Auburn lands commitment from Presbyterian transfer DeSean Murray

augolf1716

http://www.oanow.com...0fdb67aecc.html

Auburn added some frontcourt depth on Sunday morning — even though the team will have to wait a year to reap the benefits.

The Tigers landed a commitment from Presbyterian transfer DeSean Murray, a 6-foot-5 forward who just completed his sophomore season. Murray confirmed his decision to the Opelika-Auburn News on Sunday afternoon. His commitment was first reported byAuburnSports.com.

Murray led the Big South in scoring as a sophomore this past season, averaging 20.2 points per game while also adding 7.4 rebounds, two steals and 1.7 assists per contest in 29.1 minutes per game. He earned first-team All-Big South Conference honors last season and started all 31 games for the Blue Hose.

As a freshman, Murray was named the conference’s Freshman of the Year after averaging 15.7 points and 8.2 rebounds per game.

Presbyterian announced in March that Murray planned to transfer following the completion of the spring semester.

“This is a difficult decision that I have reached after speaking with my family and others close to me,” Murray said at the time, “and it is based on my desire to pursue a bigger conference, a bigger school, so that I can work to play at the next level.”

The Stanley, N.C., native found that in Auburn. He took an official visit to Auburn’s campus this weekend and chose Auburn over Middle Tennessee State.

Murray will have to sit out the 2016-17 season due to NCAA transfer rules but will be eligible for the 2017-18 season. That season, he will be joined by incoming freshmen Austin Wiley, a five-star power forward out of Spain Park, and Davion Mitchell, a four-star point guard out of Georgia.

Doesn't AU have enough SF or SG? Team really needs another PF.

Great pickup by the Tigers! Now we have insurance in case Purifoy is a one-and-done. Even though he isn't eligible next year, this will only make the team better by playing against this guy in practice every day. 2017 is looking better and better!

Head scratcher. He looks to be a quality player, but not at a position of need, a little small and can't even play this year. We could really use a true C, but maybe one of those is in the works too :dunno:

Head scratcher. He looks to be a quality player, but not at a position of need, a little small and can't even play this year. We could really use a true C, but maybe one of those is in the works too :dunno:

When you can't get the one you love, love the one you can get? There's probably not a center out there that we can get.

A 6'4" power forward is pretty much pointless....Now if he has perimeter skills and is a sg then ok

A 6'4" power forward is pretty much pointless....Now if he has perimeter skills and is a sg then ok

He is like a tweener almost. I don't see how he will fit all if he doesn't have a perimeter game.

"Specifically, Murray wants to add a 3-point shot to his repertoire. At Presbyterian, Murray attempted just 11 3-pointers in two years and made just one of those attempts. He was 0-for-7 from beyond the arc as a sophomore last season"

He is like a tweener almost. I don't see how he will fit all if he doesn't have a perimeter game.

"Specifically, Murray wants to add a 3-point shot to his repertoire. At Presbyterian, Murray attempted just 11 3-pointers in two years and made just one of those attempts. He was 0-for-7 from beyond the arc as a sophomore last season"

I won't count a guy out before he plays but....damn. Maybe he's a strong defender...

You don't always have to have the prototypical measurements to be successful in sports. Some of the greatest rebounders and inside players in bball history were undersized. But they were successful by outworking their opponents. Hopefully this is what Murray brings to the table. The guy obviously has skills with the stats he put up the last 2 years. Those are impressive numbers regardless of what league you are playing in. This guy remind any one else of Bowers?

The next Barkley!!!

Just kidding but lets see how he does first. His size isn't ideal but he could still be a baller. He will need to improve his outside shot though to increase his effectiveness but has 1.5 years to do it.

How about a 6'8" shot blocker?

I didn't see anything in the videos that made me think his success will translate. Sorry

Those really can come in handy

I didn't see anything in the videos that made me think his success will translate. Sorry

What I was thinking strange to me as I was watching I did not see anything that was really impressive. Maybe coaches see something

As succesful as he was no way but he is talented enough to help our depth quite a bit and for Bruce to be able to press more on D like he wants to.

He won't play next year the following year we will have 3 Bigs Wiley, Spencer, Reed plus Danjel Purifoy. This kid will provide some depth allowing us to press on D and he has a nose for the ball. A lot of his rebounds and put backs was because of timing and a quick jump. If you watched him scoring inside against bigger men it is because he shielded the defender with his body add that to getting off the floor quickly. He will be an asset to this team. I am not expecting him to be the scoring machine he was at the lower level but I think he will surprise a lot of people.

If he can give us a productive 5 or 10 minutes a game we will have fresh people in the 4th quarter. This year we had some good players and there were games well we played really good first half's then died in second half because of lack of depth. Along with the three new players this year and the two that have committed for the following year depth will actually be one of Auburn's strengths in the year he will be eligible for Auburn.

Here's another thought: At the rate that college basketball players transfer out it isn't very smart to have empty slots on the roster. Don't keep it filled up and you may one day be looking at starting a season with 7 scholarship guys and and whoever you could pick up from the intramural league. If we had an empty slot, it makes good sense to fill it. This guy doesn't seem like a big solution now but he may just be a starter after three or four other guys wander off to check out the other side of the fence.

Ask and you shall receive. :)

Love it and I completely trust Coach Pearl in what he's doing!!

WDE!!

He won't play next year the following year we will have 3 Bigs Wiley, Spencer, Reed plus Danjel Purifoy. This kid will provide some depth allowing us to press on D and he has a nose for the ball. A lot of his rebounds and put backs was because of timing and a quick jump. If you watched him scoring inside against bigger men it is because he shielded the defender with his body add that to getting off the floor quickly. He will be an asset to this team. I am not expecting him to be the scoring machine he was at the lower level but I think he will surprise a lot of people.

If he can give us a productive 5 or 10 minutes a game we will have fresh people in the 4th quarter. This year we had some good players and there were games well we played really good first half's then died in second half because of lack of depth. Along with the three new players this year and the two that have committed for the following year depth will actually be one of Auburn's strengths in the year he will be eligible for Auburn.

You forgot Mclemore who will be a Soph or RS Frosh then.

Archived