Gus sees no need in going to satellite camps.

So he isn't going to go to any. The camps have nothing to do with recruiting says Gus. Meanwhile Jim and Kirby are having a camp in Atlanta today. At a high school full of top rated recruits. Kirby arrived in a Helicopter. Nothing to do with recruiting. Maybe Gus could go sit in the parking lot and show off his new car.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So he isn't going to go to any. The camps have nothing to do with recruiting says Gus. Meanwhile Jim and Kirby are having a camp in Atlanta today. At a high school full of top rated recruits. Kirby arrived in a Helicopter. Nothing to do with recruiting. Maybe Gus could go sit in the parking lot and show off his new car.

Recruiting is the only reason big schools have it. He has scheduled 3 AU satallite camps: Miami, MGCCC, & ATL He knows it's about recruiting. He is also probably the 6th best recruiter on the staff anyway so might as well have the good recruiting coaches on staff do it.

Recruiting is the only reason big schools have it. He has scheduled 3 AU satallite camps: Miami, MGCCC, & ATL He knows it's about recruiting. He is also probably the 6th best recruiter on the staff anyway so might as well have the good recruiting coaches on staff do it.

No way you want the head coach at a recruiting event.

Yes I want him there but I don't think his personality at events like these adds much of a recruiting boost for AU.

However, I can see a flip side to this. I can see recruits possibly think, Why is Gus not here? Do he think we aren't worth seeing.

Kirby must learned how well the helicopter thing works from Kiffin.

Good Morning Frank

Good Morning Frank

I got him Bird.

I think you want the HC there if for nothing else just to bolster the our program's standing in the eyes of these kids. Gus is the face of our program. He should be there IMO

Good Morning Frank

I got him Bird.

Cheers-GIF.gif?gs=a

Yes I want him there but I don't think his personality at events like these adds much of a recruiting boost for AU.

However, I can see a flip side to this. I can see recruits possibly think, Why is Gus not here? Do he think we aren't worth seeing.

Gus said he thought it better if he stayed in Auburn to be with the current players. This I do not understand at all. He can't coach them in any way as it would be a violation. Does he think the players feel better, work out on their own better, if he is in the city limits? I'm totally confused.

Good Morning Frank

I got him Bird.

Ha. Yeah right. You are nothing to me.

Gus said he thought it better if he stayed in Auburn to be with the current players. This I do not understand at all. He can't coach them in any way as it would be a violation. Does he think the players feel better, work out on their own better, if he is in the city limits? I'm totally confused.

Sounds like an excuse to not have to do this. I think the SEC coaches, many of whom are already positioned in these highly talented areas, are against all of this because it ultimately becomes more work for them to have to go to these places and hold entire camps.

To start I know very little about these satellite camps so with that I have a few questions.

1) What's the structure of these camps. Is it like a neighborhood get together and every kid who thinks he can run fast gets to participate?

2) Are there enough good athletes to really see or could a coach's time be spent better by watching film of the kid or scheming for upcoming opponents? Think ROI

3) What NCAA rules apply? Is the coach walking on pins and needles to ensure he doesn't break a (BUMP)rule?

Good Morning Frank

I got him Bird.

Glad we got that cleared up. Now what do you think of Gus not going to camps

Good Morning Frank

I got him Bird.

Glad we got that cleared up. Now what do you think of Gus not going to camps

If Gus says it is unnecessary, then I will defer to his judgement.

It's just an excuse since he does not want to go to these camps IMO.

What would Clint Myers do?

Wolf up. Those who watch AU softball religously like me will get the reference.

To start I know very little about these satellite camps so with that I have a few questions.

1) What's the structure of these camps. Is it like a neighborhood get together and every kid who thinks he can run fast gets to participate?

2) Are there enough good athletes to really see or could a coach's time be spent better by watching film of the kid or scheming for upcoming opponents? Think ROI

3) What NCAA rules apply? Is the coach walking on pins and needles to ensure he doesn't break a (BUMP)rule?

1. No. It's run by the high schools or jucos that host thecamps. Pretty sure there is a registration fee for players who don't play for the host HS or juco. The sponsored colleges get a kick back too I believe.

2. Coaches won't be there to watch a wide number of kids. They are there to watch kids they have already targeted. They essentially get another evaluation day w/ them. The only way coaches look at new kids is if another kid consistently mops the floor with every one including already targeted guys.

3. See Nick Saban's presser from a couple days ago. It's so much better & entertaining than any answer could give.

Did ellitor mean Gus is the 6th best recruiter on the AU staff?

Did ellitor mean Gus is the 6th best recruiter on the AU staff?

Yes IMO he's behind CRG, CWM, CTH, CHH, & maybe T-Will.

I've never gotten a good read on how strong of a recruiter Gus really is. He's always done a good job of having strong recruiters on staff, but it seems he's not mentioned very strongly by players when discussing AU to me. Anyway, hard to argue with the coaches you have ranked ahead of him in recruiting. An interesting take by someone I know follows this stuff closely. Thanks

Archived