2017 5* RB Cam Akers (FSU 12/27/16)

aucanucktiger

7 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Meh, to be completely honest, there have been so many good running backs at Auburn for so long that we're really splitting hairs to a great degree, but Kenny Irons benefited from having a viable passing offense to support him, as well. Ben Obomanu, Devin Aromashadu, Courtney Taylor, and Anthony Mix were playing catch with Brandon Cox in between Irons runs, and that obviously makes a difference with the running game. We were more successful during Irons' time here, to be sure, but that in and of itself does not make him a better running back.

Todd averaged more YPA and had a higher QBR in 2009 than Cox did in 2005. 

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Todd averaged more YPA and had a higher QBR in 2009 than Cox did in 2005. 

I didn't realize Todd had the better rating, but yeah, when the passing game returned, Tate's stats were pretty similar to Irons'. Because the defense wasn't as good that year, we didn't have nearly as good a season, but my point is that Ben stacks up pretty well to Kenny. I'll admit that I'd forgotten how good Irons was for us, but I still wouldn't put him any better than on par with Tate.

8 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

my point is that Ben stacks up pretty well to Kenny. I'll admit that I'd forgotten how good Irons was for us, but I still wouldn't put him any better than on par with Tate.

No argument here. 

These are the fun conversations to have. I always picture the dudes in the barber shop in 'Coming to America'. (Language warning)

Ben Tate was good, but give me Kenny Irons. He was like a human pinball and I preferred his style vs. Ben.  That doesn't take anything away from Tate, because he was a great back as well.  I think the argument is the difference in style. Same with Rudy Johnson vs. Cam Payne....I prefer Rudy. Bo Peep vs. Stacy Danley....give me Joseph.  

Personally, I'd put them on par with one another. Neither had a hot streak like Tre Mason, which isn't really a talent statement so much as a statement that sometimes runners get hot. Ben was really good playing on some average and below average teams. Kenny was really good playing on two really good teams.

It's silly to point at numbers and say "Ben posted similar stats with lesser talent!" Well. Yes. But he also did it in Malzahn's offense. That matters. If all we're going to do is pretend that numbers drive the conversation then, apparently, both guys were better than Ronnie Brown and possibly Cadillac as well. I mean Kenny's 2005 stats matched Cadillac's 2003 stats. Ben's exceeded them. That's all that matters, right? Obviously not.

Yes, Ben played with lesser talent, but he played in an up-tempo system that has shown, year-on-year-on-year, that it inflates numbers. No one thinks Tre Mason was more talented than Bo, but Tre is the record holder, in large part, because he played for Gus Malzahn. No one think Cameron Artis-Payne is better than Rudi or Fullwood or Cadillac, etc., but there he is with a 1600-yard season. Stats lie. Context matters.

My take on the debate at hand, Kenny had much better vision and was the more explosive player. He was a perfect fit for an offense that needed a truly dynamic element. Ben was more of a classic workhorse. Yes, Ben had fantastic straight line, 40-yard dash speed, but Kenny played the game faster and showed must better burst/acceleration. Ben was a better all-around player. He was a weapon in the passing game both as a blocker and receiver, but Kenny was the better pure runner. Injuries took his pro career, but he had a game that would've translated at least for a while. Both guys had roughly equal, but very different skill sets. Your choice would be entirely based on what you have around them and what you need.

If Irons had remained healthy his senior year he might have been a first round pick. But that turf toe really limited his burst, ability to cut, and his overall agility. He was a shade of his junior year-self in 06 IMO

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Just as long as we all agree that we're looking for a guy who goes 5'8, 200 lbs

When I first glanced at the description in your link, I thought "please let this be 'The Lizard'...but then I realized the weight was off by about a hundo.

On topic, I remember listening to the AU/Tulane game in '06 when Dude went off in the second half. I love me some Ben Tate.

6 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

When I first glanced at the description in your link, I thought "please let this be 'The Lizard'...but then I realized the weight was off by about a hundo.

On topic, I remember listening to the AU/Tulane game in '06 when Dude went off in the second half. I love me some Ben Tate.

Hah... another missed opportunity for comedy on my part. Slipping.

• 2 weeks later...

Got to say I miss this thread being active and of course the once a week posts of: Why is Cam Akers not considering RB U but instead a team who's HC is known for never having a strong running game. 

6 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

At 5-11, 213, we need Cam. He can run over guys.

doesn't look like he will even official at this point. Like people pointed out above he does not really dig our family atmosphere we sell to recruits.

That's fine, it's not for everyone. We get a LOT of kids to fall in love with AU because of our sales pitch but no place has a 100% success rate with wowing a kid with their culture

• 1 month later...

jimbo for all his flaws is the third best recruiter for head coach in the country. FSU stays getting elite talent.

Archived