2017 5* RB Cam Akers (FSU 12/27/16)

aucanucktiger

12 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I do not mean to knock the kid (of course everyone says that before they criticize a person lol) but if Gus can get Peyton Barber to 1k yards he truly can get ANYONE there. 

You make it sound like he was a horrible back. This is severely wrong in my opinion. He was a talented kid. He just unfortunately missed the correct hole quite a bit.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, ellitor said:

You make it sound like he was a horrible back. This is severely wrong in my opinion. He was a talented kid. He just unfortunately missed the correct hole quite a bit.

I'm curious if he didn't get the benefit of a fully focused position coach last year, what with all the attitude issues and inexperience in the group (and beyond).

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I'm curious if he didn't get the benefit of a fully focused position coach last year, what with all the attitude issues and inexperience in the group (and beyond).

Well it is well-documented he had dyslexia. I don't know if that affected him enough where he interpreted things on plays in the Playbook  and how he saw them for him to make the choices he did on the field as far as holes to go to.

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

He is not un talented in the least. Sorry you got that out of what I said. If you get 1k and score a NFL td you are not a horrible back obviously. Having said that he is easily the least talented starter Gus has had at Auburn. I do not think that is a unfair thing to say. He has no wiggle to him and most of the time only got what was blocked for him.

Peyton Barber hit the LOS like he was going 0 to 60 in a vette. He didn't even check if there were better holes. He was just full steam ahead.

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

He is not un talented in the least. Sorry you got that out of what I said. If you get 1k and score a NFL td you are not a horrible back obviously. Having said that he is easily the least talented starter Gus has had at Auburn. I do not think that is a unfair thing to say. He has no wiggle to him and most of the time only got what was blocked for him.

To put a talent label on someone who has to overcome a challenge like dyslexia is unfair in my opinion. His biggest flaw was going to the wrong hole often times. If he doesn't do that I think he could have been as productive as Bubba, who is the starter at the moment,  if he went to the right holes.

39 minutes ago, ellitor said:

To put a talent label on someone who has to overcome a challenge like dyslexia is unfair in my opinion. His biggest flaw was going to the wrong hole often times. If he doesn't do that I think he could have been as productive as Bubba, who is the starter at the moment,  if he went to the right holes.

Calling someone the least talented Auburn starting RB under Gus is like saying some woman is the least attractive super model. They still are hot as heck and PB is still a really good RB! Come on now I obviously did not mean this as a knock on PB just a observation and how ridiculous our RB talent have been under Gus.

5 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I think this is more accurate than your previous post. I agree he lacked the level of talent of our previous backs but to say him reaching 1000 yards means anyone could do it is a disservice to him.

Just now, lionheartkc said:

How can a back like Akers see what happened last Saturday and not at least think about giving Auburn a shot?

isn't he a ole miss legacy?

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

isn't he a ole miss legacy?

I know he's connected to Ole Miss, but seriously... when have they EVER had a rushing offense?

3 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I know he's connected to Ole Miss, but seriously... when have they EVER had a rushing offense?

the answer would be NEVER under freeze and the last quality rb I remember them having was DEUCE. way back when tubs was at ole miss then when tubs came to AU.

10 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

the answer would be NEVER under freeze and the last quality rb I remember them having was DEUCE. way back when tubs was at ole miss then when tubs came to AU.

And there's your sales pitch. "We've never had a guy like you", "you'll be rewriting the history books", "we'll build our entire offense around you", no competition for first chair, etc. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

And there's your sales pitch. "We've never had a guy like you", "you'll be rewriting the history books", "we'll build our entire offense around you", no competition for first chair, etc. 

lol touche and exactly! freeze is building himself quite a offense with shea patterson presumably this stud and the wrs they already have. That defense though will continue to be their problem. He has not signed the elite defensive players like he was doing a few years ago.

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

lol touche and exactly! freeze is building himself quite a offense with shea patterson presumably this stud and the wrs they already have. That defense though will continue to be their problem. He has not signed the elite defensive players like he was doing a few years ago.

Never a moment's rest in this league. SMH. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

Never a moment's rest in this league. SMH. 

This is why this recruiting year is so frustrating for us!!! This is the first year I am just a little worried will break our top 10 recruiting class streak. All the negative recruiting by bowl cut kirby and saban looks like to have paid off for the most part. Even if we do keep on winning like I think we can and will do (knock on wood) down the stretch it MAY be to late to get in on the elite guys we have been lagging behind in because of negative recruiting. Recruiting is a vicious cycle in this conference. You cannot have ONE "down" year when Bama is getting the top class every year and all our other rivals are the in state school and will recruit great regardless. Its a weird cycle where our success THIS YEAR bodes well for us more next year on the trail. Then it becomes well we have to sustain the success and put a lot of wins together next year to keep the momentum going.

Defense is certainly a bigger deal, but guys like Benito Jones are HUGE talents on the defensive side of the ball. Their secondary is taking a beating this year, but they are crazy young. That usually turns itself around with time/seasoning.

7 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

This is why this recruiting year is so frustrating for us!!! This is the first year I am just a little worried will break our top 10 recruiting class streak. All the negative recruiting by bowl cut kirby and saban looks like to have paid off for the most part. Even if we do keep on winning like I think we can and will do (knock on wood) down the stretch it MAY be to late to get in on the elite guys we have been lagging behind in because of negative recruiting. Recruiting is a vicious cycle in this conference. You cannot have ONE "down" year when Bama is getting the top class every year and all our other rivals are the in state school and will recruit great regardless. Its a weird cycle where our success THIS YEAR bodes well for us more next year on the trail. Then it becomes well we have to sustain the success and put a lot of wins together next year to keep the momentum going.

Given that this looked like a team coming apart at the seams until 9/24, that seems logical.

22 hours ago, McLoofus said:

vs our pitch "We have the best running back coach in the NCAA who will take your game to the next level.  You are guaranteed 1000+ yards every year that you start, and possibly if you don't start. We are a rushing attack, unlike Ole Miss's pass first offense. Every starting back that finished their college career under Horton has made it to the league."

I guess it's ego vs logic. 

58 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

vs our pitch "We have the best running back coach in the NCAA who will take your game to the next level.  You are guaranteed 1000+ yards every year that you start, and possibly if you don't start. We are a rushing attack, unlike Ole Miss's pass first offense. Every starting back that finished their college career under Horton has made it to the league."

I guess it's ego vs logic. 

To be fair it really seems Cam Akers does not vibe with us at all. I remember reading during the summer  that he was not that enamored during his visit to AU. You know there are just some recruits that be like that. On paper nothing makes sense for Ole Miss and everything makes sense for us. Reminds me a little of Jeremiah Holloman the WR from Georgia and Deshawn Hand a few years ago. He was at the clemson game and it was reported he looked bored. He was supposed to be back for the Arky game but the time of his arrivial kept getting pushed back and he never made it. All of what you said I totally agree with by the way.

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

To be fair it really seems Cam Akers does not vibe with us at all. I remember reading during the summer  that he was not that enamored during his visit to AU. You know there are just some recruits that be like that. On paper nothing makes sense for Ole Miss and everything makes sense for us. Reminds me a little of Jeremiah Holloman the WR from Georgia and Deshawn Hand a few years ago. He was at the clemson game and it was reported he looked bored. He was supposed to be back for the Arky game but the time of his arrivial kept getting pushed back and he never made it. All of what you said I totally agree with by the way.

I was going to respond something along the lines of "could be anything, these are real people with lives outside of football, etc" but you covered it very well here. If kids always chose schools for the most sensible football reasons, certain schools would never get quality athletes and others would never get anything less. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

I was going to respond something along the lines of "could be anything, these are real people with lives outside of football, etc" but you covered it very well here. If kids always chose schools for the most sensible football reasons, certain schools would never get quality athletes and others would never get anything less. 

lol right on McLoof!!! so many different variables that would seem silly to us that play WAY TO BIG of a part in where these elite prospects go. I mean how many times has a kid who grew up a Auburn "fan" gone elsewhere??? Ignont is just the latest. His parents are at a lot of AU games wearing our gear.

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Actually, I have no problem understanding Holloman or Hand.  Holloman is in a time were, first Auburn was a place where good receivers go to die, and now we're loaded and breaking the rotation will be tough.  As for Hand... not to say he got paid, but bama does pay well.

I get it if someone doesn't like the whole family feel of Auburn... I mean, I don't get it, but different strokes and all. What I really do not get is a top running back choosing Ole Miss over us. There are so many more places where a running back could get... well... more. Auburn, on paper, is the BEST place for a running back to land. Ole Miss isn't even in the top 20.

It's probably something to do with a girl... nothing makes us guys stupider than a girl :)

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

It's probably something to do with a girl... nothing makes us guys stupider than a girl :)

Preach! Although my wife somehow, simultaneously makes me smarter. THEY. ARE. SO. COMPLICATED.

Archived