NCAA Taking Away Softball Dugout Props

Guess old foogie that I am, I'm not sad to see them go.

Interesting to me that the ladies can get away with all sorts of behavior that would result in a bench clearing brawl in men's baseball

Interesting to me that the ladies can get away with all sorts of behavior that would result in a bench clearing brawl in men's baseball

If their props would cause baseball brawls then baseball player are ironically too sensitive. Most props are fun & silly, not disrespectful of other teams. Heccklers are worse than the props for crying out loud.

And in doing so take away part of the fun and individuality that softball teams are known for. So long Turtles. http://www.flosoftba...oftball-dugouts

Stupidest statement in there was it's a dignity & integrity issue. What about props lowers integrity or dignity?

I'm an old fart and I think its a dumb ass rule change........................good grief

Yeah but you're the cool old fart that gets along with younger generations

Softball and baseball are not the same sport and shouldn't be viewed as such.

This is simply an idiotic rule change. The girls have been doing this kind of stuff as part of softball since they were little kids.

If their props would cause baseball brawls then baseball player are ironically too sensitive. Most props are fun & silly, not disrespectful of other teams. Heccklers are worse than the props for crying out loud.

I'm not so much thinking of the props per se...but the dancing up and down the sidelines near the dugout and displays of exuberance on hits and such. I do recall how the UT gals were celebrating a bit early last year....and got payback.

A major league baseball player runs the bases too fast....or too slow or slightly flip his bat after a home run and the benches clear. They are far too sensitive I agree...but that seems to be the standard of conduct for the game.

I'm not so much thinking of the props per se...but the dancing up and down the sidelines near the dugout and displays of exuberance on hits and such. I do recall how the UT gals were celebrating a bit early last year....and got payback.

A major league baseball player runs the bases too fast....or too slow or slightly flip his bat after a home run and the benches clear. They are far too sensitive I agree...but that seems to be the standard of conduct for the game.

I agree. The props are completely harmless and this is an over reach IMO. The dancing up and down the sidelines is where the disrespect and lack of integrity comes in. Tennessee game you referenced is a prime example of it. There wasn't any dignity or integrity in what Tennessee was doing last year. It was actually extremely disrespectful. Fortunately they LOST that game and quit dancing for the season. The props are totally harmless and banning them is extremely stupid.

I actually think it makes the softball game more enjoyable. It separates itself from baseball in this way. They are having fun! Why take away 1 of the fun things that make it unique when the game already has a difficult road to be in the spotlight? The turtles were fun. It won't stop the motivation for the girls to win it for turtle but it's a shame they can't display the gesture. It also got the fans more involved. Just a stupid change. At least wait to the beginning of a new season.

Well I guess us fans will just have to bring the props and do so behind the dugout to keep the girls loose and motivated without them losing their dignity and integrity.

I agree. The props are completely harmless and this is an over reach IMO. The dancing up and down the sidelines is where the disrespect and lack of integrity comes in. Tennessee game you referenced is a prime example of it. There wasn't any dignity or integrity in what Tennessee was doing last year. It was actually extremely disrespectful. Fortunately they LOST that game and quit dancing for the season. The props are totally harmless and banning them is extremely stupid.

Understood fellas but I did not see anywhere in the 2 articles where the dancing & what not was addressed.

Understood fellas but I did not see anywhere in the 2 articles where the dancing & what not was addressed.

I agree. Just pointing out the absurdity of banning props but not addressing (what I believe the real problem is here) the excessive dancing around. Doing it in the dugout is one thing, doing it all the way down the foul line (like Tennessee did last year) is extreme. Of the two, dancing up and down the foul line is a much more egregious lack of dignity and integrity.

The cultures are very different. The girls routinely do things that would result in baseball brawls, as AU64 noted above. I can't understand banning the props if they aren't going to stop the jeering and cheering. If anything has to be done they should address the behavior first, the props are only a minor thing.

In fact, why mess with it at all? These girls are used to such carrying on, nobody gets angry over the foolishness, so what's the harm? If I want to look at baseball I'll watch a baseball game. Softball is different, so what?

I agree. Just pointing out the absurdity of banning props but not addressing (what I believe the real problem is here) the excessive dancing around. Doing it in the dugout is one thing, doing it all the way down the foul line (like Tennessee did last year) is extreme. Of the two, dancing up and down the foul line is a much more egregious lack of dignity and integrity.

Agree 100%.

Three years ago hardly anyone watched college softball and nobody saw it on TV. The game has changed drastically .....just thinking the PTB are looking for a little more dignity to make it look like a serious college sport for the players.

I will admit that it would be nice to see the players in the dugout look a bit more involved in the game rather than playing with the toys.....but that's just me. Next step is to ban the "rally caps" in men's baseball. :)

As for Harper (the one from Washington) he's not gotten far with his advocacy ...but it was worth a try. There is a middle ground somewhere.

Three years ago hardly anyone watched college softball and nobody saw it on TV.

This is not true. Softball has been picking up steam in popularity since around the time Monica Abbott pitched at UTk in the mid 2000s. Every game of the WCWS has been televised since then & all the Super regionals as well. Not many region sites were televised til we got into the streaming device era recently. It has and is still growing in audience no doubt but there has been a good audience watching for a while & tv coverage too. Now it was not watched much in AU circles because were were just meh most of the time but people outside AU have watched.

This is not true. Softball has been picking up steam in popularity since around the time Monica Abbott pitched at UTk in the mid 2000s. Every game of the WCWS has been televised since then & all the Super regionals as well. Not many region sites were televised til we got into the streaming device era recently. It has and is still growing in audience no doubt but there has been a good audience watching for a while & tv coverage too. Now it was not watched much in AU circles because were were just meh most of the time but people outside AU have watched.

While I do not doubt you at all about TV coverage for softball, I can say that I personally never ran across it anywhere prior to the SEC Network.

While I do not doubt you at all about TV coverage for softball, I can say that I personally never ran across it anywhere prior to the SEC Network.

WCWS & all the Super Regionals have been on the ESPNs for a decade. Trust me. I liked softball before AU got good & have watched.

WCWS & all the Super Regionals have been on the ESPNs for a decade. Trust me. I liked softball before AU got good & have watched.

Check the size of the TV audiences ..bet it was pretty small until the conferences started televising...and until Cint came our place seated about 500. National interest has risen ...and it could be that the dugout antics have gotten more elaborate. Interesting that a couple former players calling the games today did not seem to have a problem with the rule..

Archived