2018 4* RB/KR/ATH Shaun "Worm" Shivers (AU 10/26/16)

RunInRed

16 hours ago, AUBwins said:

@Momma Worm who was Shaun's favorite RB to watch growing up? 

Ricky Williams mainly...... but he watched everyone! he didn't become a true RB until he turned 10 though he started playing at 4 or 5... he use to play outside LB and some RB.  He reads plays very well 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Momma Worm said:

he use to play outside LB

Now we know why he likes to hit people in his way.

• Like 1

In a future game, before a kickoff, I want to be able to use the phrase, "Let's see if Auburn can worm their way out of this hole they're in." Right after that, Shaun gashes the special teams for a 96 yard kick off return.

4 hours ago, AU Is Gold said:

In a future game, before a kickoff, I want to be able to use the phrase, "Let's see if Auburn can worm their way out of this hole they're in." Right after that, Shaun gashes the special teams for a 96 yard kick off return.

I want to like this except it implies we might be behind in a game. I'm hoping Auburn is never trailing in a game ever again. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, fredst said:

I want to like this except it implies we might be behind in a game. I'm hoping Auburn is never trailing in a game ever again. 

• Like 1

You guys are crazy. I can never be realistic with dream scenarios. As much as I would love for Auburn to always be up 4 tds, that is not Auburn football. Not in my lifetime at least...well except that Arkansas game...

3 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

I heard that Shaun got the nickname "Worm" because one day he was running laps so fast that he caused a wormhole in the space-time continuum. 

He created a Flashpoint as well.

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

We're definitely signing Shivers. And almost certainly getting one more. 

The problem is that Shivers is no where near an every down back. While fast and shifty, he is not an between the tackles back at the SEC level. He is a jet sweep guy and throw out of the backfield type back, maybe some returns. Very situational which means defenses will know what is coming when he is in the game.

Need a true back in this class.

5 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

The problem is that Shivers is no where near an every down back. While fast and shifty, he is not an between the tackles back at the SEC level. He is a jet sweep guy and throw out of the backfield type back, maybe some returns. Very situational which means defenses will know what is coming when he is in the game.

TY that was my point

59 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

I don't think you can definitively say that. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I don't think you can definitively say that. 

Cmon.,  5'7" and 165 lbs. There is no way we are recruiting him as an every down back. If we are, we are in a world of hurt at the RB position.

1 hour ago, 80Tiger said:

Looking at his size I should agree with you. But for some reason when I watch him I think he is that back that will surprise people with his power.  I don't mean an every down back between the tackles but a back who when we put in there and everybody is looking for Jet Sweep we fool them with an off tackle run and he breaks free and takes it to the house. Look at his legs they are big for his size. There was a small back from West Virginia a few years ago who beat the Auburn D inside and outside.  Shivers reminds me of him.

• Like 2

Just now, 80Tiger said:

Cmon.,  5'7" and 165 lbs. There is no way we are recruiting him as an every down back. If we are, we are in a world of hurt at the RB position.

Dexter McCluster averaged almost 15 carries a game his senior year at Ole Miss at 170 lbs. Might not qualify as "every down", but it definitely qualifies as "somewhere near" it. 

Last year at Arizona State, Chip Lindsey's leading rusher had fewer carries per game than that. 

I'm not disagreeing that we should be hoping to add a bigger back to the class, and I'm not even saying that it's *likely* that Shivers will get 15 carries a game at Auburn. I just take issue with speaking in absolutes. 

Of course, underestimation has probably helped fuel Shaun to be the spectacular athlete that he is. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Looking at his size I should agree with you. But for some reason when I watch him I think he is that back that will surprise people with his power.  I don't mean an every down back between the tackles but a back who when we put in there and everybody is looking for Jet Sweep we fool them with an off tackle run and he breaks free and takes it to the house. Look at his legs they are big for his size. There was a small back from West Virginia a few years ago who beat the Auburn D inside and outside.  Shivers reminds me of him.

Noel Devine. Stud.

They're rare, but they're out there. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Dexter McCluster averaged almost 15 carries a game his senior year at Ole Miss at 170 lbs. Might not qualify as "every down", but it definitely qualifies as "somewhere near" it. 

Last year at Arizona State, Chip Lindsey's leading rusher had fewer carries per game than that. 

I'm not disagreeing that we should be hoping to add a bigger back to the class, and I'm not even saying that it's *likely* that Shivers will get 15 carries a game at Auburn. I just take issue with speaking in absolutes. 

Of course, underestimation has probably helped fuel Shaun to be the spectacular athlete that he is. 

Just based on the size of the successful AU backs over the last years, I am just projecting him as something other than the true RB position for AU. And for every Dexter McCluster I dare say there are 50 guys of that size at colleges that we cannot name because they were not successful. I think at some point in time Shivers contribution will be 8 to 12 touches per game (if he returns punts). Those touches can be instrumental in success of the team.  He looks to have great open field running ability. I just don't think those touches will come at the RB position.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

That's kinda dissapointing. 2013's offense was so beautiful.

20 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

Just based on the size of the successful AU backs over the last years, I am just projecting him as something other than the true RB position for AU. And for every Dexter McCluster I dare say there are 50 guys of that size at colleges that we cannot name because they were not successful. I think at some point in time Shivers contribution will be 8 to 12 touches per game (if he returns punts). Those touches can be instrumental in success of the team.  He looks to have great open field running ability. I just don't think those touches will come at the RB position.

To me, this reads much differently than "Shivers is nowhere near an every down back".

I think a lot of people would agree with your projection. 

Thing is, I really won't be surprised if we move away from "every down backs" a bit. I don't mean in terms of the kind of RB we recruit- we're obviously going to keep going after that 5'10 210 lb, 4.4 40 protoype- but in terms of the way in which we use them. The NFL is using more of a committee approach and placing more value on college RBs who still have some tread on their tires. Do we see two "primary" guys and maybe even a third who gets meaningful carries?

Almost certainly not apples to apples, but FWIW Lindsey had 3 RBs last year at ASU with over 120 carries and none over 160...

Edited by McLoofus

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

To me, this reads much differently than "Shivers is nowhere an every down back".

I think a lot of people would agree with your projection. 

Thing is, I really won't be surprised if we move away from "every down backs" a bit. I don't mean in terms of the kind of RB we recruit- we're obviously going to keep going after that 5'10 210 lb, 4.4 40 protoype- but in terms of the way in which we use them. The NFL is using more of a committee approach and placing more value on college RBs who still have some tread on their tires. Do we see two "primary" guys and maybe even a third who gets meaningful carries? Almost certainly not apples to apples, but FWIW Lindsey had 3 RBs last year at ASU with over 120 carries and none over 160...

I hope you are right. Historically we "ride that horse" until it drops.  I would think it benefits AU as a team and players with futures not to give a single guy 25 to 30 carriers a game. 3 guys splitting 40 running plays and another 30 to 35 passing plays makes for a nice O.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Noel Devine. Stud.

They're rare, but they're out there. 

A couple in our football history are, Lionel (Lil-train) James and James Brooks.

• Like 2