Price's Barbecue House to close

RunInRed

Price's BBQ House in Auburn will be closing forever within the next month. Sad news to lose an AU landmark. Those breakfasts will be missed

The owner is retiring and I don't know a definite last day. Just know it will be sometime near the end of May.

@richmondgunter

Owner Jeff Price confirmed the news today that he has sold the property on South College Street where the barbecue house is located to a commercial developer. At this time, an official closing date for the restaurant is still up in the air.

"I just kind of felt like Auburn is in a huge growth spurt right now where everything is frenzied a little bit, and I feel like that's not going to go on forever," said Price. "The time is right and the price is right so it's just a good time for me to get out."

Price and his parents, Lorene and Jesse, opened Price's Barbecue House in 1978. At the time, Price was a student at Auburn University. As an adult, he later returned to the area to take over the restaurant for his parents.

Price said he is hoping that the barbecue house will be able to remain open through the fall of 2016, but cannot guarantee anything at this time.

"We have been negotiating about possibly staying on at least until the end of the fall, but I'm not sure that's going to work out," said Price.

"We could be out of here by the end of May."

Price said that while the current location of the barbecue house is closing, he's open to the idea of opening up somewhere else. However, he said he would likely take on a lesser role in any new locations.

"We may attempt to relocate," said Price. "That's by no means out of the question. I probably wouldn't operate it, but I would certainly be happy to help a long-time employee or a buyer or someone get on their feet. The value of this property has just gotten to a point I'm afraid it won't reach again for a while."

http://www.al.com/en...art_river_index

AL-BBQ-8-700x525.jpg

For years, when I came back to games after graduating, I parked on that side of campus and on my walk to our tailgate it almost became a ritual to stop and grab some sandwiches. As others have noted, their breakfast was OK as well. Honestly, there was better BBQ in Auburn but just the landmark and another historical stop going away kinda saddens me. Although, you could almost see the writing on the wall as the building stuck out like a sore thumb with the new development next door where the Heart of Auburn used to be.

NOOO!! My favorite spot in Auburn! Price's catered Camp War Eagle for me as a prospective student and was my first introduction to real southern BBQ since I am from the DC suburbs. Since then it has been my favorite spot, I used to eat there at least once a week during my undergrad years. None of the others ever tasted as good to me. I'm seriously considering making the drive from Atlanta to eat there one last time.

Well, can I have the pig from out front?

Good addition to the man cave? ;)

ChEkPdsVEAA3Vja.jpg

Oh no...right next to the couch. It would be a great conversation piece!

Noooooooooooo.. There has to be an option to keep their BBQ around. Nobody wants to take it over??

There's a lot of competition in the Auburn-Opelika area on the BBQ front ...

Hope they will let everyone know when their definite closing date is. I will drive to Auburn just to have breakfast there one more time for memory's sake.

Maybe it is just me but I always thought it was over-priced and I never saw this place as a "landmark". BBQ was alright. Way more upset about the Supper Club. Still hate to see a place closing its doors around there.

Now I will chain myself to Byrons if I have to! Love their BBQ and camp stew! I am sure many disagree but that is just my take on the Auburn BBQ scene.

It really is the memories wrapped up in a place that make it special. I love their barbeque. To me, it has the best flavor, but more than that, it was sharing it with my husband and my parents and then with my little girl. We ate there before every game and parked there back when they would let you. After my parents got to old to come to games and then losing my mom in 2009, it holds so mamy memories of the best of times. I am very sad. They'll probably put some crappy chinese restaurant there. :-(

• 10 months later...

Archived