Softball Super Regional vs. Arizona - game thread

Our infield play was very disappointing. There was not one exceptional play. Yes, those were tough chances but we let the ball play us. By contrast, the Arizona shortstop herself made two or three exceptional plays. If your opponent is going to be happy to beat the ball around the infield then infielders must step forward and make tough plays, turn some infield "hits" into outs. We didn't come close to doing that.

When the opponent pitches a two-hitter you're probably not going to win anyway, regardless of infield play. Tomorrow needs to be a better day, first in the infield and second at the plate.

I do feel sorry for our pitchers. They did their job and didn't get the fielding or scoring help they needed.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our infield play was very disappointing. There was not one exceptional play. Yes, those were tough chances but we let the ball play us. By contrast, the Arizona shortstop herself made two or three exceptional plays. If your opponent is going to be happy to beat the ball around the infield then infielders must step forward and make tough plays, turn some infield "hits" into outs. We didn't come close to doing that.

When the opponent pitches a two-hitter you're probably not going to win anyway, regardless of infield play. Tomorrow needs to be a better day, first in the infield and second at the plate.

I do feel sorry for our pitchers. They did their job and didn't get the fielding or scoring help they needed.

^ ^ ^ ^

A bit of this falls on the coaching IMO. We kept out infielders back most of the game and let those slappers and bunters leave the ball in no mans land time after time. I don't know how many "errors" we made but there were a large number of unremarkable defensive efforts that turned out to be hits.

That is a typical Candrea game. Fundamental defense, solid pitching and speed. Candrea and his predecessor, Coach Ray, were leaders in perfecting the small ball game. It is similar to Myers' game. They played it better than we did. There is no doubt that O'toole will pitch again tomorrow. Hopefully we saw enough of her stuff that we can make the necessary adjustments. I hope the crowd shows up again on Sunday with the enthusiam we had early today. War Eagle!!

LSU won two games today so it can be done . Need a good crowd some lively bats . Looking forward to the big comeback.

^ ^ ^ ^

A bit of this falls on the coaching IMO. We kept out infielders back most of the game and let those slappers and bunters leave the ball in no mans land time after time. I don't know how many "errors" we made but there were a large number of unremarkable defensive efforts that turned out to be hits.

Excellent. I can't think of a better way to describe our infield play than "unremarkable". Kudos!

We've had a hard time against lefties all year and yesterday was just a continuation. Their pitcher is an ace and gives us very little room for error.

We've had a hard time against lefties all year and yesterday was just a continuation. Their pitcher is an ace and gives us very little room for error.

True...but somehow we have to avoid letting them get SIX infield hits....scored runs without a ball getting off the dirt. Smart play by Az as noted, but we know what to expect ....so....just need to get it done.

Maybe time for a leaking hose in front of the home plate area.

Archived