Big Cat Visitor & discussion Thread (June 4th)

ellitor

Thanks for the update E. Big Cat seems to have given a lot of kids a lot to think about. It is great to see guys who didn't have Auburn that high on their list to see Auburn move up after this weekend. We won't get them all but for one weekend to have such an impact means the coaches, the program and Auburn itself are making great impressions.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

5* OT Alex Leatherwood Bama commit

Five-star offensive tackle Alex Leatherwood made a surprise visit at Big Cat Weekend, but it doesn’t appear the visit has significantly affected his recruitment.

Leatherwood says he remains solid to Alabama, which he committed to last summer. He says he talks with Alabama head coach Nick Saban, defensive coordinatorJeremy Pruitt and offensive line coach Mario Cristobal “every day.”

But Leatherwood, who was on his second visit to Auburn, also says he has a developing relationship with Herb Hand, the Tigers’ first-year offensive line coach.

“(It’s) a growing relationship,” Leatherwood said. “We just started talking. My recruitment really picked up just in these last few weeks or so.”

Leatherwood is close friends with 4-star offensive lineman Nick Brahms, who also attended Big Cat Weekend. Though Leatherwood admits the two discuss football, he says their relationship is much deeper.

“I’ve known him before all this stuff happened,” Leatherwood said. “So we also have a normal relationship outside of football.”

Leatherwood, who plans to enroll early next January, says he’s still not sure if he’ll take an official visit to Auburn this fall. He will visit Alabama officially, but Auburn’s status is still in flux.

“I’m just kind of feeling my way through it to see if I fit here or not,” Leatherwood said.

5* ATH JaCoby Stevens

Alabama and Auburn are right back in the thick of things for 5-star athlete JaCoby Stevens.

He put the two schools in his top seven, and those are the top seven schools he'll choose from when he makes a commitment sometime before his senior year. He won't narrow it down to five, or three. He'll just pick one.

Clemson, Georgia, Tennessee, LSU and Florida State are the other five, and it's not in order.

Auburn made a big impact on Stevens' recruitment this weekend, as the 6-foot-2, 200-pound recruit ranked No. 25 overall in the 247Sports composite - and as the country's No. 1 athlete - was at Big Cat on Saturday.

Stevens is from Oakland High School in Murfeesboro, Tenn.

"Originally they didn't make my top seven, but now they did," Stevens said. "They absolutely showed me why. Auburn is a great school with great coaches. You can tell they will be successful in years to come."

If Auburn lands Stevens, it will be an internal battle to see which side of the ball he plays on. He could be a receiver or a safety, or get some snaps at both positions.

"That's what they opened up with," Stevens said. "They said (co-defensive coordinator) Coach (Wesley) McGriff wants to coach you but (offensive coordinator) Coach (Rhett) Lashlee wants to throw you the ball. They have a guy right now that they can do that with. Get me touches is what Coach Lashlee is stressing and get me better is what Coach McGriff is pushing.

"It's exciting. Some sites list me as No. 1 athlete and these guys are giving me a chance to show that you guys are correct."

Stevens said the weekend was "a weekend you could put in the plus column."

He plans to return, but also says he will visit Alabama soon. It may not be this week for camp, though.

"I'm going to support my sister at a volleyball tournament so I don't think it will be anytime soon, but I will be back before I decide to commit," Stevens said.

Alabama offensive coordinator Lane Kiffin has visited Stevens' school during the spring.

"Talking to Coach (Nick) Saban and hearing from him how he thinks I can help his system and how I can help him win more championships and how he can help develop me not only as a player but also as a man off the field and in the classroom," Stevens said, when asked what got Alabama back in his top group.

"Just a lot of positives and a lot of things I can go to for playing for the Crimson Tide. I think that's what put them back into the fold for me."

He mentioned Georgia, Auburn and LSU as schools who say he could pay both ways, and that Clemson wants him as a safety.

"A lot of schools been selling me as you're the No. 1 athlete and we're going to give you an opportunity to show you why you're the No. 1 athlete," Stevens said.

4* OT Austin Troxell

Four-star offensive tackle Austin Troxell left Auburn on Saturday still split on where he wants to play college football.

The Madison Academy star, who enjoyed his "laidback" visit to the Plains during Big Cat Weekend, said he's still "50/50" between Auburn and Alabama with a personal decision date looming later this summer.

"It's getting tough," Troxell said. "If you had asked me two years ago, I wouldn't have even considered Auburn. The work they put in to me opened my eyes to see I have other options. It's going to be tough."

The 6-foot-7, 275-pound tackle said he plans on making a commitment sometime this summer, before the start of his senior season at Madison Academy. After leaving Auburn on Saturday afternoon, Troxell will visit Alabama on Sunday. He plans to make a return trip to the Plains — a place that he said has a "family feel" that keeps him coming back — before coming to a final decision between the two rival programs. Those are the only two schools he has planned visits with this summer.

"It's day-to-day; I don't know," Troxell said of his decision-making process. "I'll switch back and forth (between Auburn and Alabama). Honestly, I don't even know."

Troxell is ranked as the top player in the state of Alabama in the 2017 recruiting class by the 247Sports composite rankings, which also has him listed as the 77th-best player in the nation.

Auburn running backs coach Tim Horton has been Troxell's lead recruiter, as the two have had a relationship since Troxell's freshman year with the Mustangs. He's hardly the only one working to get Troxell to Auburn, however.

Troxell has continued to build his relationship with Auburn's new offensive line coach, Herb Hand, and former Madison Academy teammate Kerryon Johnson is also constantly in contact with Troxell about his thought process. Five-star Auburn offensive line commit Calvin Ashley and four-star Auburn commit Alaric Williams have also been working on swaying Troxell's decision.

"They're relentless," Troxell said. "I got Coach Horton, Coach Hand and then I got them two coming at me, so it's getting rough.... It's definitely a blessing to be wanted like this."

Troxell's own family, which has both Auburn and Alabama fans, is also torn on where they want Troxell to go. Ultimately, though, he knows the decision will be his to make.

"It's the best fit for me, not necessarily my family," Troxell said. "Some people in my family might want me to go here, some might want me to go there. Most importantly, it's about me. I know it's selfish, but it's got to be a selfish decision. You can't let anyone make that decision for you."

4* LB Will Ignont

Buckhorn four-star linebacker Will Ignont remained mum on his silent commitment, but said publicly that Auburn, Alabama and Georgia are his top three schools.

Auburn may have made a jump after his trip Saturday for Big Cat Weekend.

"Today really solidified Auburn's spot in my top three," Ignont said. "They're definitely going to be there in the end and definitely going to have a hat on the table if I wait till National Signing Day, which I don't think I will.

The 6-foot-2, 238-pound Ignont, ranked No. 138 nationally in the 247Sports composite, later added this about his favorites: "Auburn is tied neck and neck at No. 1. Auburn, Georgia, Alabama, they're really at the top for me but Auburn is sticking out. Not only being Big Cat, but being around the coaches and their families and not everything being about football."

Ignont said his relationship with the Auburn coaches is genuine and not a "cut and paste" relationship, noting that certain coaches will send the same direct messages on Twitter or in texts to different recruits.

He also said that he looks at linebackers coach Travis Williams as a father figure.

"Anything I need, whether it's football-related or not, they're always there for me," Ignont said. "If I came here and god forbid, I got hurt, I'd be happy being at a school like Auburn.

"I don't have to make an appointment to call Coach (Gus) Malzahn or Coach T-Will. Anytime I want to talk, they want to talk. I feel like it's a good family. Everything's just genuine and I feel the love. Especially not having a father in my life, guys like Coach T-Will being that father figure and playing that role, it's been huge in my process."

Ignont said he gave a silent commitment to a school months ago, noting that some recruits know where they want to go, but want the attention.

"If I want to take an official visit to USC or UCLA, (the school he silently committed to) know I'm just taking a visit and they know where my heart is," Ignont said.

Ignont said he has a strong relationship with Georgia head coach Kirby Smart, defensive coordinator Mel Tucker and linebackers coach Glenn Schumann.

He plans on getting over to Alabama this week for camp.

"I want to visit sometime next week through their camp and try and get in a day of work in with Coach (Jeremy) Pruitt," he said. "That's going to be big for me, seeing how their coaches are hands on."

Ignont said he wants to make his decision public next month, but nothing is set in stone.

"If it was easy, I'd have been public with it," Ignont said. "It is a tough decision. It's more than just a four-year decision. It's a lifetime decision."

Ignont said he wants to officially visit Auburn for the Clemson game in the season opener, visit UCLA officially and possibly take an official visit to Georgia.

4* DE/DT MJ Webb

Georgia defensive end prospect is looking to get away from home as he picks his college and his recruitment picks up. Despite his intention to enroll early and intense interest from several SEC schools, he still plans to take it all in and make the best decision.

Four-star defensive end MJ Webb participated in Big Cat Weekend at Auburn on Saturday and has a lot on his mind when it comes to his recruiting. He enjoyed his time at Auburn and told SEC Country’s Jeff Sentell that Auburn is among his favorite schools, and among the schools going after him the hardest.

“(I am looking for) just a place where I can call home if I wasn’t playing football,” Webb said. “If football was not a factor in my decision, can I see myself coming to the school? I could see myself coming to Auburn if it wasn’t a factor. But I want to go to the other places and see how I fit in there.”

Webb said Auburn was hitting the right notes when it came to non-football recruiting. He likes that Auburn is still relatively close to his home in Madison, Ga., but not too close — that proximity turned him off to nearby Georgia and could be a deterrent in considering Georgia Tech, even if the school is coming after him hard.

After his time on campus this week, there is definitely a lot of positive feelings about Auburn, its camps and its program. When Sentell asked Webb if Auburn was the favorite, he said “I guess you could say that.” But he followed it up by saying, “I just have to wait it out and see how it goes.”

Webb still plans to take his time with his recruitment and give all the schools their chance. He has had long conversations with Tennessee and South Carolina, too. Webb said he had just come from Knoxville before Big Cat Weekend and planned another trip to Tennessee later on this month. He also said he would visit South Carolina next week and spoke highly of his relationship with coach Will Muschamp.

His family will play a big role in his decision.

“I still got a ways to go,” Webb said. “I want to get my grandmother out to the other places so she can see the schools and everything. It was her first visit with me. We are going to South Carolina on Monday and she is going to come with me then. I want her to get a feel for the places also that I go visit.”

Webb said he plans to enroll early but most likely will not make a decision on his college choice until after his senior season.

Did not make it to BCW & removed from OP.

4* RB Devan Barrett

4* WR Henry Rugs III

4* DE Markaviest Bryant

3* DT Tyrone Truesdell

3* Juco DT Travonte Valentine

Juco OT D'Marcus Hayes

Hayes will be in AU next weekend. No word on the rest.

Finals star tally for those who like numbers

5*-3

4*-19

3*-4

Not rated yet-1

Ok. I'm done.

A lot of these comments are the same thing we hear every year... and that's a very good thing IMO. It seems that Auburn has- or at least can sell- a consistent, strong culture with a very particular appeal under Gus. These are the same comments we heard when CEJ/Cheese/Melvin Smith were here, when CWM and TRob were here, when CDC was here... really, it does go back to Chizik and Troop and those guys. I think Gus is just doing a much better job of signing character guys and managing discipline once they're here.

Anyway, we need to improve on the football field big time, but I like that Auburn has chosen this identity and is consistent with it.

Even though BCW always provides a jolt in our recruiting, it was especially needed this year. Nice to see our recruiting starting to pick up!

Some photos (free via AUC) ...

4* OT Austin Troxell

4607808.JPG

4* DB Malcolm Askew

4607809.jpg

4* DT Aubrey Soloman

4607803.JPG

4* OL Nick Brahms

4607812.JPG

3* LB Monty Rice

4607825.JPG

4* CB Brad Stewart

4607817.JPG

4* DE Ryan Johnson

4607806.JPG

5* ATH JaCoby Stevens

4607807.jpg

4* LB Tadarian Moultry

4607820.JPG

3* RB Octavius Matthews

4607032.jpg

5* OT Calvin Ashley

4607816.jpg

5* OT Alex Leatherwood

4607815.JPG

4* S Grant Deplit

4607821.JPG

4* LB Will Ignont

4607824.JPG

4* WR Jeremiah Holloman

4607802.JPG

3* TE Tre' McKitty

4607798.JPG

4* DE Isaiah Bugg

4607799.JPG

2019 QB Bo Nix

4607827.JPG

Good to see Patrick Nix! I will always appreciate what he did against Bama and Florida.

Nix looks incredible to be a freshman. Quick feet, field awareness, and very solid arm strength. What's funny to me is his release reminds me of Jason Cambells not of his dad's release.

Nix looks incredible to be a freshman. Quick feet, field awareness, and very solid arm strength. What's funny to me is his release reminds me of Jason Cambells not of his dad's release.

Passing percentage reminds me of Gargis.

Passing percentage reminds me of Gargis.

:-\

He looks good for a freshman. Solid arm can run and buy time in pocket footwork needs improvement I saw a few completed passes thrown off the back foot when he had room to do it right way. Saw write up on completion % not great but considering just a freshman not that bad. Highlight films don't show you what kid needs to work on but I will bet his Dad sees it and will work with him. I expect to see better % next year and each year there after.

Archived