Baseball vs Tennessee Game 1

Another pickoff...anybody coaching tonight ?

Coaching AND player effort lacking tonight. Just one harmonious suckfest

Niko flies out to center. I know it's wishful thinking, but you'd think we'd get a clutch hit at some point if we keep having chances!

Thompson has to figure out what is wrong with this team. This team has all sorts of talent; and the answer as to why they haven't been able to put it together is probably the newness around the program coaching wise, but man, these guys have come up with clutch hits and plays before.... These SAME guys! That's what gets me is that the majority of this team is the same team that went to a regional last year. What gives?

Niko flies out to center. I know it's wishful thinking, but you'd think we'd get a clutch hit at some point if we keep having chances!

Thompson has to figure out what is wrong with this team. This team has all sorts of talent; and the answer as to why they haven't been able to put it together is probably the newness around the program coaching wise, but man, these guys have come up with clutch hits and plays before.... These SAME guys! That's what gets me is that the majority of this team is the same team that went to a regional last year. What gives?

I'm pretty sure it's probably the principle of "regression to the mean." Last year's team overachieved from lackluster preseason predictions/rankings while this year's team isn't overachieving at all (and it's safe to say with what we see they are in fact even underachieving from what their talent level is). Like emt pointed out earlier, the baseball system at AU is just bad. Sure we have our blips like 2005 or 2010 or 2013 where we often limp in and can give an illusion of building a program, but there is no promise of sustained success. The foundation is not in the program to build an annual contender, much less a sustained perennial one.

I'm pretty sure it's probably the principle of "regression to the mean." Last year's team overachieved from lackluster preseason predictions/rankings while this year's team isn't overachieving at all (and it's safe to say with what we see they are in fact even underachieving from what their talent level is). Like emt pointed out earlier, the baseball system at AU is just bad. Sure we have our blips like 2005 or 2010 or 2013 where we often limp in and can give an illusion of building a program, but there is no promise of sustained success. The foundation is not in the program to build an annual contender, much less a sustained perennial one.

why not?? honest question

That I have absolutely no clue on. Maybe others closer with the program can enlighten us. My guess would be a simple one of just constant turnover in and out of the program. It's got to be hard to switch philosophies every four years. Then again, you see other universities just plug and play new coaches in there and there's no step back. I hate to throw out the cliche "culture of winning," perpetuating itself in successful programs, but it doesn't seem to me Auburn has it in its baseball program.

Loaded the bases again and don't score. I believe that happened three times Tuesday night. This team can't get that key hit when needed.

14 left on base over 8 innings...on tuesday...

My list, in descending order, of how to lose a baseball game. (Acquired from 30 years of being associated with the sport)

1)Pitchers don't throw strikes

2)Poor play by the catcher

3)Defensive errors in the field

4)Poor baserunning

5)Taking called 3rd strikes.

I think this team has been covering all of that very completely. I am mystified about last night's performance. WTH is going on out there?

That I have absolutely no clue on. Maybe others closer with the program can enlighten us. My guess would be a simple one of just constant turnover in and out of the program. It's got to be hard to switch philosophies every four years. Then again, you see other universities just plug and play new coaches in there and there's no step back. I hate to throw out the cliche "culture of winning," perpetuating itself in successful programs, but it doesn't seem to me Auburn has it in its baseball program.

While I agree there can be different philosophies, baseball is a simple game. Play sound defense, throw strikes, swing the bat and make contact, I understand there are times in every game that deal with intentional walks, bunts, hit and run etc, but for the majority of every game those in game philosophies are not. I understand there are hitting philosophies (pulling a ball, hitting where the ball is pitched, pitch recognition, etc) and pitching philosophies (inside, outside, changeup, movement), but I would say nearly every kid that gets to this level has been exposed to that so it is not new. To me at this level it becomes a lot about execution and "want to" or effort. Some of that comes in practice and some is team attitude. Not blaming anyone. Late coaching change, and season has been spiraling, so there very easily could be a "lets get this season over mentality".

I thought sound defense and better running was a hallmark of our former pro coach, now assistant coach ... What is that assistants name?

Doug Sisson.

Coaching of fundamentals can only go so far. 5 errors, 6 wild pitches, 12 runners left on base and 2 runners picked off are signs of a team that either doesn't care or is completely overwhelmed. When an entire team is in a funk and they begin to press without the ability to perform, they get overwhelmed. While this team may be full of really great kids, it is not full of the talent needed to compete every weekend in the SEC. I was a catcher and I have great respect and admiration for those who work behind the plate, but 2 errors and a passed ball along with 6 wild pitches (part of that is likely on him) cannot be tolerated. The last time we had a great catcher was the last time we had a great team.

My list, in descending order, of how to lose a baseball game. (Acquired from 30 years of being associated with the sport)

4)Poor baserunning

I think this team has been covering all of that very completely. I am mystified about last night's performance. WTH is going on out there?

Agree with your concerns but Butch is a great assistant coach, easy going and does not ruffle the guys feathers when they screw up. I'm sure this is a much happier team than last season with that a******* SG riding everyone hard.

4)Poor baserunning

Agree with your concerns but Butch is a great assistant coach, easy going and does not ruffle the guys feathers when they screw up. I'm sure this is a much happier team than last season with that a******* SG riding everyone hard.

LOL, 64, you don't even attempt to thinly veil your disdain anymore. We get it, you miss Golloway and Butch Thompson is a terrible replacement.

You will find no argument from me (or likely anyone) that Butch is struggling through his first season and bluntly, hasn't done a great job with this team in his first season.. It is also true that Butch was a great assistant coach, yet I'll call you out on your implication with that phrase (although I do applaud your method of it). As for the remainder of your post, well you're entitled to your opinion. I have two high school teammates that played under Coach Thompson and "easy-going" definitely isn't a term to describe him when it comes to doing his job. More like a quiet intensity. He expects you (the player) to do your job and will hold you accountable to that end. Is he going to scream at you and berate you? Most of the time, no, especially not in public, but he does not hesitate to let the players know when they "screw up." As far as I know, there is no direct correlation between a coach's demeanor and his coaching ability. You will have screamers who can't coach a pigeon how to fly and you will have quiet grinders who can develop ordinary talent into extraordinary results.

Is Coach Thompson one of the latter? Too early to tell, but if you're going to criticize a coach, criticize him on his coaching decisions and his representation of the program/his system. Butch has plenty to point out on the first of those, no argument, but maybe give him a tad more of a leash than 1 season where he reported during fall practice. Who knows, maybe in a season or two, he can bring us the IMMENSE and UNRIVALED success with the program that Golloway brought to the Plains...

SC...there is plenty to criticise about our performance...it should be self evident. SG was /is a** no argument there...but this team has gone south and I am open to suggestions about why. JMO..but maybe time for some accountability on the field like UT showed last night.

SC...there is plenty to criticise about our performance...it should be self evident. SG was /is a** no argument there...but this team has gone south and I am open to suggestions about why. JMO..but maybe time for some accountability on the field like UT showed last night.

Shot in the dark, since I'm not behind the scenes, but I'm going to say that there are probably some growing pains brought on by a change in coaching philosophy. Switching gears can be a time consuming process, and the change in coaches was pretty recent. You may also have some players who were in the Galloway camp and aren't 100% buying into what Butch is selling. If there's one thing that has been made evident across the country it's that these kids can let their emotions get the best of them.

After last night? Yes, I definitely hope there was a...discussion. That wasn't just a talent loss, that was an effort loss. As for the southerly trend of this team, who knows? I lean toward average talent performing below average (but I guess that leads to another "why" in itself). The last 3 coaches...Slater, Pawlowski, Golloway, all "made" regionals, but it seems even when an AU team makes a regional they limp in instead of going in with intentions of making noise. Almost like an eternal 16 seed in the NCAA tournament. The real question I think possibly needs to be asked is why Auburn fails to CONSISTENTLY recruit above-average talent on the baseball diamond. Competition? Facilities? Stability of the program? Whatever it is, Auburn is not consistently getting elite talent,be it pitchers or position players, to sign to come play at Plainsman Park. When a team of studs goes through slumps, a championship contending team maybe recedes to a super-regional team. When a team of what AU has fielded the past 10-15 years or so goes through slumps, a fringe regional team becomes...well, what we've seen the majority of the past 10-15 years...

Recruited a top ten class last year....but before that ? bet it had been a while. Facilities have definitely lost ground....but this team playing like some of JP's teams.

Archived