Softball Vs. Jacksonville State - game thread

Cooper grounds to 1st, throw is home. Bases still loaded with 1 out for Carlee Wallace

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great win War Eagle ladies you beat a tough pitcher today.

Auburn moves to the winners bracket and will play South Carolina upstate tomorrow at 1:30.

That was a lot more difficult than I expected. Jax kept our big hitters from being a factor.

We need to look into trying to get that Jax St pitcher to transfer here. Despite the 7th inning it was still 1 of the 2 or 3 best games pitched against us all season.

That was a lot more difficult than I expected. Jax kept our big hitters from being a factor.

Well Gillespie is 1 of the best pitchers in the nation statistically.

For the past two years, there is no player I'd rather have at the plate in a clutch situation than Carlee Wallace. Her average isn't the best and her power isn't the best but she comes through the best.

I once saw a Casey Stengel quote: "Mantle, Maris, others here are great players. When the game is tied in the 9th inning I want number 9 (Yogi Berra) coming up to bat sometime in that inning". I feel the same way about Wallace.

Yes it was. That was one one of those WHEW!! games. I'm glad to get out with the W. Give it to the JSU pitcher. She pitched one heckuva game. Walters was also very good in her relief appearance. Hopefully we bring our bats to the game tomorrow. WAR EAGLE!!

We need to look into trying to get that Jax St pitcher to transfer here. Despite the 7th inning it was still 1 of the 2 or 3 best games pitched against us all season.

She did as good, if not better, than their QB did against us. I wonder if we could work out a package deal.

Yes, I'm kidding.

Maybe we can work out a deal for Jax State to operate as a farm club...let them develop some young prospects and then bump them along to AU.

WDE! JSU is a fine team.

We may see them again on Sunday if we can get by USCU.

Interesting that some of the relatively small schools still manage to find some good pitchers .....I recall Longwood and James Madison both had pitchers who gave us difficulty. And pitching around Kasey has been a good strategy lately.

We may see them again on Sunday if we can get by USCU.

Interesting that some of the relatively small schools still manage to find some good pitchers .....I recall Longwood and James Madison both had pitchers who gave us difficulty. And pitching around Kasey has been a good strategy lately.

They do find them. My daughter held for years and now has been tied for the Alabama High School State Record for Winning Percentage. The only offer she received was from Jefferson State Community College. When she finished at Jefferson State, she had a couple of offers to continue playing. They were from D3 schools which don't offer Athletic Scholarships. You are correct, many good pitchers don't get the big school offers because there are only so many slots open every year. There are tons of very good high school pitchers who just don't get the big school offers. They end up at smaller D1, D2 or D3 schools and normally do quite well.

The nature of softball is that if you can get just one really good pitcher, lots of other things can fall in place after that. Not like baseball where a team needs several really good pitchers and a handful of pretty good pitches to handle the season.

Jax has one other pitcher with a good number of games but Gillispie is definitely the ace of their team.

We see more softball teams doing like AU with a "staff" but two years ago it was Lexi and Marcy doing all the work....and Lexi doing the majority. Now it's spread around more but one ace can take a team a long way.

Archived