2018 3* RB La'Damian "Butterbean" Webb

AU80cruiser

16 minutes ago, aufan57 said:

"With (things like) the inside zone, he's got the ability to not be seen," Beauregard head coach Rob Carter told AL.com in January. "He kind of hides behind all those big linemen."

Underappreciated quality. Lots of smaller backs are excelling because of this ability. Tre was able to do it to an extent, too.

On 3/5/2017 at 4:21 PM, The Plainsman said:

But some of that is on Clint too.   In today's game,. A good QB matters. 

Oh, definitely. Not saying Clint was going to lead us to the promised land, only that he might've been good enough to be respectable in a more high functioning offense. And I think that goes for Frazier and Trotter, too. Folks talk about how bad we were in 2012, but we were already that bad- top to bottom- halfway through 2011. Go back and watch the LSU game from that year, if you dare. It's the stuff of nightmares. It took years off those kids' lives. 

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Oh, definitely. Not saying Clint was going to lead us to the promised land, only that he might've been good enough to be respectable in a more high functioning offense. And I think that goes for Frazier and Trotter, too. Folks talk about how bad we were in 2012, but we were already that bad- top to bottom- halfway through 2011. Go back and watch the LSU game from that year, if you dare. It's the stuff of nightmares. It took years off those kids' lives. 

And it mostly stemmed from the fact that 2010, while the year of Cam, was also blessed with a top O-Line made of Seniors.... who were all gone in 2011. I like to refer to 2011 and 2012 as the years of the QB running for his life.

5 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

And it mostly stemmed from the fact that 2010, while the year of Cam, was also blessed with a top O-Line made of Seniors.... who were all gone in 2011. I like to refer to 2011 and 2012 as the years of the QB running for his life.

Exactly.

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 10:33 AM, lionheartkc said:

There is a correlation between how well the QB plays and how well the O-line plays. That is why even though everybody has their hopes up about Stidham. The O-line will have multiple new faces and some of the old faces may be in a different position. O-line play is not just about how well each individual plays but how well they work as a unit that takes time even with skilled players and even more time when so many will be new to the unit or in a different position. I believe we will be good this coming year but the O-line especially in the first few games will be key to how good we will be. 

30 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

There is a correlation between how well the QB plays and how well the O-line plays. That is why even though everybody has their hopes up about Stidham. The O-line will have multiple new faces and some of the old faces may be in a different position. O-line play is not just about how well each individual plays but how well they work as a unit that takes time even with skilled players and even more time when so many will be new to the unit or in a different position. I believe we will be good this coming year but the O-line especially in the first few games will be key to how good we will be. 

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Will record-setter receive offer? He sure hopes so

La’Damian Webb has accomplished it all, it seems.

The running back from Beauregard (Ala.) became the first junior in Alabama history to be named Mr. Football. That came after a 3,242-yard, 53-touchdown season in the state’s 5A classification. Those numbers include a state championship game that featured 51 carries, 359 yards, 5 touchdowns — all state records — and, yes, a title game victory.

Webb transitioned smoothly to recruiting success, too.

The 3-star running back snagged offers from Indiana, Iowa State, Toledo, Missouri, Southern Miss and Ole Miss following his championship game effort. He’s taken unofficial visits to Auburn and Alabama for junior days but still hasn’t received an offer.

With Auburn, Webb is willing to be patient.

“They’re telling me that they’re going to wait and see. I’ll wait it out for a while and see how it goes,” Webb said after his Auburn visit. “It would be pretty good. They’d definitely be in my top 5.”

The clear knock on Webb: his height.Auburn recruiting-Shaun Shivers

He’s listed at 5-foot-9 and 190 pounds, but even Webb would be willing to admit that his height and weight are overstated. Recently, Webb posted a photo on Twitter next to Alabama head coach Nick Saban (not the tallest guy in the business). Saban looked noticeably taller than Webb, which probably puts Webb’s measurables — his height, at least — closer to the 5-5 stature of Auburn commit Shaun Shivers.

Shivers’ commitment already raised size questions at the running back position for 2018. It might be hard-pressed to bring two undersized backs in with the same class.

But right now, Auburn is sending Webb a positive message.

“I like their playing style. I think I’d be a great fit with them. They said I’m perfect with the offense they run, especially with the new offensive coordinator, Chip (Lindsey),” Webb said. “I’d give them more options to get the ball in open space.”

3 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

If Butterbean gets a AU offer that would mean AU missed on several other kids. 

Agreed..... I do like Webb but it would mean we missed on our higher targets

On March 13, 2017 at 7:48 AM, ellitor said:

On March 13, 2017 at 7:48 AM, ellitor said:

Webb measured 5'8 shoes off at the Elite Ga Showcase with the Zybek laser measurement thing. Zybek test for the NFL combine and other major combines. Webb will be at the Opening Regional in Atlanta on March 26. They are pretty accurate with their testing. I will see what they measure him at.

• 2 weeks later...

Results of The Opening Regional in Atlanta are now posted on The Opening website. Really surprised at some of the forty times (electrionally timed) of RB's we have talked about in this thread. 

3 minutes ago, Datank45 said:

Results of The Opening Regional in Atlanta are now posted on The Opening website. Really surprised at some of the forty times (electrionally timed) of RB's we have talked about in this thread. 

So what are some of the times?

3 hours ago, Datank45 said:

Really surprised at some of the forty times (electrionally timed) of RB's we have talked about in this thread. 

Slow surface.

4 hours ago, corchjay said:

Joiner 4.78

Provens 4.73

The fastest running back listed is at 4.61.  A DB from Ga, Elija Godwin, ran a 4.48 the fastest recorded time.

These times seem more realistic than all the ridiculous 4.4 and 4.3 times we see posted so frequently.

14 minutes ago, Mikey said:

These times seem more realistic than all the ridiculous 4.4 and 4.3 times we see posted so frequently.

Especially from the AU yearly speed day. I'm just waiting for the day somebody pops a 3.9 at that event.

We use the time delayed Lazer time it allows the player two steps before it starts the clock LOL:-\

18 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

We use the time delayed Lazer time it allows the player two steps before it starts the clock LOL:-\

We are not alone in using this practice. I wish I had a dollar for every "4.4" prospect that actually runs a 4.8. We could all party at PC Beach like it was 1980!

4 minutes ago, Mikey said:

We are not alone in using this practice. I wish I had a dollar for every "4.4" prospect that actually runs a 4.8. We could all party at PC Beach like it was 1980!

You are correct it has been going on since they started timing the forty. When I started Auburn in 1969 I can't begin to tell you how many guys I talked to on campus who played football with guys in HS who ran 4.4 forties.  I have coached or played Rugby for years and we hand time guys I know it is not as accurate but who has the money for a laser timer.  Our rule of thumb was add .1 if you hand time.  Any player running under 5 even hand timing was fast and honest 4.4 is elite speed even among fast players. Also over the years I coached a few guys who were not that fast when we timed them but who consistently caught people on the field who had faster times. Running a 40 for time is so much about proper form at the start staying low for the correct amount of time it is not the same way we run when we are playing a sport. 

That is one of the reason people talk about player having a high football IQ.  The linebacker who just seems to instinctively read the play and takes first step before anybody else reacts. Because he reacts first he gets there first even before people who are faster, the running back who sees the fields and sets up his blocker as opposed to going to the planned hole at full speed even when the block isn't there.

There is a huge difference between timed speed and football speed. Also how quickly a player can recover and how many times he can hit top speed before he starts slowing down.  

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

You are correct it has been going on since they started timing the forty. When I started Auburn in 1969 I can't begin to tell you how many guys I talked to on campus who played football with guys in HS who ran 4.4 forties.  I have coached or played Rugby for years and we hand time guys I know it is not as accurate but who has the money for a laser timer.  Our rule of thumb was add .1 if you hand time.  Any player running under 5 even hand timing was fast and honest 4.4 is elite speed even among fast players. Also over the years I coached a few guys who were not that fast when we timed them but who consistently caught people on the field who had faster times. Running a 40 for time is so much about proper form at the start staying low for the correct amount of time it is not the same way we run when we are playing a sport. 

That is one of the reason people talk about player having a high football IQ.  The linebacker who just seems to instinctively read the play and takes first step before anybody else reacts. Because he reacts first he gets there first even before people who are faster, the running back who sees the fields and sets up his blocker as opposed to going to the planned hole at full speed even when the block isn't there.

There is a huge difference between timed speed and football speed. Also how quickly a player can recover and how many times he can hit top speed before he starts slowing down.  

True I tell people all the time a kid can have good speed ,but not be a track guy. Jerry Rice is a good example imo not a fast timed 40. Yet  he was still able to pull away from defenders a majority of the time.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/19/2017 at 4:40 PM, Datank45 said:

Need to check Webb's Twitter page. Kid has some hops!! 

Any news on Webb? Who's recruiting him the hardest if you know? How's he looking for the upcoming season?

On June 15, 2017 at 4:04 AM, AU80cruiser said:

Any news on Webb? Who's recruiting him the hardest if you know? How's he looking for the upcoming season?

I think Ole Miss, Miss St and Mizzou seems to be the schools that are going after him the hardest. No new P5 offers. His weight is now in the 192-195 range looks good. He is quicker speed may still be the same maybe a tad faster.

Archived