2017 5* RB Cam Akers (FSU 12/27/16)

aucanucktiger

13 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

A lot of these kids have almost no money growing up. It is hard to turn money down, when you have never had much. Well frankly, it is kind of hard to turn money down if you are young. Doc has all he needs, so he would of course turn it down.

No doubt. I also get the impression that it's often *not* the kids who are the ones holding their hands out. 

And I still bristle at the notion that Cecil Newton was "shopping his son around". There was one person he discussed money with, and it was a shady street agent who just happened to know that a certain stud QB was visiting his alma mater. Yeah, I wonder who brought up money first? A lot of shady people greasing the wheels out there, I imagine. 

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

No doubt. I also get the impression that it's often *not* the kids who are the ones holding their hands out. 

Exactly! When a prospect shows up with "handlers", and that includes uncles, cousins and so forth that are calling the shots, it's best to look elsewhere for a player. AU has pursued several that had an entourage that included these types and I can't think if a single instance when it worked out well.

I just saw that Pat Forde has written an article for Yahoo today saying the investigation into Ole Miss has expanded. He mentions that the NCAA has visited both AU and MS ST to talk with players. Thought I would mention this here because of Cam Akers.

On August 25, 2016 at 9:25 AM, JFDTiger80 said:

I just saw that Pat Forde has written an article for Yahoo today saying the investigation into Ole Miss has expanded. He mentions that the NCAA has visited both AU and MS ST to talk with players. Thought I would mention this here because of Cam Akers.

It is Auburn players that were recruited by Ole Miss. They are granted immunity if they talk.

17 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

It is Auburn players that were recruited by Ole Miss. They are granted immunity if they talk.

I saw that but it does not give me the warm and fuzzys.....but can't hold it against a guy because he was recruited by a scuzzball somewhere as long as he cut the contacts and did not encourage anything.   

The NCAA is not looking at us. Their just talking to players at Auburn and Miss. State who was recruited by Ole Miss since Hugh has been at OM.

6 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

The NCAA is not looking at us. Their just talking to players at Auburn and Miss. State who was recruited by Ole Miss since Hugh has been at OM.

yep

• 1 month later...

Any chance we get back on this train? 

Seems like we need to get some running back recruits on campus to prepare for the future

10 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

Any chance we get back on this train? 

Seems like we need to get some running back recruits on campus to prepare for the future

We are recruiting him but have dropped on his list. Not sure we need more RBs on campus unless they are elite given there are ,3 committed in this class now.

58 minutes ago, ellitor said:

We are recruiting him but have dropped on his list. Not sure we need more RBs on campus unless they are elite given there are ,3 committed in this class now.

Yeah that's what I meant. Elite.

Also considering we may not get Alaric..

After seeing Malik go down, and its still early, I would like to see us go after someone Elite. 

35 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

Yeah that's what I meant. Elite.

Also considering we may not get Alaric..

After seeing Malik go down, and its still early, I would like to see us go after someone Elite. 

From my understanding of things if we want Alaric we will keep him.

16 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

From my understanding of things if we want Alaric we will keep him.

Correct

On Sunday, October 02, 2016 at 10:04 AM, ellitor said:

Akers is elite. Akers is best player regardless of position in this recruiting class. We are on him and trying to get him for an official but like you have said looks like we are dropping on his list. In my opinion Akers is a rb prospect that only comes around once every 5 years or so.

1 hour ago, austudnt23 said:

Akers is elite. Akers is best player regardless of position in this recruiting class. We are on him and trying to get him for an official but like you have said looks like we are dropping on his list. In my opinion Akers is a rb prospect that only comes around once every 5 years or so.

23:  Any idea why he has shown so little interest in us?

1 hour ago, tinman said:

Not really atm. He did show interest in us alot actually it has slowed down though. He missed 2 unofficial visits he was supposed to make and it seems like we have been trying to make up ground since then. I think he ends up at Ole Miss no matter how many different supposed leaders he will have until signing day.

8 hours ago, tinman said:

It's hard to get 4 RBs committed in the same class. I have never seen it happen in the 85 scholarship limit era.

Akers is going to Ole Miss. As 23 said, I don't care who the "leader" de jour is. I don't care if it's Urban Meyer and tOSU. I don't care if it's Nick Saban and Bama. In February, it's going to take a minor miracle for anyone other than Ole Miss to land Akers' signature. Seems like that staff view RB as the one hole they haven't been able to fill, and they think Akers is a "program changer" as Freeze likes to call them. He has said the same thing about Tunsil, Treadwell, Nkemdiche, Benito Jones, and Patterson. It's not a title I hear folks in Jackson toss around often, but that's the view of Akers. He's going to land in Oxford.

1 hour ago, mcgufcm said:

Akers is going to Ole Miss. As 23 said, I don't care who the "leader" de jour is. I don't care if it's Urban Meyer and tOSU. I don't care if it's Nick Saban and Bama. In February, it's going to take a minor miracle for anyone other than Ole Miss to land Akers' signature. Seems like that staff view RB as the one hole they haven't been able to fill, and they think Akers is a "program changer" as Freeze likes to call them. He has said the same thing about Tunsil, Treadwell, Nkemdiche, Benito Jones, and Patterson. It's not a title I hear folks in Jackson toss around often, but that's the view of Akers. He's going to land in Oxford.

23 and others, Do you believe he goes to Ole Miss even if they receive pretty harsh NCAA sanctions?

Gonna be hard to pull an elite RB when he looks at our depth chart and sees 4 guys all freshman or sophomores. Considering Gus' preference for giving spots to guys for seniority, IDK if the scenario presents itself as an attractive one for me, if I'm a stud RB. (which I'm not)

20 hours ago, tinman said:

Doesn't want to be know as, "the other Cam who won the Heisman Trophy" at Auburn.

On 10/4/2016 at 7:58 PM, ellitor said:

It's hard to get 4 RBs committed in the same class. I have never seen it happen in the 85 scholarship limit era.

It happened in UAT's 2013 recruiting class. They signed Derrick Henry, Altee Tenpenny, Alvin Kamara, and Tyren Jones. The point is that it doesn't work. Alabama ended up keeping only 1 of the 4. 

I'm personally not impressed with Matthews. I have been impressed with what I have seen from our young running backs so far this year. As a result, I don't think we need to sign a JUCO RB. Barrett & Alaric should be the only 2 that we sign, unless Alaric is not going to qualify or we can land Cam Akers.

22 hours ago, Tiger said:

Gonna be hard to pull an elite RB when he looks at our depth chart and sees 4 guys all freshman or sophomores. Considering Gus' preference for giving spots to guys for seniority, IDK if the scenario presents itself as an attractive one for me, if I'm a stud RB. (which I'm not)

Running Backs at Cam Akers level are not afraid of competition. Some athletes are just better than most others and he is one of them.

We have not had a 5 star High School RB commit since Michael Dyer in the 2010 class. I just do not get why these elite RB and DT QB recruits would not want to come to Auburn to play for gus after they see what has done with every RB and how great Cam and Marshall were with Gus.

Archived