Recruiting ( Food for thought )

StatTiger

“When I was at Miami we never had a recruiting class ranked in the Top 10, and we won three national championships,” Tuberville said. “Why is that? Because we didn’t have a fan base that bought those magazines.”  No one with any knowledge of college football would disagree that recruiting is the lifeblood of the sport. But fretting over not signing enough “5-star” players is a waste of time. If players are fast enough and athletic enough, it’s all about how they develop once they get to college.

“I couldn’t tell you how any player we are recruiting is rated by anybody except us,” Tuberville said.

:au::football::cheer:

That is why everyone should take recruiting rankings and the star stuff with a grain of salt. Mack Brown pulls in top 5 classess every year and what does that get him, no Big 12 Titles and just one trip to the Big 12 title game and a 4 game losing streak to Oklahoma. Browsing the other boards it is amusing reading the numerous threads about recruits and where they might end up, some fans guess if they win the recruiting battle they have won in the regular season already....cough :ua: cough

That is why everyone should take recruiting rankings and the star stuff with a grain of salt. Mack Brown pulls in top 5 classess every year and what does that get him, no Big 12 Titles and just one trip to the Big 12 title game and a 4 game losing streak to Oklahoma. Browsing the other boards it is amusing reading the numerous threads about recruits and where they might end up, some fans guess if they win the recruiting battle they have won in the regular season already....cough  :ua:   cough

139330[/snapback]

Tennessee falls in there with Texas and guess what? AUBURN has beat Tennessee three consecutive times! :big::au::au:

That is why everyone should take recruiting rankings and the star stuff with a grain of salt. Mack Brown pulls in top 5 classess every year and what does that get him, no Big 12 Titles and just one trip to the Big 12 title game and a 4 game losing streak to Oklahoma. Browsing the other boards it is amusing reading the numerous threads about recruits and where they might end up, some fans guess if they win the recruiting battle they have won in the regular season already....cough  :ua:   cough

139330[/snapback]

Tennessee falls in there with Texas and guess what? AUBURN has beat Tennessee three consecutive times! :big::au::au:

139338[/snapback]

Just for kicks, I would like to look back and compare recruiting classes from (the 01' ? season) of AU and TN.

I bet we would not be surprised with the results. TN ranks high every year.

Look at them a couple years ago when they got stomped in the Peach Bowl.

I would like to review the class 2 -3 years previous to that.

just curious

You know as an outsider I dont know why a small few people are getting upset, I noticed someone said "Why dont we get 5 star players"

Correct me if I am wrong didnt you get the Blackmon kid he is the #1 Outside LB in the nation and he is a 5 star. Also on this Powe kid although excited I heard he wont make grades so what does it matter.

I guess my point recruiting is very important, BUT getting players that fit your program is more important, I have found over the years those recruiting rankings mean very little. Sure they have some accurate ones (Peterson at OU is a classic example). Most of your big time players were just 2-3 star players that got good coaching and got into a system that fits them. For an LSU fan, Chad Lavalais was a nobody, Webster was a WR, Josh Reed was a 2 star player from a small school and was a RB... Classic examples.

I guess I am preaching to the choir here, but I think tubs is doing just fine in recruiting.

for a coonass, you seem to be quite an agreeable fellow.....actually, in the business that i was in, i met many people from looseranna,and to be very honest, i liked every single one of them.....you guys are different and it takes a while to adjust to how ya'll act,but i never met a coonass that i didn't like( i still ain't going to a game in baton rouge)

You know as an outsider I dont know why a small few people are getting upset, I noticed someone said "Why dont we get 5 star players"

Correct me if I am wrong didnt you get the Blackmon kid he is the #1 Outside LB in the nation and he is a 5 star. Also on this Powe kid although excited I heard he wont make grades so what does it matter.

I guess my point recruiting is very important, BUT getting players that fit your program is more important, I have found over the years those recruiting rankings mean very little. Sure they have some accurate ones (Peterson at OU is a classic example). Most of your big time players were just 2-3 star players that got good coaching and got into a system that fits them. For an LSU fan, Chad Lavalais was a nobody, Webster was a WR, Josh Reed was a 2 star player from a small school and was a RB... Classic examples.

I guess I am preaching to the choir here, but I think tubs is doing just fine in recruiting.

139373[/snapback]

I once read an article on Nick Saban, I found very interesting. According to the article, before every season, Saban had his coaches evaluate the top 50 athletes on his team. He wanted to make sure to get his top players on the field, which would require position changes. I cannot recall all the names but you mentioned one in Josh Reed. There was a tightend, who initially was a LB I believe.

for a coonass, you seem to be quite an agreeable fellow.....actually, in the business that i was in, i met many people from looseranna,and to be very honest, i liked every single one of them.....you guys are different and it takes a while to adjust to how ya'll act,but i never met a coonass that i didn't like( i still ain't going to a game in baton rouge)

139375[/snapback]

Charming, TB...charming. :lol:

:au::homer:

Yes Saban (And Stoops as well) is known for taking players and switching positions on them.

For example Marcus Spears was a TE and was not happy at all when Saban put him on D-line. Many of our DB's were WRs coming out of Highschool (Webster, Hunt) also Remember even Clayton had some time at DB 2 years ago.

Josh Reed as I mentioned was a RB, actually funny story there. Josh Booty of all people suggested to Saban they put him at wide out...

Saban also moved some Offensive Lineman to D line...

So yeh Saban has always done that. Stoops did the same thing with his championship team he took about 8 players on offense and switched them to defense, the same team that was horrible the year before. Just by switching them..

I am sure most coaches do that. Thing is you have to be honest with them during recruiting. I know Spears was not happy at first but loved it after the first season.

If you go after and land a "5 star" kid that is not capable of staying in school or getting along with his fellow players or is just a thug...what have you accomplished? :huh:

Let's let the coaches do what they have been doing thus far. :D

IT has turned out pretty well! :au:

Conversly and I have gotten on several of my own fans about this. Just because a kid choses a different school DOES NOT mean he is a thug or a loser. I see many LSU fans beating up on Perilloux because he is going to UT. I hope he does very well at UT. I love when Louisiana kids excel (Lefors at Louisville, or Rufus Alexander at OU) Kids sometimes like to go away to school. Experience new things. I understand that. Some LSU fans (No different then other schools) think the kid is dumb or a loser for not chosing whatever school. I think that is wrong as well. Each and every school has great things to offer their players. Each has their own rich experiences. Fact is I dont fault a kid for going to a different school. I wish them well. What I dont like is when kids commit to a school but on Feb 2nd commit somewhere else, I think that is wrong because usually a coach will stop recruiting a position once they get a commitment. Those kids I wish had a better head screwed on. Robert Lane did that to LSU, was committed then on signing day went to Ole Miss.

Nope he never signed with LSU he was committed to LSU until signing day. He and his father were mad because they signed Russell. Who committed on National TV on Feb 1. Apparently Lane said Saban told him that he was not going to go after any more QB's then Saban got Russell. Lane did not want to compete for the job between Russell and Flynn.

Many LSU fans said Lane was scared to compete, maybe true I am not from that school of thought. I just think he realized he has a better chance to play early at Ole Miss without having to fight for the job against 3 other big time recruits (JR was a 5 star and Flynn was a 4, Lane was also a 5 star at the time for whats that worth)

But no he never signed with LSU, Saban even called him out not by name but everyone knew who he was talking about.

Archived