Baylor issues UPDATE - Baylor fires football coach Art Briles

AU64

If they are ignorant enough and tone deaf enough to do that, hell let them, and let them swallow what will come to them.....

Very difficult to claim to be a religious institution and have the BOR accused of covering up rape and sexual assault.

Sooner or later, the report will leak and since they are so dead set against that, the BOR is HIGHLY suspected of having knowledge and not taking appropriate and MORAL actions. There is as much potential for that BOR to be cleaned up a good bit as there is for Briles to be rehired................Still the most monumentally ignorant proposition, I've heard. Ridiculous. The way I feel about their lack of action, wouldn't bother me in the least for them to do it and then get torn up, in media and that is exactly and deservedly what will happen,

http://dallasmorning...t-scandal.html/

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they are ignorant enough and tone deaf enough to do that, hell let them, and let them swallow what will come to them.....

Very difficult to claim to be a religious institution and have the BOR accused of covering up rape and sexual assault.

Sooner or later, the report will leak and since they are so dead set against that, the BOR is HIGHLY suspected of having knowledge and not taking appropriate and MORAL actions. There is as much potential for that BOR to be cleaned up a good bit as there is for Briles to be rehired................Still the most monumentally ignorant proposition, I've heard. Ridiculous. The way I feel about their lack of action, wouldn't bother me in the least for them to do it and then get torn up, in media and that is exactly and deservedly what will happen,

http://dallasmorning...t-scandal.html/

Well, keep in mind the last half dozen post started because of a rumor.....and just reading the Dallas MN piece, it seem the BOR has their hands full right now trying to hide their role before and after the firings. BOR members would have to be suicidal to go through that stuff....and then suggest bringing back the coach who is at the heart of the issue.

And looks like the matter of the assistant coaches (including young Briles) might not be over. BOR and Grobe might think they have made a decision...but I'm willing to bet the issue is not final.

I used the words, if and several other qualifiers, I treated it as nothing but a rumor and an absurd one.

Their talk means nothing, the walk and action means everything.

A very wise person said something to me, I'll never forget.

By and large, people have good intentions. Many people will still tell you what you want to hear, anyway. Their actions will tell you what they really meant.

I used the words, if and several other qualifiers, I treated it as nothing but a rumor and an absurd one.

Their talk means nothing, the walk and action means everything.

A very wise person said something to me, I'll never forget.

By and large, people have good intentions. Many people will still tell you what you want to hear, anyway. Their actions will tell you what they really meant.

True

Thing is...if you went on-line and took a poll of their "fans" it could easily show that majority would favor re-hiring Briles.

I watched how vigorously Penn State fans defended JoPa....so when it comes to football (and probably basketball) nothing much surprises me.

I never really pay much attention to what morons have to say, except to shoot it down.

I'll paraphrase another very intelligent person, Frankel:

We will find there are only two races of people. Those that are the decent, "race", and those that are the, "indecent", race. No group is comprised solely of either.

Not surprising and completely laughable. I'm sad for them. They care more about football than a culture that allowed rape, sexual assault and physical violence to be covered up. But by gawd, we gots us a good head coach..........Astoundingly embarrassing.

Not surprising and completely laughable. I'm sad for them. They care more about football than a culture that allowed rape, sexual assault and physical violence to be covered up. But by gawd, we gots us a good head coach..........Astoundingly embarrassing.

Agreed.

And not only is it evil, the tone deafness is pretty breathtaking.

And in other legal news....four more lawsuits have been filed against NCAA conferences for damages from concussions.

Seems that in the future the most appropriate candidate for a college president might be a Lawyer......well if you don't take into account how the lawyer handled that problem at Baylor though I think he gets minor credit for instigating the investigation by an outside law firm that blew the lid off the problems.

So...I'm back to my premise that legal issues and legal settlements will ultimately be the downfall of most of college football.

ESPN is reporting that a movement to bring Briles back as HC in 2017 has gained a lot of momentum among key donors.

"USA Today reported Monday that what it called a "small minority" of Baylor donors have pushed to have Briles serve a one-year suspension then return to coaching. The newspaper reported it was "unlikely" to happen"

Also of note: Baylor owes Briles 40 mil unless they can show Briles was fired for cause, but as some writers have said, would they be able to do that without releasing a report?

They've been in the shadow of the big boys forever in a very large and very football crazy state. They finally got a seat at the table. They finally felt what it was like to be good. They're desperate to stay there. And none of that forgives any of this in the slightest.

Unfortunately, they can now claim neither moral nor athletic superiority over the big state schools. Quite the opposite, in fact.

They've been in the shadow of the big boys forever in a very large and very football crazy state. They finally got a seat at the table. They finally felt what it was like to be good. They're desperate to stay there. And none of that forgives any of this in the slightest.

Unfortunately, they can now claim neither moral nor athletic superiority over the big state schools. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Don't forget, they also just built a brand new stadium and these big $ boosters don't want to see their money go to waste if the team returns to anonymity.

There is going to be a certain amount of football drop off, right now for Baylor. Be an adult, manage it. Do it the right way, hire a coach with some kind of ability and the ethics not to cover charges like they have faced.

It is what it is, don't compound the problem by pretending it never happened.....The only thing an ostrich does when it puts its head in the sand is leave its rear end exposed.

Don't forget, they also just built a brand new stadium and these big $ boosters don't want to see their money go to waste if the team returns to anonymity.

Ahh, yes, fancy new stadium. As a resident of a city currently building 2 of them- and as witness and sometimes participant to and in the resultant "conversations", to put it politely- I'm starting to believe that we need to go back to true bowls where everybody just brings a blanket and sits on a hill. Maybe 1% of sports fans will ever get to realize an acceptable ROI on the cost of attendance at major sporting events, much less on a regular basis (those fans are called "corporations"). Almost none of us are better off for it.

Whoa. Sorry. Um, yeah, own your screw ups, Baylor. Accept the penalty, remember what was good about the last few years, learn from the mistakes, be ready to rebuild the right way when the opportunity comes. Also, learn from others. Penn State has becomes an almost sympathetic character, and that was even before they could be compared to the Blueprint for Doing It the Wrong Way that you are currently developing in front of a very large audience.

"Suspended under investigation ". His only response, "mistakes were made". Yes they are stacking the deck in a way to ease him back in.

"Suspended under investigation ". His only response, "mistakes were made". Yes they are stacking the deck in a way to ease him back in.

Sadly enough, having had some exposure to the Old Baylor program and the almost cannibalistic Texas High School situation with their who can spend the most on high school stadiums mentality, I have absolutely no problem believing this very

tawdry situation. It's a very sad editorial on the state of affairs in "amateur" sports.

Still waiting on those big donors to conclude that what the AD,President and Chancellor did was really not that bad.....and a one year "unpaid leave" should send the appropriate message.

I hate to see the big $$ guys use their leverage to control something as bad as this. I just don't think those big $$ boosters will get their way in this sh!tstorm.

What I'm waiting to see if the alumni stand up and say enough is enough and that they don't want someone who was a willing participant in disgracing the school as their coach, no matter how many games he won.

What I'm waiting to see if the alumni stand up and say enough is enough and that they don't want someone who was a willing participant in disgracing the school as their coach, no matter how many games he won.

Would be nice to see that, wouldn't it? I always hope Auburn alumni would do that...

Archived