2015 vs. 2016 Softball

Who do you think is the better team?

The 2015 team, to me, was so good on offense last year. We weren't as good pitching wise, but our defense was good, if not better in 2015. I think they definitely had that never say die attitude and they kept winning games.

For some reason, this 2016 team does not seem as polished as last year's team, but one thing is for sure: they win and they win a lot. Pitching has been very good this year, and the offense has scored enough to win games. It may just be that we were much more on the tempered excitement train last year, and now there are some expectations there. It also may be that this year's team is much more serious about winning it all, and is only focused on finding ways to win games in any way they can.

Can this year's team win it all and produce even loftier results than last year's dynamic team? What ye say

That's probably an accurate observation. I think the pitching this year is better. There's still not a shutdown ace, but they are setup well for tournaments because your ace can't pitch all the games. AU has deep enough pitching where they don't have to hope their ace can hang on.

As for offense, it's more a doubles team relying on speed than the power we saw last year. AU has hit fewer HR this year than in the previous two by quite a few (20 or so). They are better at making contact I think but I haven't looked at stats to confirm that.

The hitting line up was deeper and better in 2015. Pitching better in 2016. In a hypothetical 7 game series if Carlson, Martin, & Walters are on I say 2016 in 7. If they aren't 2015 in 5.

As far as the CWS goes, I like the pitching depth this year more-so than the Power of last year, especially if we end up with a loss early on. I do think the never- out mentality was a little stronger last year, but we have shown a little of that magic this year. They just do it differently. We come back from a loss to Arizona to methodically take them apart as the series goes on. I don't feel as confident as I did last year with needing 5 runs in the 7th to take a win

As far as the CWS goes, I like the pitching depth this year more-so than the Power of last year, especially if we end up with a loss early on. I do think the never- out mentality was a little stronger last year, but we have shown a little of that magic this year. They just do it differently. We come back from a loss to Arizona to methodically take them apart as the series goes on. I don't feel as confident as I did last year with needing 5 runs in the 7th to take a win

Pitching is much better IMO with the addition of Martin and Carlson....and still have the back-up if the coaches want to give a different look.

Hitting does not seem to be as robust. We lost our hitting coach, Casey Myers to the Padres over the off-season and I think that has made a bit of a difference.

Melero and Fagan hit 30 homers between them last year. Gipson and Jordan have hit about 8-10, so there's the difference in homers. Carosone hit a few less, I think, but Cooper and Rhodes maintained their numbers from last year. Two of the three pitchers we went to the CWS with last year haven't seen the circle there this year. To sum it up, I love both teams.

In general our homerun production has dropped off the last month or so. We are due to break out with a big game. Although it may be a different approach along with tougher pitching.

I think Fagan coming back during the playoffs has improved the hittig strength of the team . Just my opinion but this team it is not much behind 2015 team .....if at all.

I think Fagan coming back during the playoffs has improved the hittig strength of the team . Just my opinion but this team it is not much behind 2015 team .....if at all.

Not the same power-wise, but production wise, with Fangsn back, that's probably the case.

There's no doubt that Fagan has made a big difference. The bottom end is almost respectable with her back. Draper in the nine-hole has had some big hits of late too.

Clearly they read this thread and said, "You want power, you got power!!"

I know. This was exactly the type of offensive game I thought we were due to have. I did not anticipate the amount of pitching miscues tonight.

A few comments:

Gibson smashed the crap out of that ball in the bottom of the 8th. It still had enough steam on it to roll to the wall after the FSU outfielder deflected it. If that one had had some lift on it she'd have had a walkoff homer.

Not often a team (in this case Auburn) gives up five walks and a hit batter in the final three innings and still wins the game. That was scary.

Jordan was trying to hit the ball HARD in that last at-bat. I mean, she was taking some rips! That kept the FSU infield back and was one reason, along with fine base running and base coaching, that the winning run scored.

My most vivid memory of Oklahoma is the thrashing they gave us in the 1972 Sugar Bowl. 40-22 doesn't begin to tell how lopsided that game was. It was so bad that I went back to the room and went to sleep instead of taking another trip through the French Quarter. Hoping for some revenge, all these years later.

This 2016 team has found their will to win that I felt was not as strong as the 15 squad to begin the CWS. The fight against GA, FSU and OU these last 2 games shows they have it. Down 7 runs early to score 11 unanswered is just remarkable, along with making the plays in the circle and in the field to keep the game close. 2016 is turning into the total package and they deserve to bring it home tomorrow.

This 2016 team has found their will to win that I felt was not as strong as the 15 squad to begin the CWS. The fight against GA, FSU and OU these last 2 games shows they have it. Down 7 runs early to score 11 unanswered is just remarkable, along with making the plays in the circle and in the field to keep the game close. 2016 is turning into the total package and they deserve to bring it home tomorrow.

The experience last year has helped a ton this year. I don't think it was a will thing because the 2015 team overcame deficits like the 2016 has, they just had a bit less pitching, and it seems most coaches believe pitching is the way to win in college softball.

The experience last year has helped a ton this year. I don't think it was a will thing because the 2015 team overcame deficits like the 2016 has, they just had a bit less pitching, and it seems most coaches believe pitching is the way to win in college softball.

I agree on 2015. That was the reference. I felt more comfortable going into the final inning down 2 runs with last year's team compared to this year before the CWS started. The 2016 team has shown this tourney they are just as resilient.

Archived