Baylor issues UPDATE - Baylor fires football coach Art Briles

AU64

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

College athletics has serious criminal problems with some athletes, particular in the big revenue sports of football and basketball. Most of that is from selecting players based only on talent and ignoring character and academics. Some of it is from the violent behavior that infects society today.

The NCAA was formed in 1906 to make college football safer for the players. Football was in danger of being abolished as too dangerous a sport. In 1905 18 players died during games. Teddy Roosevelt, gathered 13 football representatives for meetings to agree on safety reforms. That agreement resulted in the NCAA.

The NCAA does almost nothing to protect students and others from violent athletes or coaches. It imposed after the fact punishment for Penn State, then later reduced most of the harsh penalties it imposed. So we are left with existing law enforcement which can be suspect as in the FSU Winston case or the college's internal policing which also can fall as at Penn State, FSU, and now Baylor. The Federal government's Title IX has after the fact teeth too as federal funding can be withheld, but those teeth don't seem to be used much.

The colleges and NCAA can't be trusted to police themselves as they both are drunk with the money coming from major sports. ESPN with it's politically correct oriented values could refuse to carry the games of any school that has allowed pervasive criminal activity, but ESPN has contracts and they are money driven too.

Is it time for a non government organization separate from the NCAA that looks at academic eligibility of athletes and evaluates the off field misconduct of athletes and coaches? All coaches participating in intercollegiate sports would have to be members of the organization. The organization could suspend players or coaches and fine colleges or suspend/ ban their participation in a college sport. Such an organization would have to have some voting directors from outside the colleges.

Another option, treat student-athletes with or without scholarships exactly like all other students. Same cutoff for scores on ACT, etc. for admission. No assigned monitors following student-athletes to make sure they attend class.

CPT – good discussion of the problems that schools sometimes face because of loose requirements for athletic programs. In my view, the NCAA should have no role in controlling this problem. Each school has trustees, professional administrators and local law enforcement , all of which would seem to have the ability and the authority to deal with these problems . I'm not sure what can be done beyond that if the residents of a state or state legislatures are unwilling to protect citizens .

I am on board to have athletes meet the same standards as the rest of the schools student body . Generally that is the case or division three schools but further up the line you go , the more money involved, the greater the willingness of school administrators and alums to ignore those kinds of requirements.

Wish it were not so … But that seems to be the world we live in these days .

The world is changing. This kind of thing would never have seen the light of day as little as 5 years ago. Briles, depending on his level of involvement, won't even be able to get a job with an NFL team. A show cause is probably coming from the NCAA. Criminal charges could be forthcoming against some individuals.

The world is changing. This kind of thing would never have seen the light of day as little as 5 years ago. Briles, depending on his level of involvement, won't even be able to get a job with an NFL team. A show cause is probably coming from the NCAA. Criminal charges could be forthcoming against some individuals.

Agree...criminal charges will be on the table in future cases...and civil charges against individuals in some cases.

Agree...criminal charges will be on the table in future cases...and civil charges against individuals in some cases.

I won't rule out criminal charges here. I'm guessing that there is some prosecutor taking a a long look at this.

I wouldnt be surprised to see a huge civil trial versus Baylor. Remember, they're a private entity, not a state school, and it would be easier to get it to stick without the sovereign immunity arguments.

Well....did not take Baylor near as long as I expected. Former Wake Forest coach....Jim Grobe reported to have the job.....coming from a Baptist school. Not a high profile guy but was well liked at Wake....except he did not win enough games.

Underwhelming. Maybe just a babysitter coach for the near future.....Hard to think the fan base will sit by and be happy with what he did at Wake. He'll have better athletes at Wacko.....but, they need to be coached too....Time will tell.

Underwhelming. Maybe just a babysitter coach for the near future.....Hard to think the fan base will sit by and be happy with what he did at Wake. He'll have better athletes at Wacko.....but, they need to be coached too....Time will tell.

True but folks noted they need a squeaky clean guy....and comes from a similar type school. Bet the "on probation" AD had folks looking over his shoulder for this move. ...well, not I see the AD is on is way out the door too.

A definite house cleaning.

I expect they want a clean program for a while until the deal with the problems that are just beginning to unfold.

I'm glad it has happened. Couldn't believe that didn't fire damn near the entire AD staff....much less the coaching staff.

He may be squeaky clean and needs to be, for what they are used to and desire, drastically underacheving coach. Time will tell.

Local sports just stated he was, "acting", coach for this season. As well as the AD resigning.

Sounds right....actually he did as well as WF as anyone before or since....not an easy place to win at....about the smallest enrollment the Power 5 and pretty good academic requirements.

Obviously with the season just around the corner they needed someone who would be able to get a team organized and ready to play. His coaching skills are pretty good if you consider what he was dealing with at Wake.

Likely not to be there for more than a season but won't embarrass the school on the field ....just wont' be able to hold many of their commits which will be an issue for 2017.

No, Wake is a great school, not a football power.....They've done above average in basketball over the years....

Although, it is the least of their concerns at the moment, beginning of a few bad years for Baylor, most likely.

It's now official that the Athletic Director is out.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/baylor-athletic-director-ian-mccaw-resigns-234157683.html

I'm wondering whether any more of the coaches will get the ax. But most of all, I'm wondering if they will nail some of the people in the Baylor administration who intentionally buried reports of assault by coeds. Because there was obviously complicity throughout the university in this.

Grobe is now the interim coach

Like Butch and AU baseball....show up a couple months before the season starts and see if he can. put a respectable team on the field. ....probably similar odds of success...unless most of the assistants are retained...which could make a huge difference.

Like Butch and AU baseball....show up a couple months before the season starts and see if he can. put a respectable team on the field. ....probably similar odds of success...unless most of the assistants are retained...which could make a huge difference.

Last I heard, Baylor was planning on retaining both the DC and the OC (who is Art Briles' son). Kendall was the OC last year and has been their QB coach and passing game coordinator for a few years. It will be interesting now to see if he stays in light of everything that has happened with his father.

Last I heard, Baylor was planning on retaining both the DC and the OC (who is Art Briles' son). Kendall was the OC last year and has been their QB coach and passing game coordinator for a few years. It will be interesting now to see if he stays in light of everything that has happened with his father.

This my opinion only, but I believe Grobe is there for only one year. He was brought in to have a football team for this year and that is why Baylor is planning to retain both the DC and OC. It would be very difficult to bring in his own staff during the summer and have any semblance of a competitive team. This will also give Baylor a year to find a coach that would be more of a splash hire and for that coach to bring in his own staff. Grobe could be that coach, but he would have to have a great season.

Next year, I would be surprise if any of the Art Briles' assistant coaching staff would be retained considering the "yes" man culture he developed during his tenure. By "yes" man culture, I mean he deleloped a culture that if you aren't with me you're against me attitude in every phase of this culture. Therefore, Art made the decision to coverup the assaults and there was no objection to this plan. If a coach remains silent about something that is so wrong that coach, by not voicing his objection, is a yes man.

has any of the fired coaches(or coach) or admin at Baylor defended themselves publicly? I think back to Penn ST. and they were all pointing fingers and saying they did nothing wrong.

Archived