Baylor issues UPDATE - Baylor fires football coach Art Briles

AU64

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...but he'll still teach law there. That would be a little awkward for me.

Gotta get that retirement plan vested.....and besides, probably half (or more of) the law class would eagerly defend Briles if the case were to become a civil action.

...but he'll still teach law there. That would be a little awkward for me.

Gotta get that retirement plan vested.....and besides, probably half (or more of) the law class would eagerly defend Briles if the case were to become a civil action.

Ah, tenure, great point. I bet it's substantial even for a former university president.

Tenure is probably especially substantial for a former President and Chancellor.

Meanwhile, a couple more heads rolled today....off field staff who worked on personnel issues. ...probably not that last....?

And 5 Baylor signees who ere supposed to start class on Monday did not report to school and 2 more have asked for releases.....about 1/3rd of their class.

What a disaster Grobe in taking on.

Going to be worse, before it is better.....I imagine some current team members are assessing their options, as well.

Did PSU players get a full release from the team with no NCAA mandated time off? Might see that here.

Going to be worse, before it is better.....I imagine some current team members are assessing their options, as well.

Did PSU players get a full release from the team with no NCAA mandated time off? Might see that here.

I believe that PSU players were immediately eligible when they transferred....but not many took the move. Most damage was done to the school when they lost so many schollys.

Just wondering if the NCAA can move as fast as is necessary to give these guys time to get "re-recruited" and into another school in time for this season. .

I believe that PSU players were immediately eligible when they transferred....but not many took the move. Most damage was done to the school when they lost so many schollys.

Just wondering if the NCAA can move as fast as is necessary to give these guys time to get "re-recruited" and into another school in time for this season. .

Mark Emmert and the NCAA did everything they could to torch the PSU football program in the most despicable and underhanded way they could dream up. Not only did they allow transfers immediate eligibility, but also allowed schools taking those transfers to count toward the following year's scholarships available. Bill O'brien did a heroic job of keeping all but 15 players in the fold. Then the Paterno faction frustrated him to the point of making him leave (but that's another story).

As for speeding up the process, I'm betting Baylor would be okay with letting it simmer in light of what happened in Happy Valley. But the NCAA is so schizophrenic and without any identity and probably still so shell shocked from the Penn State fallout that they might just sit on their hands. Wouldn't surprise me a bit.

Mark Emmert and the NCAA did everything they could to torch the PSU football program in the most despicable and underhanded way they could dream up. Not only did they allow transfers immediate eligibility, but also allowed schools taking those transfers to count toward the following year's scholarships available. Bill O'brien did a heroic job of keeping all but 15 players in the fold. Then the Paterno faction frustrated him to the point of making him leave (but that's another story).

As for speeding up the process, I'm betting Baylor would be okay with letting it simmer in light of what happened in Happy Valley. But the NCAA is so schizophrenic and without any identity and probably still so shell shocked from the Penn State fallout that they might just sit on their hands. Wouldn't surprise me a bit.

I'm sure Baylor would like to have time to re-recruit the kids but......and JMO, the NCAA owes it to the players to give than an "out" right away so they can make other plans if they wish. I'm thinking the 2016 class...not the guys who have been there during the time of the "troubles" since I expect most of the players are/were aware of the problems as they were occurring.

I'm sure Baylor would like to have time to re-recruit the kids but......and JMO, the NCAA owes it to the players to give than an "out" right away so they can make other plans if they wish. I'm thinking the 2016 class...not the guys who have been there during the time of the "troubles" since I expect most of the players are/were aware of the problems as they were occurring.

Totally agree.

Depending on just how this whole thing plays out once the investigation is complete, Baylor may find it difficult to near impossible to land a splash hire. They may well find themselves looking at being next to irrelevant for a few years.

I bet if they would go ahead and hire Lashlee he wouldn't do this kind of stuff.....

I figure this is a tongue in cheek comment....Lashlee is much better thought of away from AU than by his AU fans....but as far as Baylor is concerned, there is no need for them to hire someone who has never been the HC. Even with the issues, Baylor will be able to find someone after Grobe (if they want to) who has a positive W-L record at the Div 1 level.

JMO but if RL expects his first HC job to be at some Power 5 school, he will be here as long as Gus is here.

My friend who is a BU grad said Friday that the BOR is looking for a way to return Briles to the head coaching position. Obviously not this season but possibly before next. Blowback would be enormous IMO.

A monumentally bad decision.

Absolutely, a decision like that is hard to even imagine.

Maybe that is the friend's wishful thinking. If not, the BOR has suffered complete and total brain death. One of the more absurd suggestions in the sports world, I've ever heard.

Don't ever see that happening its going to be hard enough for him to ever get back into Power 5 coaching. Stranger things have happen so you never know

My friend who is a BU grad said Friday that the BOR is looking for a way to return Briles to the head coaching position. Obviously not this season but possibly before next. Blowback would be enormous IMO.

i don't doubt it at all. go for it.

Maybe that is the friend's wishful thinking. If not, the BOR has suffered complete and total brain death. One of the more absurd suggestions in the sports world, I've ever heard.

Not friends wishful thinking. He sent me tweet from someone confirming this that was VERY quickly deleted.

Archived