2018 3* RB La'Damian "Butterbean" Webb

AU80cruiser

Update 7/18/17: Committed to Mississippi St.

This kid tore it up last season in 5A (same classification as St. Paul's and Vigor) From what I can tell Beauregard runs an extremely similar offense to Malzahn and this kid runs through traffic quite well. He is a little on the small side but he is also just a sophomore in high school and averages almost 10 yards a carry. From what the coaches told me that is the second highest in school history.

http://www.hudl.com/...8/ladamian-webb

How he became known as "Butterbean"

http://www.oanow.com...7501d391c0.html

During an early summer practice at Beauregard High, senior quarterback

Quay Wright asked La’Damian Webb about the origin of the Hornets’

new running back’s nickname, “Butterbean.”

“Just watch me on the field,” Webb told Wright. “You’ll see.”

It didn’t take long for Wright to figure out what Webb meant.

When carrying the ball later that day, Webb burst through holes at the line and constantly slipped out of the grasps of defenders as if he were covered in, ahem, butter.

Butterbean is what the spectators who caught glimpses of Webb’s potential called him when he started on the freshman team and was a varsity backup at Opelika. More eyes than ever before were on Webb this season after he transferred to Beauregard and was named a varsity starter as only a sophomore. The crowd was new, the setting was new and the team was new, but Webb was still Butterbean.

Webb, with a knack for shaking off defenders coupled with breakaway speed, enjoyed one of the most impressive offensive seasons in the area.

He ran for 1,775 yards and 27 touchdowns on 186 carries. He averaged nearly a first down per carry, 9.5 yards. Beauregard went 11-1 while often winning by lopsided margins, meaning Webb rarely played in the second half of games. He still topped 100 yards in nine games.

Webb’s superb season culminated Friday with being named the Opelika-Auburn News Breakthrough Player of the Year.

With breakthrough athletes, few things are ever known about them initially. Details, tendencies, character traits and skills are all learned throughout the season. Webb epitomized that.

So what did we know about Webb and what did we learn?

Well, we knew he was called Butterbean, of course. We learned why. But when was the nickname first coined?

According to Webb’s version of the story, it all started when he vomited one day when he was 4. The smell reminded Webb’s grandmother Robbie Ford of butterbeans. She then started referring to him as Butterbean.

That was the first time Webb became Butterbean.

Yes, it was apparently as outrageous as that.

With Webb, though, few things fall into the category of ordinary.

That’s what some of his teammates learned rather quickly about him.

“I saw him in the weight room early on,” Beauregard senior linebacker A.J. Tate said before a preseason practice, “and I just thought there was no way this could be a sophomore. Like, it didn’t make sense.”

At 5-foot-8 and 180 pounds, Webb would seem somewhat undersized. By looking at Webb’s incredibly muscular physique, however, any prudent individual was able to know he spent some time in the gym. Then it was learned what Webb was capable of in terms of weight lifting.

We knew he looked strong. We learned he was.

Webb can back squat 425 pounds. He can front squat 285 pounds. He can bench press 290 pounds. He can power clean 255 pounds.

“And,” Beauregard coach Rob Carter said during the season, “he doesn’t really make it look all that hard.”

Before the season, Webb, in some ways, reminded Carter of former Auburn University running back Tre Mason.

Carter knew there was a distinct possibility Webb could have a special season. Carter learned how special.

In his first game as a varsity starter, Webb ran for 247 yards and three touchdowns in the Hornets’ season-opening 68-33 win against Dadeville. For an encore, Webb ran for 376 yards with four touchdowns on 23 carries to lead Beauregard to a 42-27 win against host Sylacauga. And on the legend of Butterbean went. Webb was a significant reason why Beauregard was able to clinch its first undefeated regular season in program history.

So, what did Webb know about himself and what did he learn throughout the season?

“I knew what I was capable of, but I also knew I needed to show the team,” Webb said. “I learned I could do some things as a 10th-grader some people can’t do.”

Like what?

Just see me on the field,” Webb said.

And learn why they still call him Butterbean.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

let's not forget that Beauregard is in our own back yard. There is a really good chance that he is an AU fan already. That can't hurt.

reminds me of Dyer

I can see that for sure.

I saw he visited UAB at some point or plans to visit.

Other info I found on a google search is his Dad allegedly was killed this year by one of the guys from the show "Bamazon" where a film crew followed out of work construction workers from alabama looking for gold in South America.

Being in our backyard doesn't mean he's an Auburn fan. There's a lot of bammers who go to BHS. Hell....look at AHS of late.

Being in our backyard doesn't mean he's an Auburn fan. There's a lot of bammers who go to BHS. Hell....look at AHS of late.

All being in our backyard has meant, lately, is that bama wants him that much more and will stoop to whatever it takes to either get him or direct him elsewhere. If a kid is from Auburn or Opelika, and Auburn wants him, we have to hope that he really loves Auburn and that he can't be bought. Unlike outside players who we can sell on the feeling you get on campus, kids from the area have gotten used to it, so it's nothing special to them. They won't realize how much the miss it until they are gone.

All being in our backyard has meant, lately, is that bama wants him that much more and will stoop to whatever it takes to either get him or direct him elsewhere. If a kid is from Auburn or Opelika, and Auburn wants him, we have to hope that he really loves Auburn and that he can't be bought. Unlike outside players who we can sell on the feeling you get on campus, kids from the area have gotten used to it, so it's nothing special to them. They won't realize how much the miss it until they are gone.

They might also be totally okay with family being an hour or two away instead of 15 minutes.

More than likely, he is a fan of whatever P5 university that recruits him or any school for that matter. I don't see alabama going after him as he doesn't seem to fit their mold.

Potential for the AU player nickname hall of fame - right up there with Lionel "Little Train" James, Teapot Brown (oh wait, that's actually his name) and Walter "Barbeque" Tate (famous for sniffing out Bobby Bowden's "Dumrooskie").

Potential for the AU player nickname hall of fame - right up there with Lionel "Little Train" James, Teapot Brown (oh wait, that's actually his name) and Walter "Barbeque" Tate (famous for sniffing out Bobby Bowden's "Dumrooskie").

Don't forget Cadillac and Little Ball of Hate...

• 4 months later...

For those who have not had the chance to watch this kid play, he has a chance to be really special. From what I've seen this season he is a much more complete player this season compared to last. He has developed some nice hands out of the backfield and is and excellent blocker in pass protection and QB runs or jet sweeps by receivers. He is willing to hit guys twice his side when blocking. He has also accounted for more than 10 touchdowns in just four games so far this season. He is definitely a player to watch moving forward.

4 hours ago, DanielD6 said:

For those who have not had the chance to watch this kid play, he has a chance to be really special. From what I've seen this season he is a much more complete player this season compared to last. He has developed some nice hands out of the backfield and is and excellent blocker in pass protection and QB runs or jet sweeps by receivers. He is willing to hit guys twice his side when blocking. He has also accounted for more than 10 touchdowns in just four games so far this season. He is definitely a player to watch moving forward.

Good post, and welcome to the site.

19 hours ago, DanielD6 said:

Yes, I listen to him play every Friday night. He has 2 kickoff returns for a TD in the last two games as well. I noticed his highlights were private when I looked last week....a little disappointed in that.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, DanielD6 said:

For those interested in seeing some video highlights here is Webb's mid season highlights for this season. 

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/2840098/57d48b03ed57ee0ae8606838

Reminds me of Tre Smith. Not a ton of speed but excellent balance and vision.

2 hours ago, DanielD6 said:

For those interested in seeing some video highlights here is Webb's mid season highlights for this season. 

Dang, the block at 2:22. I want this angry young fella on our roster yesterday, please.

Physically, he reminds me of Dyer. 

7 hours ago, DanielD6 said:

Thanks for posting. His highlights were private for awhile, glad they are back open. Are you just a fan or do you know him personally? I saw he visited Troy and looks like maybe UAB last year. 

14 minutes ago, AU80cruiser said:

Thanks for posting. His highlights were private for awhile, glad they are back open. Are you just a fan or do you know him personally? I saw he visited Troy and looks like maybe UAB last year. 

He did visit both Troy and UAB and I know got an offer from one of them. I actually graduated from Beauregard High in 2014 and am now a junior in Mechanical Engineering at Auburn. I do not personally know Ladamian because he did not move to Beauregard until last year (he was at Opelika before that) and I had already graduated at that point. However I have been to several Beauregard games since I graduated and had the chance to watch him in person.

He is truly something special to see in person. The video footage doesn't fully do some of those runs justice where he just runs through would be tacklers. And as far as I am aware of he has not had any off field issues either. A little fact for anyone who did not know: his cousin (who graduated from Beauregard as well) is Ladarius Webb who is a long time cornerback with the Ravens.

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Dang, the block at 2:22. I want this angry young fella on our roster yesterday, please.

Physically, he reminds me of Dyer. 

Saw that as well looks like he has a little mean streak in him

10 hours ago, DanielD6 said:

He did visit both Troy and UAB and I know got an offer from one of them. I actually graduated from Beauregard High in 2014 and am now a junior in Mechanical Engineering at Auburn. I do not personally know Ladamian because he did not move to Beauregard until last year (he was at Opelika before that) and I had already graduated at that point. However I have been to several Beauregard games since I graduated and had the chance to watch him in person.

He is truly something special to see in person. The video footage doesn't fully do some of those runs justice where he just runs through would be tacklers. And as far as I am aware of he has not had any off field issues either. A little fact for anyone who did not know: his cousin (who graduated from Beauregard as well) is Ladarius Webb who is a long time cornerback with the Ravens.

I ran into Coach Hughes last fall and we had a talk about how good Webb is but it never came up that Ladarius is his cousin. Good to get confirmation on that.

Benjamin Russell will be a Thursday night home game and I will certainly be there to finally see this guy play in person instead of listening to games at my work Friday nights.

10 hours ago, AU80cruiser said:

I ran into Coach Hughes last fall and we had a talk about how good Webb is but it never came up that Ladarius is his cousin. Good to get confirmation on that.

Benjamin Russell will be a Thursday night home game and I will certainly be there to finally see this guy play in person instead of listening to games at my work Friday nights.

A home game for Benjamin Russell or for Beauregard ? and what is the date of this game ?

Archived