2018 4* RB/KR/ATH Shaun "Worm" Shivers (AU 10/26/16)

RunInRed

11 hours ago, corchjay said:

@Momma Worm Just checking in to see how Shaun is doing in the offseason and to let you know us fans at AUFamily are still here.  Would love some inside info on camps especially if he is participating in any 7v7's in the Birmingham/Montgomery area?

Hey how are you.... Shaun is in track season now. We have State this weekend. He didn't play much 7v7 this year, which he never does. But when he plays 7v7 he plays cornerback. His last game was in Las Vegas. In which he caught a pick. It was amazing because they look at his size and under-estimate him. He is actually an even better defensive player which is crazy. He reads defenses very well which helps him in the running back position. He is healthy and is a top contender in the 100 and 200 again this year. He has been the only runner to participate in state in the 100 and 200 meter finals in state since his freshman year, where is was the only freshman participating. Worm actually PR'd in the 200 at the Regional Meet running 20.9. He runs in the fastest class in the country, where the top runner is running 10.1 in the 100 & 20.6 in the 200, Anthony Schwartz.  I will let you guys know how this weekend goes.... wish us luck!

You can watch the 200 Regional here! Top US# 7 time http://fl.milesplit.com/videos/205299

Image may contain: 1 person, outdoornormalnormal

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

How in the world am I just reading all of this? And @Momma Worm has to be the best name in this boards history.  I'm told Chip is very very excited about having Shaun. Very. 

Thank you #WDE

10 minutes ago, Momma Worm said:

Hey how are you.... Shaun is in track season now. We have State this weekend. He didn't play much 7v7 this year, which he never does. But when he plays 7v7 he plays cornerback. His last game was in Las Vegas. In which he caught a pick. It was amazing because they look at his size and under-estimate him. He is actually an even better defensive player which is crazy. He reads defenses very well which helps him in the running back position. He is healthy and is a top contender in the 100 and 200 again this year. He has been the only runner to participate in state in the 100 and 200 meter finals in state since his freshman year, where is was the only freshman participating. Worm actually PR'd in the 200 at the Regional Meet running 20.9. He runs in the fastest class in the country, where the top runner is running 10.1 in the 100 & 20.6 in the 200, Anthony Schwartz.  I will let you guys know how this weekend goes.... wish us luck!

You can watch the 200 Regional here! Top US# 7 time http://fl.milesplit.com/videos/205299

Thank you for the update Momma. 

I think Shaun could become legendary with crazy speed and our growing ability to throw downfield.   Coach Lindsey is probably stuttering because so many thoughts have to be running through his head!  

BEST OF LUCK with the state track meet!  I got to compete twice in Winter Park (if that's where they still hold state).  FL track and field at the state level is elite.  Thanks for the updates, I enjoy reading them.

19 minutes ago, Beaker said:

I think Shaun could become legendary with crazy speed and our growing ability to throw downfield.   Coach Lindsey is probably stuttering because so many thoughts have to be running through his head!  

Also with Lindsey's desire to throw to the backs out of the backfield.  Shaun could be deadly on some wheel routes with a 250+ LB trying to keep up with him.

If Shaun has vision and patience, then he could be a first down machine in our offense, *especially* at his size. With his leg drive and low center of gravity, he'll be able to find holes and creases that a lot of guys couldn't, get into and through them, and maintain some momentum after. And linebackers will sometimes lose him behind the line. He'll win pad level every time. And if he can outpace guys once he gets to the second level, watch out. 

Hopefully, and maybe @bigbird will agree, we'll see KMart exhibit some of these tendencies this season. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Momma Worm said:

Maybe him & Anthony Schwartz will be teammates, I assume we are still heavy after him as well (you can't coach speed).

2 minutes ago, AUMASTERS said:

Maybe him & Anthony Schwartz will be teammates, I assume we are still heavy after him as well (you can't coach speed).

AS is a heavy Florida lean. Not sure how hard we are going after him now.

Just now, ellitor said:

AS is a heavy Florida lean. Not sure how hard we are going after him now.

Sorry to hear that.

Worm may not be big but I look at the thighs on him he will player a lot bigger than what you would expect from his weight. He will surprise people and break tackles not just beat you with his speed.

• Like 3

I may be wrong in my assessment, but I could see him in the Hastings type role.

• Like 1

Barry Sanders played at 5'8" and between 175-180# in college.   One page had him at 5'10" while the Lions had him at 5'8"....he left the NFL at 200# I read.

I share this to make a similar comparison in stature to The Worm.   Sanders was elusive because they couldn't see him behind the O Line until the last moment (and his incredible speed AND crazy agility).  Could be a similar advantage for The Worm.

Definitely a unique set of skills.

33 minutes ago, bigbird said:

From my perspective on Hastings role or the KMart role depends on how well he can block on blitz pickup.  Some little guys know how to block and some big guys don't know.  That's the little things in football that wins games for you.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

From my perspective on Hastings role or the KMart role depends on how well he can block on blitz pickup.  Some little guys know how to block and some big guys don't know.  That's the little things in football that wins games for you.  

What I have noticed, is it seems we are expecting our smaller backs to pick up blitzes in the same manner as our bigger backs.  KP, MM, and KJ can step up and take on the block, but KMart and Truitt weren't able to do it that way effectively. I haven't seen the smaller ones try and cut any blitzes, just seem to step up and get run over. Thoughts on them picking up the blitz in a way that is more conducive to their size?

39 minutes ago, bigbird said:

What I have noticed, is it seems we are expecting our smaller backs to pick up blitzes in the same manner as our bigger backs.  KP, MM, and KJ can step up and take on the block, but KMart and Truitt weren't able to do it that way effectively. I haven't seen the smaller ones try and cut any blitzes, just seem to step up and get run over. Thoughts on them picking up the blitz in a way that is more conducive to their size?

First of all never should a LB or DE be just running free toward the QB (backfield).  An interior lineman should be able to get a hand to knock them off balance or adjust their angle of pursuit thus helping the RB.  Safety/CB blitz is a different story the back must be able to at least slow them down.  That's why the blitz in the UGA game last year was so weird we were just allowing the MLB a free run into the backfield.  

• Like 1

Did anyone else read Momma Worm's thoughts on his skills at corner back and think... hmmmmm... maybe he can provide some much needed depth for a year as he waits his turn to be a starter at running back?  Could be Rudy in reverse.

• Like 1

How bout those tree trunks for thighs...this one has some serious power in that compact body.  Flat out impressive...

• Like 3

19 hours ago, bigbird said:

The only thing I can think of is to put all their effort into deflection, rather than trying to stop/slow down the pass rusher. That way, the QB at least has a chance to step up or to the side and keep his eyes down field...but I feel sure the coaches teach that anyway, if it is effective.

On 5/4/2017 at 8:05 PM, bigbird said:

A lot of times it is because they wait for the person to get to them rather than step up and meet them. It is all about momentum. A little guy who steps into them and get low with a straight back can slow a bigger man down. It is desire and technique. I won't deny it helps to be big also but there are some smaller guys who are really good blockers.

Edited by AuburnNTexas

I did not realize how ridiculously fast Worm is!  He is also thicker than I thought. He does remind me of Corey Grant physically. Now if he has agility, good hands, and good vision along with the ability to use his power to get those extra yards he could wind up being an absolute beast at AU!!!  

On 5/4/2017 at 5:59 PM, bigbird said:

I agree with this. I want to see him get a shot at RB if that's where he's projected. Seems like he's got a great quick burst and would be able to get separation without a problem. 

I also think he'd be dangerous receiving out of the backfield. On slip screens, he wouldnt be able to be found behind his blockers and definitely has the speed to take it home. 

• Like 1