Baylor fallout can effect AU recruiting

ellitor

...And more than just top QB target Kellen Mond. Link

Auburn certainly didn't waste any time putting out an offer to 4-star receiverHezekiah Jones of Stafford (Tx.) on Saturday, doing so just two hours after he de-committed from Baylor.

Jones’ de-commitment came in the wake of the news Baylor would fire coach Art Briles after a review of the school’s handling of sexual assault allegations made against multiple football players. The class is crumbling, and fast.

And Auburn, like many other programs, hopes to gain from Baylor's fall.

But Jones isn't the only former or current Baylor commit on Auburn's radar.

Far from it.

The Tigers continue to heavily recruit 4-star Baylor quarterback commit Kellen Mond, a Texas native now at Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy. Mond, the No. 4 dual-threat quarterback in the country, is one of just two Bears commits left on the board — and he is a soft commit at that.

Even before it became known Briles was out, Mond was looking hard at Auburn, Ohio State and Texas A&M.

Now, he is likely to pick a new school soon, possibly by the end of this week, according to 247Sports' Brian Perroni. In the 247Sports Crystal Ball, the Tigers have started to pick up some steam as many in the media now see Auburn as his likely landing spot.

Mond likely will visit Auburn soon, but it won’t be next Saturday for the program’s annual Big Cat Weekend, the Tigers' signature recruiting event. He’ll be in California for the Elite 11 quarterback competition.

Mond has visited the Tigers twice, most recently in April with his IMG Academy teammates.

Should Auburn get a commitment from Mond, it might help the Tigers with another recent Baylor de-commit — 4-star receiver Jhamon Ausbon, his teammate of IMG Academy. Mond and Ausbon are extremely close friends.

Ausbon, the No. 9 receiver in the country, is thought to be a Texas A&M lean, but he visited Auburn in April for the first time, gave the trip rave reviews and plans to return next weekend. The Tigers, for their part, made two stops at IMG Academy this spring.

Auburn’s interest in these current and former Baylor commits isn’t just related to Briles’ troubles. It’s also about fit. The two programs have similar offenses.

Of note, Tigers coach Gus Malzahn and Auburn offensive coorindator Rhett Lashlee visited Briles and the Bears in February to compare notes, something that is customary in college football between staffs that are friendly with one another.

Before Briles was on the way out at Baylor, Auburn already believed it had a shot with Mond.

But now, the Tigers's odds of landing the heralded quarterback seem to have risen. The question now is, can they also potentially land Jones and Ausbon?

Thanks E..bet.. all those Texas schools are wearing out twitter or whatever they use these days tracking down those Baylor prospects. JMO but seems to me that TCU might have the best crack at them.....in the area and a solid program too. Would be nice to get a little of that speed.

Perroni and KN are feeling the Baylor goes to AU. Each have at least one CB; Ausbon, Mond, and Jones.

This will be a first. A university committing to Auburn? Sweet. So do we get to pick which Baylor players we want? :)

Per Edward Norton in Rounders, "Wow. Lot of action...lot of action."

His character was Worm & he got beat up right after that from dealing from the bottom of the deck. One of my all time favorite movies.

His character was Worm & he got beat up right after that from dealing from the bottom of the deck. One of my all time favorite movies.

famke janssen

/thread

famke janssen

/thread

Yup...E likey Famke!

Famke is easily a composite 5*, even though Scout has her rated as a 4*.

The Grateful Dead opined on the Baylor situation when they sang that "one man gathers what another man spills."

The Grateful Dead opined on the Baylor situation when they sang that "one man gathers what another man spills."

And she has aged very well like fine wine.

Sorry for the old pervs highjacking. Back to Mond, Ausbon, & Jones. We have a really good shot with 2 of them & a good shot w/ the other.

Sorry for the old pervs highjacking. Back to Mond, Ausbon, & Jones. We have a really good shot with 2 of them & a good shot w/ the other.

Which WR do we have a better shot with?

Ausbon could commit this weekend at BCW if Mond commits today...Yes Engineer 2016 & Scotts, I was wrong.

Ausbon could commit this weekend at BCW if Mond commits today...Yes Engineer 2016 & Scotts, I was wrong.

Wow, thanks

Pretty telling that I'm more shocked when you're wrong than when you're right. Appreciate all you do E, you bring a ton and a bit of info here. Thanks for all you do.

I'm just the blind squirrel that found the nut ;)

One of my good friends mom was a signer with the grateful dead

Archived