Haley Fagan is Back!

Really good news. Glad she is ready because she would lose the year of eligibility anyway. At least she can play even it is just batting. Here's hoping she's in mid-season form and if so, her bat could be huge for our post season run.

Awesome. That could keep the innings going to flip the lineup

I think she could have applied for a sixth year due to the injury. The NCAA usually grants that. However, this team is close to CWS ability and one more big bat could make a difference in the coming weeks. If she hits in mid-season form getting her in the lineup could well be worth the lost year.

The word on the street was that Haley had very slim chances of being granted a 6th year because she already redshirted after leaving South Alabama. I guess the thought is that since she is cleared to bat, we might as well use her. I hope she is in good enough form to contribute.

The word on the street was that Haley had very slim chances of being granted a 6th year because she already redshirted after leaving South Alabama. I guess the thought is that since she is cleared to bat, we might as well use her. I hope she is in good enough form to contribute.

She's still only a Jr guys. Let's worry about a 6th year after next season.

If she plays this season, there will be no 6th year to worry about, she won't qualify for a 6th season. That having been said, the 6th year usually applies to players that first used their normal redshirt year, then got hurt for another year. I can see no reason why Fagan wouldn't have been granted a 6th year.

Now, she may not want a 6th year. Some people graduate and get ready to move on with their lives instead of hanging around taking grad courses and playing another year of college ball. Also if the coaches think our best shot at winning the CWS is this year then it makes sense to use Fagan's year up, even if it's just for the post season. If this team has an offensive weakness, it's that we're missing a big hitter in the bottom half of the lineup.

If she plays this season, there will be no 6th year to worry about, she won't qualify for a 6th season. That having been said, the 6th year usually applies to players that first used their normal redshirt year, then got hurt for another year. I can see no reason why Fagan wouldn't have been granted a 6th year.

Now, she may not want a 6th year. Some people graduate and get ready to move on with their lives instead of hanging around taking grad courses and playing another year of college ball. Also if the coaches think our best shot at winning the CWS is this year then it makes sense to use Fagan's year up, even if it's just for the post season. If this team has an offensive weakness, it's that we're missing a big hitter in the bottom half of the lineup.

Didn't the NCAA just revamp that last year saying players did not have to appeal for a 6th year anymore. If they missed 2 full seasons either by injury or injury and transfer they would be given a 6th year to play 4. I remember this coming up last may.

Not everyone WANTS to spend 6 years in college.

True, but some of us had to. :)

About the 6th year, I don't think it would have been a problem BUT: If she can help us this time and isn't interested in spending two more years in school, playing her now makes the most sense.

• 5 months later...

Nice article about Haley Fagan in Inside the Auburn Tigers last week by Michael Giddens.  Sorry I do not know how to provide the link.  I was not aware that this was her second surgery.  I thought she played very well in fall ball and hit the longest home run I have seen in person at a softball game. 

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 5:20 PM, Mikey said:

True, but some of us had to. :)

About the 6th year, I don't think it would have been a problem BUT: If she can help us this time and isn't interested in spending two more years in school, playing her now makes the most sense.

I think that was a good move last spring....and if she enjoys school and loves softball, why not try for another year. I was there 6+ in all and even then noticed lots of interesting courses I would have liked to take if I had the money to stay longer.     Once you have that first degree....everything after that is enjoyment....JMO

Archived