Are There Roster Limitations in the Tournament?

During the regional and super regional games, I've noticed several players not in uniform, but in the dugout. Last weekend I noticed Maria Mitchell, who hasn't played in a while. Today I specifically noticed Sydne Waldrop in shorts and a Tee. There were others I can't recall right now. Didn't notice this at all during the regular season. Even Fagan was dressed out, when it was known she wasn't going to play. ???

The limit for the NCAA Tournament is around 20 in uniform. We have a very large roster for softball with 30 players.

The limit for the NCAA Tournament is around 20 in uniform. We have a very large roster for softball with 30 players.

Can you provide a link to that information?

Can you provide a link to that information?

Can't find a link but it makes sense given the NCAA limits baseball rosters for post season play & mirrors baseball & softball on rules of that nature. A Vandy baseball player got a big hit the other day & the announcers said he was the last player Corbin picked for the post season roster.

Found this on a site about rules of play. Note the tie-breaker rule...don't think I have ever seen that enacted.....anyone?

http://www.ehow.com/list_6734833_women_s-college-softball-rules.html

Rules of Play

• Each team plays with nine players on the field with a maximum roster of 20 players. A 10th player is allowed to serve as a designated player. This player replaces another player on defense or at bat and can be used to replace any of the other nine players on defense. Games are seven innings, but can end after five innings if one team is winning by eight or more runs. Games that are tied after seven innings lead to extra innings. A tiebreaker rule allows each team to place the ninth batter in the order on second base to start the inning. The tiebreaker rule begins with a predetermined inning. NCAA rules recommend using the rule beginning in the 10th inning. A complete game requires five innings to be completed. A game stopped before five innings does not count as a win or loss for either team.

That has always been a strange rule about putting a runner at 2nd base for tiebreakers after 9 innings.

I guess this is like college football that's starts on the 25 for OT but after 3 OTs teams have to score TDS and no FGs allowed.

I guess they don't want to drag on a softball game.

Found this on a site about rules of play. Note the tie-breaker rule...don't think I have ever seen that enacted.....anyone?

http://www.ehow.com/...ball-rules.html

Rules of Play

• Each team plays with nine players on the field with a maximum roster of 20 players. A 10th player is allowed to serve as a designated player. This player replaces another player on defense or at bat and can be used to replace any of the other nine players on defense. Games are seven innings, but can end after five innings if one team is winning by eight or more runs. Games that are tied after seven innings lead to extra innings. A tiebreaker rule allows each team to place the ninth batter in the order on second base to start the inning. The tiebreaker rule begins with a predetermined inning. NCAA rules recommend using the rule beginning in the 10th inning. A complete game requires five innings to be completed. A game stopped before five innings does not count as a win or loss for either team.

It's for nonconference games. There were a couple early thios year that did that. If I remember correctly AU was in 1...w/ Indiana I think.

Alabama High School uses the same tiebreaker, but only in non-area games and if agreed by both coaches before the game. If used, it usually starts after 7 innings (vice after 9). The rule is in the NCAA rule book as well.

However, I did not see anything about roster limits in the NCAA rule book. There is not a roster limit in high school. It may be something additional for WCWS playoffs.

Alabama High School uses the same tiebreaker, but only in non-area games and if agreed by both coaches before the game. If used, it usually starts after 7 innings (vice after 9). The rule is in the NCAA rule book as well.

However, I did not see anything about roster limits in the NCAA rule book. There is not a roster limit in high school. It may be something additional for WCWS playoffs.

The rule book is 288 pages.... https://www.ncaapublications.com/p-3955-2010-2011-womens-softball-rules-2-year-publication.aspx .....but a couple sites that summarize the important rules and refer to the NCAA rules mention the 20 roster limit.

Saw no indication that the CWCS had different rules.

Thanks for the replies. I know Auburn has 30 players on its roster including Bogaards, who now sits in the stands. It seemed to me earlier in the year that I could find most, if not all those players in the dugout during the TV games.

Ellitor is right about the use of the tiebreaker rule in the Indiana game.

I've seen that tiebreaker used in the Olympic games, maybe even more than once.

PS: With the 20 player limit, I wonder if those kids that have been in the dugout and playing a little in blowouts all year will be allowed to travel to the WCWS at team expense or will they have to pay their own expenses?

PS: With the 20 player limit, I wonder if those kids that have been in the dugout and playing a little in blowouts all year will be allowed to travel to the WCWS at team expense or will they have to pay their own expenses?

They will all travel with the team. I was in OKC last year, and the girls sat in the stands (designated AU section) during the game. Basically, they can't be in uniform and only so many people (coaches included) can be in the dugout. For example, our trainer is still in the dugout, but even some of the GA's have to sit in the stands. The girls are allowed on the field before and after the game though.

They will all travel with the team. I was in OKC last year, and the girls sat in the stands (designated AU section) during the game. Basically, they can't be in uniform and only so many people (coaches included) can be in the dugout. For example, our trainer is still in the dugout, but even some of the GA's have to sit in the stands. The girls are allowed on the field before and after the game though.

Good info, thanks!

When does a team have to submit its own official roster ? … Can a coach change the official roster from one game to the next?

When does a team have to submit its own official roster ? … Can a coach change the official roster from one game to the next?

I imagine those questions can only be answered by an AU softball coach or softball admin. I will say on question 2 that in most sports that have post season roster limits, rosters have to be submitted right after the regular season ends & can't change from that point on in the post season.

I imagine those questions can only be answered by an AU softball coach or softball admin. I will say on question 2 that in most sports that have post season roster limits, rosters have to be submitted right after the regular season ends & can't change from that point on in the post season.

That would seem logical...otherwise a coach could shift players around game to game depending on the opponent.

BTW...someone mentioned the NCAA softball rule book. I went to the site...the book was 288 +/- pages of rules and interpretations.

I scanned the book to get a feel for it and I'm here to tell you that the game is far more complicated....rules wise....than I could have imagined. They leave nothing to chance and everything is standardized...fields, bats, what the coaches can do, rules about meetings, etc. etc. ...the whole thing.

And I bet Clint knows that book as well as any coach in the land.

That would seem logical...otherwise a coach could shift players around game to game depending on the opponent.

BTW...someone mentioned the NCAA softball rule book. I went to the site...the book was 288 +/- pages of rules and interpretations.

I scanned the book to get a feel for it and I'm here to tell you that the game is far more complicated....rules wise....than I could have imagined. They leave nothing to chance and everything is standardized...fields, bats, what the coaches can do, rules about meetings, etc. etc. ...the whole thing.

And I bet Clint knows that book as well as any coach in the land.

agree

The tiebreaker rule is known as the International Tiebreaker Rule and as the name suggests, it's used extensively in international play. The rule as listed in the post can be confusing. It's not the 9th batter in the batting order, but the last batter from the previous inning. It's used quite often in tournament play to cut down the length of extra inning games. Don't see it used as much these days as in the past. And I agree, you won't find many who know the rules better than CCM.

Archived