TSD done, Reed not returning

http://m.oanow.com/s...a.html?mode=jqm

Please post the article. (Was on mobile, hard to do)

Tahj Shamsid-Deen’s basketball career came to an unfortunate end on Friday, while teammate Taryvon Reed’s Auburn career also came to a close.

The program announced early Friday afternoon that Shamsid-Deen, who endured a multitude of shoulder injuries and surgeries during the last two seasons, is calling it quits following his latest injury, while Reed will not return to Auburn’s program next season.

“Tahj gave it all he had,” Auburn head coach Bruce Pearl said in a statement. “He continued to fight and come back many, many times and that shows how tough he is. The doctors say he has been through a lot, and it is time. He is a true student-athlete, with the student being first.

“There is no telling what kind of a season we could have had had we not lost our starting point guard, our best perimeter defender and a true leader.”

Shamsid-Deen’s Auburn career was derailed by shoulder injuries during his final two seasons of action.

As a sophomore in 2014-15, the Dactur, Ga., native sustained multiple shoulder injuries which cut his campaign 11 games short when he underwent a pair of procedures—the first on his left shoulder on Feb, 19, 2015 and the other on his right shoulder March 24, 2015. Shamsid-Deen rehabbed through the summer and was cleared to play when fall practices began last year, but his right shoulder popped out of place again during a practice on Oct. 28 when he made contact with a teammate.

It was the first of three separate shoulder subluxations for Shamsid-Deen last season, and it caused him to miss the season opener against UAB on Nov. 13. He returned against Colorado on Nov. 17, but he reinjured his shoulder 10 days later in the first half of the Tigers’ game against Northwestern State, causing him to miss the next two games. He returned against Mercer before sustaining a third shoulder injury against Xavier that effectively ended his season—and ultimately his playing career.

The 5-foot-9 point guard appeared in just five games last season while averaging 2.6 points, 1.2 rebounds and 1.6 assists per game in just 11.6 minutes per contest. He underwent another shoulder procedure — his third in 11 months — in late January and had hoped to work his way back onto the court, though Pearl feared Shamsid-Deen’s playing career could be over because the guard is “genetically predisposed to having, for lack of a better explanation, some loose shoulders.”

“It has been tough,” Shamsid-Deen said in a statement. “It is probably my first injury I ever have had. For those to be the first injuries and to end my career is pretty devastating. My parents built the foundation where school would always be a backup plan for me.”

Deen started all 30 games for Auburn as a freshman in 2013-14, becoming the first Auburn freshman to start every game since Quantez Robertson in 2005-06. He will graduate in December with a degree in finance and plans on pursuing a master’s degree with an MBA and MSS beginning in January.

“My parents always set that foundation where I would have to do schoolwork if I wanted to play basketball,” Shamsid-Deen said. “That has definitely come into play now that I have decided to end my career in basketball. I am glad that I did that. That has always been my M.O. to get my work done in order to play basketball.”

While Shamsid-Deen saw his playing career come to an end, Reed saw his on-again, off-again Auburn career come to a halt on Friday.

The 7-foot-2 sophomore center will be leaving the team, according to Pearl. Reed redshirted last season after missing the fall while not enrolled in classes at Auburn for “personal reasons.” He re-enrolled in classes in the spring and rejoined the team in mid-January.

“Trayvon worked extremely hard during his redshirt season to come back,” Pearl said. “I wish him well in the future.”

The Mobile native joined Auburn’s team in December 2014 and appeared in 23 games that season. His best performance came in a double-overtime win against Xavier that season, when he finished with four points, five rebounds and a career-high five blocks.

He averaged 1.1 points and two rebounds per game while playing 8.9 minutes per game as a freshman, but that’s the only time he saw the court during his tenure at Auburn.

Reed served a 15-day jail sentence last May in Maryland stemming from charges of second-degree assault and theft of under $100 following an incident at a 7-Eleven near the College Park campus of Maryland, where he was signed to play at the time.

“I appreciate all of the people who have helped me at Auburn,” Reed said in a statement. “I am grateful to my coaches and teammates for all of their support.”

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone surprised by this news? If so, that's hard to believe.

Can't say that I'm surprised.

Agreed. Let's just keep this to T-Reed instead of an indictment of Bruce pearl like 64 tries to push.

Really, no one should be surprised by Reed not returning, but it is disappointing. Hope BP can get the team another big man for the Fall. If not, the team is going to be very short on big men.

I'm surprised because Pearl said he was doing well and gaining weight.

Agreed. Let's just keep this to T-Reed instead of an indictment of Bruce pearl like 64 tries to push.

I'm OK with my position on this. Sorry it did not work out but the guy should have never been at AU....JMO....

I'm OK with my position on this. Sorry it did not work out but the guy should have never been at AU....JMO....

That's fine. I just did not wanting you getting on your soapbox on it again, which you haven't. Thank you.

That's fine. I just did not wanting you getting on your soapbox on it again, which you haven't. Thank you.

:)

:)

Dang 64, I didn't realize you were on a Thompson AND Pearl soapbox. :soapbox: Yet, you're still on the Malzahn bandwagon if I remember correctly. You're an enigma wrapped in a conundrum lol. I don't agree with it all the time, but I always respect the back and forth, even though you're wrong :trampoline:

Well that unfortunate for both these guys. I figured tahj was done but was hoping reed could have been an unexpected success story. We'll have to have some good hairs play next year if we hope to compete

:)/>

Dang 64, I didn't realize you were on a Thompson AND Pearl soapbox. :soapbox:/> Yet, you're still on the Malzahn bandwagon if I remember correctly. You're an enigma wrapped in a conundrum lol. I don't agree with it all the time, but I always respect the back and forth, even though you're wrong :trampoline:/>

Has me confused as well.

You're an enigma wrapped in a conundrum lol.

I can assure you that 64 is NOT wrapped in a condom. Oh, wait.... :)

You're an enigma wrapped in a conundrum lol.

I can assure you that 64 is NOT wrapped in a condom. Oh, wait.... :)

OK ,OK....but I'm waiting for Cole.to comment. For the record I am barely in Gus's corner...otherwise I just try to draw conclusions on how I see each doing his job....and it more than W-L to everyone I think. One size does not fit all...even with conundrums .....but keep up the encouragement.... :)

Anyone else notice in the different articles about these 2 ... The amount of type and praising quotes for TSD and then the "oh by the way" for reed.

TSD deserves every one of those accolades. He is the kind of athlete that gets my utmost respect.

Anyone else notice in the different articles about these 2 ... The amount of type and praising quotes for TSD and then the "oh by the way" for reed.

TSD deserves every one of those accolades. He is the kind of athlete that gets my utmost respect.

Agree. ...the kid gave everything including his future good health on behalf of AU. He deserves some serious recognition for his effort.....went way beyond what was wise, in my view, with repeated surgeries and despite his injuries, he never gave less than 100% on the floor.

I think we all knew in the back of our mind that SOMETHING was going to happen to Reed. Whether it was while trying to reenroll, or getting eligible, or even during basketball season. I remember seeing him play when he was here, and i remember some games when i thought he was going to get a sure technical or get ejected. He seemed to easily pushed to a reaction that was going to turn into a punch or an elbow. I think it was best to see him go now...I didnt want another Canty, or Bower situation...

So any immediately eligible grads out there that can play Center? Surely CBP has already contacted some big guys to fill the spot

That ship has probably sailed......but Villanova won a national championship without a true center. Just need some guys who will rebound and play some good inside defense. Seems we might have that now.....though I've lost track of which new players are immediately eligible.

So any immediately eligible grads out there that can play Center? Surely CBP has already contacted some big guys to fill the spot

May not be a Center. Bruce likes athletic bigs whether they be a big Forward or a C. A GT Big we are still working on is La. Tech GT Merrill Holden.

At the high school level There is Romello White in the 2016 class. Our new coach got him to sign w/ Ga. Tech but he just asked out of his NLI. Not sure if Tech has released him yet or not.

Thanks E, I mean I think we would be ok without filling the spot but I think CBP will really try to find a guy. I wasn't meaning a Center just somone to play the position, I know he likes 3 guards and 2 big Forwards who can press.

Reed had too much to get past I guess. A long shot not to screw up. I don't blame BP for taking a shot. 7'2" is hard to find.

Thanks E, I mean I think we would be ok without filling the spot but I think CBP will really try to find a guy. I wasn't meaning a Center just somone to play the position, I know he likes 3 guards and 2 big Forwards who can press.

My understanding is it's highly likely we add someone.

Archived