being? j/k

And is Brahms expected to be able to play his senior season? As long as this doesn't reduce them to shells of their former selves/knock down their ratings, I'm sure they'll be okay.

Edited by AUwent

2 hours ago, AUloggerhead said:

Not at all. It's great to get an informed opinion on these kind of injuries. The news article said that Nick 'currently has a brace on his knee.' Care to speculate on possible ligament damage there?

Actually good pickup there loggerhead, I saw that too and couldn't make heads or tails of it. I initially thought that that meant he had a proximal fibula fracture which is often "casted" by a knew immobilizer, but we know the injury involves the ankle. Maybe sprained the knee in the process? Dunno. Good news is that all players eventually make it through to our staff to have a review before they hit our practice fields.

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

Can they put Troxell in a padded cell for the time being? j/k

And is Brahms expected to be able to play his senior season? As long as this doesn't reduce them to shells of their former selves/knock down their ratings, I'm sure they'll be okay.

Nick will miss most of his Sr year. and rankings usually drop for players who miss most of their Sr year.

• 4 weeks later...

Recently moved back to Navarre myself, haven't seen Nick since he was probably a freshman or sophomore in high school until today. 

Kid got really big, massive. Kind of body you love seeing for an o linemen. 

Not to mention his orange cast....

9 hours ago, Charhair said:

Recently moved back to Navarre myself, haven't seen Nick since he was probably a freshman or sophomore in high school until today. 

Kid got really big, massive. Kind of body you love seeing for an o linemen. 

Not to mention his orange cast....

Hey..I spent the weekend in Navarre. Brother lives there. Great place.

14 hours ago, thaitopher said:

Hey..I spent the weekend in Navarre. Brother lives there. Great place.

I've spent too much time in this town. It gets old quick, you gotta drive to 2 hours in either direction to find anything other than the beach and supermarkets haha.

since I graduated from Navarre High School, they've really started to produced some good talent.

i know we had one kid a few years older than me who was an invited walk on to one of Tubb's teams and a kid go to FSU.

now they're really clicking. That RB they had is great (unc commit), a solid QB who will probably end up getting offers. Gotta keep it up.

• ellitor featured this topic
  • 1 month later...

Auburn OL commit Nick Brahms wins prestigious award at Army All-American Bowl

https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/nick-brahms-award-army-american-bowl

One of the Auburn Tigers’ incoming commits received a huge honor at the Army All-American Bowl awards banquet on Friday night.

Auburn offensive line commit Nick Brahms received the Felix “Doc” Blanchard Award, which is given to the member of the East team that exhibits excellence in the classroom as well as on the field. Missouri quarterback Drew Lock won the award in 2015.

Salute to @nick_brahms for receiving the Felix "Doc" Blanchard Award #ArmyBowl ?

Brahms will enroll early at Auburn and according to SEC Country’s Benjamin Wolk, will study aviation.

Given out annually to the US Army participant who exhibits 5-star ability in the classroom and on the field. Brahms to study aviation at AU. https://twitter.com/armyallamerican/status/817569728516395008 

Brahms is a 4-star guard and the No. 146 ranked player in the 2017 class. The Navarre, Fla., native is the No. 8 ranked offensive guard. He is one of the top ranked prospects in Auburn’s 2017 class, which ranks eighth in the country.

• Like 3

He could start or get a lot of playing in 2017. We have some super incoming O-line men. He and Ashley have a chance to play early.

• Like 2

I like him as a prospect, but there is a zero percent chance he beats out both Horton and James for the Guard spot opposite Smith. No happening. He's going to be a stud though.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, doc4aday said:

He could start or get a lot of playing in 2017. We have some super incoming O-line men. He and Ashley have a chance to play early.

Doubt it barring injuries. He is a guard/ center for us and 2 of those positions are taken by Golson & Braden.

First off, I'm excited to see what Brahms can do for our OL in years to come. But when it comes to the center position, I don't understand why we keep trying to teach OL that position when they have never played it before. We did that with Golson, Kim, and now Brahms. The C is the 2nd most important O-lineman behind LT. Why are we not recruiting more pure centers that grew up playing that position?

Losing out on Cesar Ruiz really hurt IMO.

13 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

First off, I'm excited to see what Brahms can do for our OL in years to come. But when it comes to the center position, I don't understand why we keep trying to teach OL that position when they have never played it before. We did that with Golson, Kim, and now Brahms. The C is the 2nd most important O-lineman behind LT. Why are we not recruiting more pure centers that grew up playing that position?

News flash CC. Almost every school in the country does this. Most successful college centers didn't actually grow up playing the position in high school. Most were the best OLs on their high school teams and played LT in high school because LT is the most important OL position, especially in high school.

AND the center position requires a totally different mind set and ability. If you have the smarts to call out assignments and line needs then Brahms is the guy to continue that role for us...

Sat near and talked to Nick at the SB. Great kid, but no way he is prepared to play next year from a physical standpoint. His listed measurements are accurate. He is tall and lean and will need to add 20lbs to be able to compete in the SEC.

I'm just glad we have enough depth to be able to redshirt these freshmen and let them mature and not have to rely on them to start if they are not ready.

• Like 2

On 8/11/2016 at 2:13 PM, passthebiscuits said:

We are assuming it's the distal fibula (the part closest to the ankle) usually a fracture here means that there was over pronation of the foot against the ankle and the ligament at the end of the fibula tears. We've found in orthopedics that patients, particularly athletes, heal quicker with surgery than casting alone and that surgery is almost always required to repair the ligament in the distal ankle. The immediate recovery time is about 8 weeks, followed by PT to stretch and strengthen the ankle for cutting and more athletic strain on the ankle. As mentioned above, it's paramount that the ankle didn't dislocate, which is a much more arduous surgery, recovery, and prognosis.  

Hope that helps!

I didn't go to medical school that day, damn it.

• Like 1