new commitment

mcgufcm

i didn't see it anywhere on here so i figured i'd be the first to welcome jonothan wilhite as the latest auburn tiger to commit. he's a 5'11", 185 pound juco corner back from butler (same place we got rudi... and daniel cobb). i was hoping we'd land him or walter mcfadden (or both) so it's great to have another fast corner to compete for an open position next year. war eagle and welcome aboard jonothan!

(as reported by rivals.com)

Where's SKCAUB when you need him?  Link?  (Did I do that right?)

139469[/snapback]

I'm rightchear ! :P

How many stars?...HOW MANY STARS?

They don't count unless they "got" a bunch of STARS!

(Just ask bg) :lol::lol::lol::lol:

He's a 3* JUCO Cornerback - but he will not be able to report until summer or fall due to needed credits.

Also, I don't live and die by stars - but you should recognize that the talent level IS very important . .look at the 2004 Tigers:

Jason Campbell - 5*

Carnell Williams - 5*

Ben Obonamu - 5*

Devin Aromashadu - 4*

Anthony Mix - 4*

Marcus McNeai - 4*

It will be the summer. Even though he only needs 3 more credits to qualify, he is taking a full load to count towards graduation. Also, he and Frantz Hardy are good buds. He says that Hardy has it between Nebraska and Auburn, but that he would like to play with JW.

He's a 3* JUCO Cornerback - but he will not be able to report until summer or fall due to needed credits.

Also, I don't live and die by stars - but you should recognize that the talent level IS very important . .look at the 2004 Tigers:

Jason Campbell - 5*

Carnell Williams - 5*

Ben Obonamu - 5*

Devin Aromashadu - 4*

Anthony Mix - 4*

Marcus McNeai - 4*

139478[/snapback]

Great post Chuck. Don't get hung up on "stars" folks. As Chuck mentions "talent" is the key. CTT and staff have repeatedly said they don't have a clue what other people rate these kids. This staff does their own evaluations and select accordingly. I like their results. Also note the small number of so-called 5 Star players on last years TEAM that went 13-0. WDE!!!

i think he was saying that star ratings sometimes accurately reflect a higher level of talent. i could just be misreading it though.

The "Star" ratings systems are always debatable, but or for the most part accurate.

I agree with chuck and have always been of the school of thought that 5 * players are dead on athletes and are a certain success! There are always exceptions, of course. But for the most part, like 9 out of 10 of these 5 Star players will be NFL caliber by soph and junior year. if not frosh year. Many are rarely redshirted, though some are obviously. Where as, 4 and 3 stars are a little more work and take time to develop.

They might be a dansby or thomas davis (great athletes at another position originally), but take a couple years to be big impact players.

For the most part I agree with the star ratings system.

If a player is a 6.1 according to rivals, you can be CERTAIN he is the REAL deal!

I may have misread Chuck's post. My apologies. However, I stand by mine. Hard to argue 13-0 with a handful of so-called 5 Star players. Right? WDE!!!

For a limited time only...you can buy an extra star for your recruit, from the National Star Registry!!! Just $150,000!!!!!!!!!!!! :au::homer:

to my knowledge, the only 5* recruit we have signed over the last 4-5 years that hasn't panned out is Brandon Jacobs.

that being said . .here is a list of 4 starts

Never Panned out:

Justin Bruce

Doug Morris

Brandon Williams

Forrest Tucker

Courtney Denson

Lemarcus Rowell

Success!

Tony Bell

Leon Hart

Quenten Groves

Stanley McClover

Devin Aromashadu

TJ Jackson

Marcus McNeil

Montae Pitts

Tre Smith

TBD

Pat Sims

Jarrod Britt

Tez Doolittle

Tim Duckworth

Brandon Cox

In other words - the success level of 5*'s (75%) is a bit higher then 4*'s (60%)

This is a great commitment...we'll have wilhite competing with Pitts (competition is always good for the team...see Ronnie and Caddy) and Irons on the other side. Herring will get better (hopefully) and we shall see about Powers getting some PT.

Who do you guys think will fill the FS spot?

Is Tony Bell going to save us from Will Herring by beating him out in spring practice?

139615[/snapback]

That's the kind of crap we don't need here! Will Herring is doing his best, and he's working to get better every day. He's made some plays. We need to encourage him to keep working and get better. If we have someone who plays better at any position next year, that person will be playing. Lay off of the ball busting of current players.

i'll say the same thing i said about will last year. he's got improving to do. at the end of last year, he couldn't get his shadow on the ground. this year, he was CLEARLY at his best in run support. he had trouble with positioning (especially in two-deep) and open field tackling this year. if he improves as much from this season to next as he did frosh to soph, he'll be the starter, and he'll be one heck of a player. if he doesn't he'll either lose his starting job or he'll get moved to linebacker. simple as that. the one thing i know is, if he's starting, it's b/c he's conquered more of his problems on the field, and i'll have even more confidence in him.

it's not outside the realm of possibility that he backs up kevin sears, karibi dede backs up a.t., tony bell and steve gandy (or erik brock and kevin hobbs who appears to be a really solid free safety) start at the safety spots. but i also wouldn't be shocked to see will take over strong safety to play closer to the line and kevin or one of the others man free, and have two of those frosh linebackers second string.

Archived