2018 4* RB/KR/ATH Shaun "Worm" Shivers (AU 10/26/16)

RunInRed

Just now, JFDTiger80 said:

A couple in our football history are, Lionel (Lil-train) James and James Brooks.

Almost mentioned those guys, but I recently played the "what happened 20+ years ago doesn't matter" card so I didn't want to get called out, lol.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

I hope you are right. Historically we "ride that horse" until it drops.  I would think it benefits AU as a team and players with futures not to give a single guy 25 to 30 carriers a game. 3 guys splitting 40 running plays and another 30 to 35 passing plays makes for a nice O.

Agreed. We definitely rode Pettway til he dropped last year. And it's amazing that Tre never dropped in 2013. Would definitely go against Gus's tendencies to shift to a committee approach. 

Thanks for the good conversation. I hope we get Mr. Martin!

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Almost mentioned those guys, but I recently played the "what happened 20+ years ago doesn't matter" card so I didn't want to get called out, lol.

Funny. I think it is sometimes cool to add an AU connection to the conversation......however old. I do think Shivers is a tough kid and will be a great asset to us. Love that we got him and all his speed.

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Agreed. We definitely rode Pettway til he dropped last year. And it's amazing that Tre never dropped in 2013. Would definitely go against Gus's tendencies to shift to a committee approach. 

Thanks for the good conversation. I hope we get Mr. Martin!

It can be very helpful in Gus's offense if we don't have to substitute players a lot. It slows things down a lot if we sub in guys, and the defense gets a chance then to sub as well.

3 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

Funny. I think it is sometimes cool to add an AU connection to the conversation......however old. I do think Shivers is a tough kid and will be a great asset to us. Love that we got him and all his speed.

Oh, absolutely. I'm glad you brought up Lil Train for sure. And I bet he would still be very good in the modern college game. 

1 minute ago, JFDTiger80 said:

It can be very helpful in Gus's offense if we don't have to substitute players a lot. It slows things down a lot if we sub in guys, and the defense gets a chance then to sub as well.

Agreed, but you can start new possessions with new guys. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Agreed, but you can start new possessions with new guys. 

Yes, agree. We should do that. We have the talent for it

1 hour ago, 80Tiger said:

5'7" and 165 lbs

Here's a thought. Why are we assuming that he will be playing at 165?  I mean, he probably won't get much taller, but several months in Coach Russell's program has been know to pack on quite a few pounds. With his attitude and drive, and some hard work in the weight room, I could see him becoming a Josh Robinson type back, except faster... squirting through holes and hard to take down once he has a head of steam.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 80Tiger said:

The problem is that Shivers is no where near an every down back

Don't be so sure of that. Noel Devine did very well in a similar RPO offense.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

He was so fast. I still have flashbacks of him gashing us in 08/09. 

23 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Holy crap! Scout has Worm the #1043 recruit overall in the class. That's a huge pile of cow patties.

That is such a pile of horse crap!  And I am not just saying that because momma is on here.  This kid has speed that you can't teach and power.  He may not be the 6'2" 220lb guy running up the middle every play, but he has great vision and the drive to get where he wants to go.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

I believe Worm has been highly motivated his entire life.

Agreed... but now he's motivated to show them how wrong they are. Nothing is more fun than making it obvious just how wrong someone is about you when they do something insulting like that, and watch them stumble all over themselves trying to explain it away.

• Like 1

People I know in South Florida can't say enough about Worm, not just speed but his strength and toughness. They mention him as a faster Sproles. I think he'll do more at AU than just be a jet-sweep and kick return guy. He'll wind up about the same size as Noel Devine, who gave us fits as an every-down back while he was at WVA.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

59 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

That is such a pile of horse crap!  And I am not just saying that because momma is on here.  This kid has speed that you can't teach and power.  He may not be the 6'2" 220lb guy running up the middle every play, but he has great vision and the drive to get where he wants to go.

And he's small, which means we only need to open a small hole for him to get through, leaving the D in his dust.

Edited by lionheartkc
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Noel Devine is the exception to the rule. Will Shivers be? I hope so. But do you really think we are recruiting him to be a guy that can carry 20+ times a game with some of those between the tackles?

2 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

Noel Devine is the exception to the rule. Will Shivers be? I hope so. But do you really think we are recruiting him to be a guy that can carry 20+ times a game with some of those between the tackles?

I'm willing to believe that the coaches are open to the possibility. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

What we are recruiting him as and what he can become can be 2 separate things.  If I am not mistaking Pettway was not recruited as a RB but due to depth issues he became one.  If Shivers can prove that he can handle 20 touches a game after being at AU for a year or two then I will be they will find a way to get him more involved.  He may not have 1,000 yards rushing every year, but 1,000 all purpose yards (not counting PR & KR) would not be unheard of.  With his speed, it is going to be very difficult to cover him with a LB on wheel routes.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

What we are recruiting him as and what he can become can be 2 separate things.  If I am not mistaking Pettway was not recruited as a RB but due to depth issues he became one.  If Shivers can prove that he can handle 20 touches a game after being at AU for a year or two then I will be they will find a way to get him more involved.  He may not have 1,000 yards rushing every year, but 1,000 all purpose yards (not counting PR & KR) would not be unheard of.  With his speed, it is going to be very difficult to cover him with a LB on wheel routes.

I am not disagreeing with your premise; wheel routes, returns, etc. Open field touches. Will it be 20? I don't know, but in this league, big backs seem to do better. Look at our own past; our backs tend to be 210+.  Loofus said it earlier; hopefully we are moving away from one guy getting 20+ touches from the RB position. Spread the wealth.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Momma Worm said:

he is actually 5'7 and 185 about a month ago. & he has gotten bigger since then. 

You're just scaring me now, Momma. That is one baaaaad dude you're talking about.

Shaun's gonna have them heads ringin'...

Edit: BIG language warning...

Edited by McLoofus
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Momma Worm said:

he is actually 5'7 and 185 about a month ago. & he has gotten bigger since then. 

Give em heck Momma. Don't let these fans try to limit what your boy can do.

• Like 1