2018 3* NG/DT Timaje Porter

RunInRed

First 2018 DL commit upcoming?

Unlike last cycle, expect the defensive line to be a centerpiece of the 2018 recruiting class.

Auburn ended up taking three defensive linemen in the 2017 class, but all three came post-Christmas and two of them committed on National Signing Day. The Tigers likely will take more D-linemen and take them earlier this time around.

The first one who could drop: 3-star defensive tackle Timaje Porter from Theodore, Ala. Porter officially set his commitment date for March 24, which will take place via a hat ceremony at Theodore High School.

He’s down to two schools — Auburn and LSU.

Porter visited Auburn most recently on March 4 and hinted a decision was looming. Porter said LSU and Florida likely would receive visits before he made his announcement.

Florida won’t. LSU will.

Porter returns to Death Valley on March 18, the weekend before his commitment ceremony.

DSC_0070_cad2pv.jpg
Auburn DT target Timaje Porter (Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)

What does he need to learn to be certain about his pick?

“There’s nothing more at Auburn. … I just need to see how my LSU visit goes,” Porter said.

Porter is most familiar with Auburn.

He has visited the Plains five times in the past year, which includes trips for games, practices and junior day events. Porter said defensive line coach Rodney Garner is the coach he’s closest with in the recruiting process.

Plus, Auburn’s rich stable of Mobile-area players on the roster gives Porter more of an at-home vibe.

“You can just tell that, if I come here, that’s what I’d have — a brotherhood,” Porter said. “They know what I come through and what I’ve been through as a whole if we were to play together. … Me wanting them and them wanting me is a good thing to have right now.”

The 6-foot-2, 320-pound Porter is ranked the No. 31 defensive tackle in the nation.

Keith called this awhile ago saying he did not think LSU or Auburn were ready to take his commitment.

Smart move to put a hold on committing.  See if this kid has the desire to improve on his own.  Body reshaping and working on some small things like pad level, explosiveness, and violent hands can go a long way for his up coming Sr. season.  If he can get his weight down to any under 300 and he might surprise us.

Timaje Porter explains change of plans

It was set to be a big Friday for Auburn defensive tackle target Timaje Porter. The big day remains near, just not as close as originally planned.

Porter opted to push back his commitment date — which was set for March 24 — after his weekend visit to Baton Rouge, which conveniently matched up with his trip for the Nike Opening camp in New Orleans. Porter originally planned to choose between Auburn and LSU. That decision hasn’t changed, but he wants more time to make that choice.

by-Sam-Spiegelman-3_fblxya.jpg
Auburn DT target Sam Spiegelman (Sam Spiegelman/SEC Country)

“Really just the visit opened my eyes that there’s more out there than what the schools look like. It’s a process. I feel like I need to get more acquainted with both schools,” Porter told Spiegelman. “I’ll still make my decision more sooner than later. If it’s not the spring, it’ll still be the summer.”

Porter received an offer from LSU over the weekend. That capped off a successful visit with head coach Ed Oregeron and defensive line coach Pete Jenkins.

All in all, he enjoyed the trip to Louisiana.

“It was perfect, everything about it. Have you tasted LSU food? I don’t know what they do to their food, but it’s different than Alabama, man,” Porter said. “But time with Coach O and Pete Jenkins went real well.”

Archived