2017 5* RB Cam Akers (FSU 12/27/16)

aucanucktiger

So Bama had two 5* RBs committed from outside the state and we are still searching. AU shouldn't be in this situation. Puzzling

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So Bama had two 5* RBs committed from outside the state and we are still searching. AU shouldn't be in this situation. Puzzling

Not sure what's puzzling. Bama is searching too after losing Cam's commitment.

A favorite claim around here by some involves how if we get a recruit to visit, we usually have a really good chance with him. I'd say this, if a kid doesn't visit- we definitely won't get him. It's a simplistic view but true nonetheless and I'd wager this is no different.

NH seems like he could get away from bama, being a Cali kid. I think he'd decommit if a better situation presented itself.

Better situation like what? Saban has had TWO Heisman winning RB's in his tenure at uat. That's a pretty damn good situation for a top RB IMO.

NH seems like he could get away from bama, being a Cali kid. I think he'd decommit if a better situation presented itself.

Better situation like what? Saban has had TWO Heisman winning RB's in his tenure at uat. That's a pretty damn good situation for a top RB IMO.

Just from a depth chart and PT standpoint. I'm not saying that's what's going on here, just saying that for a kid whose footprint is outside of the SEC, it would be easier to move on if there were a perceived better situation.

Maybe he feels Scarborough and Harris have things locked up and both are young.

There is only one RBU, son.

Much better than my response! :) +1

USC ? :)

USC ? :)/>

Bruh

+1

And for those that say PT and the depth chart "could" be the better situation for these top studs, uat has proven that if you wait your turn and learn their offense then it will pay off huge dividends when your time comes to show your stuff.

+1

And for those that say PT and the depth chart "could" be the better situation for these top studs, uat has proven that if you wait your turn and learn their offense then it will pay off huge dividends when your time comes to show your stuff.

They get used like rented mules and end up being damaged good by the time they get to the league.

+1

Yup. Eddie Lacey is a top 5 NFL RB. Derrick Henry will have his shot. Trent Richardson had his shot. Mark Ingram is a first round pick who just had over 1,000 all purpose yards 13 games into his 5th season in the league. Kenyan Drake got drafted in the 3rd round. Lacey and Ingram have had some injury issues but both are still the unquestioned RB1 for their respective teams. bama has been the superior program for RBs for over half a decade.

+1

Yup. Eddie Lacey is a top 5 NFL RB. Derrick Henry will have his shot. Trent Richardson had his shot. Mark Ingram is a first round pick who just had over 1,000 all purpose yards 13 games into his 5th season in the league. Kenyan Drake got drafted in the 3rd round. Lacey and Ingram have had some injury issues but both are still the unquestioned RB1 for their respective teams. bama has been the superior program for RBs for over half a decade.

Did lacy not have to be replaced by starks at one or more points in his career to this point? That doesnt sound unquestioned.

+1

Did lacy not have to be replaced by starks at one or more points in his career to this point? That doesnt sound unquestioned.

He's missed games due to injury and, yes, Starks was the next man up. But Eddie Lacey is RB1 on Green Bay's depth chart when healthy.

Apologies, I'm dead wrong and you are totally correct about Lacy. I suppose I'm still going off my pre-2015 fantasy expectations.

Point remains that bama has been better than Auburn for RBs for years now, and it's definitely not their fault that Lacy is "fat, lazy, and (doesn't show) up on time to meetings."

+1

Disagree!!!

In the last 10 years, we've had Kenny Irons (NFL); then moved to Ben Tate (NFL); then moved to Michael Dyer (All-time freshman rushing leader and I believe now in NFL)/O-Mac (Not in NFL but quickest quy in the SEC in a while); moved to Tre Mason (NFL) and Cam Artis-Payne (NFL); We now are sitting pretty with Jovon Robinson who will probably get a shot in the NFL. Bama has not owned us in the running back situation. I'd say thier players certainly get more hype when their record is better than ours and they are playing for a national championship, but I generally think we bring in some very good backs that are just as good-if not better-than the backs that go through Bama.

Apologies, I'm dead wrong and you are totally correct about Lacy. I suppose I'm still going off my pre-2015 fantasy expectations.

Point remains that bama has been better than Auburn for RBs for years now, and it's definitely not their fault that Lacy is "fat, lazy, and (doesn't show) up on time to meetings."

I'm not blaming Bama for lacy. It was the comments on how great and wonderful their backs are that I took exception to. But I wouldn't go as far as claiming them to be better than we are with rbs. There's a reason we have the longest streak of 1000 yard rushers and things. Nfl still likes good players from good teams more than good players from mediocrity

Point remains that bama has been better than Auburn for RBs for years now

That's actually not true. If you take the performance of the #1 running back from 2010 - 2015 form both schools, Auburn averages a ranking of 29th in the NCAA and a total yards of 1359. bama averages a ranking of 31st and a total yards of 1385. Now, if you don't consider Cam a running back, then Auburn drops to 34th and 1296 yards counting Dyer's numbers. Of course, if you take away Henry's stellar year and just go 2010-2014, then Auburn KILLS bama, with a average yards per year of 1352 to bama's 971.

If you are just looking at the NFL, you have Ingram who took some time to get solidified and Lacy. Everyone else was a disappointment or has yet to prove themselves. On Auburn's side, you have CAP and Mason, who are still working to be #1 on their respective teams, but are both playing. Dyer fell apart long before he had his shot at the NFL, and then there's Cam, who is still a great runnig back, even though he's an NFL QB.

So I'd say, in the past half-decade, it's a wash, and if it weren't for Henry, Auburn would still be ahead by quite a bit.

Sigh.

Mark Ingram- Heisman winner, 28th overall pick in 2011, 1st RB taken

Trent Richardson- 3rd overall pick in 2012, 1st RB taken

Eddie Lacy- 61st overall pick in 2013, 4th RB taken

T.J. Yeldon (forgot about him)- 36th overall pick in 2015, 3rd RB taken

Derrick Henry- Heisman winner, 45th overall pick in 2016, 2nd RB taken

Kenyan Drake- 73rd overall pick in 2016, 3rd RB taken

Ben Tate- 58th overall pick in 2010, 6th RB taken

Michael Dyer- Not drafted, failed to make roster in Oakland

Onterrio McCalebb- UFA in 2013, signed with Cincinnati as a cornerback

Tre Mason- Heisman finalist, 75th overall pick in 2014, 5th RB taken

Cameron Artis-Payne- 174th overall pick in 2015, 15th RB taken

Peyton Barber- UFA in 2016

They have had 2 first rounders, had 2 guys taken in the top 3 RBs this past year alone, 2 Heisman winners, and haven't gone a year starting in 2011 without one of their guys being one of the first 4 RBs taken.

We have had no first rounders, had no guys taken higher than the 5th RB, no Heisman winners and 3 guys who failed to get drafted at all.

Which list looks more impressive to a high school recruit, which is what this thread is about?

^ still doesn't address my argument that their RB's are damaged goods on the next level.

Also, Maybe we should throw in Gus's work with Felix Jones and McFadden also?

Archived