2018 3* RB La'Damian "Butterbean" Webb

AU80cruiser

1 hour ago, Zinzan said:

Not sure I would agree that he had a subpar Webb performance (don't think he's ever had 350+ yards per game before), but I get what you're saying. He only had a few 25+ yard runs, with 40 yards being his longest, but he had a ton of yards after contact. Wenonah does have a good defense, and they never quit, but they had a hard time bringing him down (as does everybody). They did tire at the end, though.

BTW, I agree that his balance is impressive, and I love that his legs stop churning. He's quick but not super fast. And he's got a handful of escape techniques to avoid tackles (the Kamryn Pettway quick side-step, the spin, etc), with a knack at picking the right one most of the time.

Great night for the Hornets. Winning their first state championship so close to home was awesome. Truly a multi-generational moment for this small community outside of Opelika.

BHS Class of '84

I didnt know he had that many yards. I didnt see or hear any numbers while at the game but after watching the replay today i realized he was over 200 early in the game. I definitely meant subpar only for Webb...super human for anyone else.

This was huge for the community and i couldnt be prouder of the whole team. The McDonald kid on defense made some big plays for us and i dont recall hearing his name called on the radio that much or even at all.

BHS class of 98

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/2/2016 at 0:01 PM, Zinzan said:

Not sure I would agree that he had a subpar Webb performance (don't think he's ever had 350+ yards per game before), but I get what you're saying. He only had a few 25+ yard runs, with 40 yards being his longest, but he had a ton of yards after contact. Wenonah does have a good defense, and they never quit, but they had a hard time bringing him down (as does everybody). They did tire at the end, though.

BTW, I agree that his balance is impressive, and I love that his legs stop churning. He's quick but not super fast. And he's got a handful of escape techniques to avoid tackles (the Kamryn Pettway quick side-step, the spin, etc), with a knack at picking the right one most of the time.

Great night for the Hornets. Winning their first state championship so close to home was awesome. Truly a multi-generational moment for this small community outside of Opelika.

BHS Class of '84

Webb had 376 yards rushing against Sylacauga as a soph. Webb also picked up his first Power 5 offer from Indiana. 

• 2 weeks later...

I saw Butterbean play twice in person. I know he is only 5/7 or so and 180lbs, but he is a tremendous running back. I hope the worm is this good. Butterbean has Rudi Johnson balance and has the sammy Coates throw the guy off and keep going move down pat. I would love to watch film with Coach Fountain and have him tell me what the kid is lacking. In the Jackson game he also played corner and pretty much shut the Lev-Holly kid down. He may not run a 4.4 but he never gets caught from behind and his quickness and acceleration are super. He will get bigger by the time he graduates in May of 2018. I hope he does not turn out to be a Demarcus Ware?

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Something to ponder until WDE responds.

I dont know that he will go to any camps though and I'd hate for us to miss out just because the kid doesnt go to camps. AFAIK the coaches may have seen him and wrote him off due to grades, size, speed, etc... who knows?  

45 minutes ago, AU80cruiser said:

I dont know that he will go to any camps though and I'd hate for us to miss out just because the kid doesnt go to camps. AFAIK the coaches may have seen him and wrote him off due to grades, size, speed, etc... who knows?  

I'm certainly hoping you get a response from somebody who might know. I think several of us are wondering the same thing you are. 

12 hours ago, auol72 said:

I saw Butterbean play twice in person. I know he is only 5/7 or so and 180lbs, but he is a tremendous running back. I hope the worm is this good. Butterbean has Rudi Johnson balance and has the sammy Coates throw the guy off and keep going move down pat. I would love to watch film with Coach Fountain and have him tell me what the kid is lacking. In the Jackson game he also played corner and pretty much shut the Lev-Holly kid down. He may not run a 4.4 but he never gets caught from behind and his quickness and acceleration are super. He will get bigger by the time he graduates in May of 2018. I hope he does not turn out to be a Demarcus Ware?

The kid ran a 4.43 forty at UAB's camp in the summer that's he rarely gets caught from behind. . He is a short strider reaches his top speed in a hurry working on increasing his stride for long distance top end speed will only make him a better player . Webb is 5'8 184 pounds. You are correct he has great balance and is cat quick and has outstanding vision. He is getting SEC interest. Up to two P5 offers at the moment. 

On December 29, 2016 at 1:38 PM, AU80cruiser said:

I'm sure he will attend a few camps in the future. Grades are good to go. People question his speed but he ran a 4.43 forty at UAB's camp. He's a short strider when he runs. If you checkout his pick six against Jackson #23 for Jackson their RB is a legit 4.5 forty kid. He couldn't catch Webb even had a slight angle on Webb. Working on increasing his stride length for his long distance top end speed will help him a lot.

I would think that he will rarely run out of gas with a name like butterbean.

12 hours ago, The Plainsman said:

Nor would anyone want to catch him from behind....

Be careful with anything flammable!

• 3 weeks later...

His stature and stride reminds me of Emmit Smith in HS.  Saw him once and didn't think much of him.  He committed to Auburn and then flipped to UF.  I didn't think much of it, but BOY WAS I WRONG.  Emmit avg'd about 7-8 ypc in HS, but no breakaway speed of course and played stiff HS competition.  Both -all balance and heady play.  Trust Tim Horton's opinion.

Chip Lindsey has been back on the Plains for less than three days, but a visit to Beauregard High couldn’t wait any longer — not with La’Damian Webb’s recruitment heating up.

Lindsey, who Auburn hired as its offensive coordinator Saturday, and Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn visited Beauregard High on Monday morning to meet with Hornets head football coach Rob Carter. The topic of conversation was Webb, Beauregard’s star running back who last Wednesday was named Alabama Mr. Football 2016 by the Alabama Sports Writers Association. The 5-foot-8, 180-pounder became the first junior to ever win the award in its 35-year existence.

“You could tell he’s put an impression on Gus Malzahn and Chip Lindsey,” Carter said. “‘He’s a great football player.’ Those were the exact words out of their mouth. They said they liked him, asked for his contact information, said they were going to start the recruiting process and just inquired about some of his background stuff. You know, ‘Tell me a little bit about him.’ It’s pretty exciting.”

Carter said a good chunk of the 30-minute conversation between the coaches centered around Webb’s performance in the state championship game on Dec. 1. Webb set the Super 7 record for all classifications in all three of the major rushing categories — carries (51), rushing yards (359), and rushing touchdowns (five) — as he led the Hornets to a 33-13 win over Wenonah in the 5A state title game. It was the first state championship in the 53-year history of the Beauregard football program.

“[Coach Malzahn] just said he thought it was an amazing feat to run it 51 times, to rack up the yards he did, the touchdowns he did, and to play defense, too,” Carter said. “He really laid a lot of the conversation toward that championship game and his effort and his abilities.

“Coach Lindsey definitely liked his abilities and talents from his film. They’ve watched his film, obviously. We talked about some of his athletic abilities and his durability. Physically, they like him.”

During the 2016 season, Webb set a new Alabama record for rushing touchdowns in a single season with 47, and also ran for 3,242 yards, the second-most in a single season in the history of the state.

247sports.com currently ranks Webb as the 32nd running back in the nation and 16th prospect in the state of Alabama for the Class of 2018. He has received offers from Troy, Bowling Green, Indiana and Iowa State, which he plans to unofficially visit sometime in February. Louisville and Tennessee also have reached out to Carter as Webb’s stock continues to climb.

http://www.oanow.com/sports/high_school/_football/gus-malzahn-chip-lindsey-visit-beauregard-high-about-la-damian/article_40ebb1a8-e1aa-11e6-8578-ef75b74927b5.html

Seems like a horse - Carnell carried the ball over 40 times against UGA I believe.  I know it is HS, but this kid played D also and avg'd 7+ yds.  Pretty stout.  Only going to get stronger.  Lock him up.  Visions of a back like Pettway comes to mind in about 3 yrs. 

Archived