Gus sees no need in going to satellite camps.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did ellitor mean Gus is the 6th best recruiter on the AU staff?

Yes IMO he's behind CRG, CWM, CTH, CHH, & maybe T-Will.

Fountain before T-Will and maybe both before Gus. On campus, I think Gus is a closer, but agree he isn't the go to go to these vents and make a splash.

If he sees no need in going then good, he shouldn't go. That's kind of in the head coach's job description, deciding who goes where and when they go. It's about the time of year when these guys take their annual break from the 90+ hour work weeks anyway. They should go enjoy the beaches, in shifts if necessary.

Meanwhile, is anyone else but me enjoying the ps**** contest between Harbaugh and Saban ?....the only thing that would make it more fun is for Urban to wade in with a few comments.

Gus is a better recruiter than people give him credit for. He is very personable and relates very well with players and recruits. Like E said though Gus isn't our best recruiter. I do however feel he should use these camps to get more time with the recruits.

Meanwhile, is anyone else but me enjoying the ps**** contest between Harbaugh and Saban ?....the only thing that would make it more fun is for Urban to wade in with a few comments.

I'm not. In doing that, they're only further positioning themselves as *the* alphas in CFB.

And I think maybe that's part of what rubs some folks the wrong way with Gus not going to these camps. He doesn't necessarily need to get into Saban's and Harbaugh's d*** size contest, but maybe he should be flexing a little more than he is. I'm on the fence, as that could easily backfire in the vein of "better to let people think you're stupid than to open your mouth and remove all doubt" (apologies for the likely misquote). Then again, nobody's going to believe that Auburn belongs in the ring with the big boys until Auburn believes it.

Gus is a better recruiter than people give him credit for. He is very personable and relates very well with players and recruits. Like E said though Gus isn't our best recruiter. I do however feel he should use these camps to get more time with the recruits.

I can see where Gus is coming from. It is widely thought of by the coaches in the SEC that attending these camps for SEC coaches are a waste of time because these kids are already in their back yard & attending will not help them 1 bit to land targets. Also they are not attending looking for new targets. The camps mainly just help the Northern schools w/ Southern talent & small schools that would not be able to eval these kids well otherwise.

I agree E. I think these camps and other Satellite camps that keep getting in the news is because coaches OUTSIDE the SEC are trying to go where the BEST athletes are, and coaches like CGM have already done their homework for the states that surround us, and have already in place camps and visits lined up to serve best in recruiting them and getting their commitment.

I see for now no advantage to Gus. I would rather he work on our offense at home and make sure we have a potent offense like we had in the past. :))))

I am with you E, I also see where Gus is coming from.. I do like his stance of wanting to spend all his time with the current players. However, it definitely wouldn't hurt with Gus getting to spend any extra time possible with the recruits.

I get why Gus does not want to do these camps and I understand that this is the time of year coaches take time off. However; the business of college football is all about keeping up with the Joneses and IMO, these camps are only going to get bigger going forward. Gus (and any other coach not named Saban or Urban Meyer) needs to be on the ground floor of this and not fall behind. Saban and Meyer are probably the only two coaches that can blow these camps off for a few years without it affecting their recruiting much.

wde

I can see where Gus is coming from. It is widely thought of by the coaches in the SEC that attending these camps for SEC coaches are a waste of time because these kids are already in their back yard & attending will not help them 1 bit to land targets. Also they are not attending looking for new targets. The camps mainly just help the Northern schools w/ Southern talent & small schools that would not be able to eval these kids well otherwise.

This^^^

Again, excuse me for my ignorance on satellite camps, but one more question. Are these athletes being evaluated in pads in game like or one on one situations? If not, my personal opinion is it would be hard to evaluate an athlete's game skill, heart, speed, etc. without a full contact approach. You may see how fast and agile a kid is without full contact but not much else and would seem to be a waste of time other saying hi i'm coach xyz.

Again, excuse me for my ignorance on satellite camps, but one more question. Are these athletes being evaluated in pads in game like or one on one situations? If not, my personal opinion is it would be hard to evaluate an athlete's game skill, heart, speed, etc. without a full contact approach. You may see how fast and agile a kid is without full contact but not much else and would seem to be a waste of time other saying hi i'm coach xyz.

No pads in most cases & most of the work is like 7 on 7 group work.

This is just guessing, but that "open letter" that there was a thread for might shed some light on other things you can observe about a kid at something like that. Also, I'd think there'd be some value in "repping your brand" at these things. The kids aren't just selling themselves to coaches. The coaches at all times are selling their programs to the kids. Again, just guesses.

This is just guessing, but that "open letter" that there was a thread for might shed some light on other things you can observe about a kid at something like that. Also, I'd think there'd be some value in "repping your brand" at these things. The kids aren't just selling themselves to coaches. The coaches at all times are selling their programs to the kids. Again, just guesses.

That could be correct but some comments from Harbaugh and others indicated they are usually going to look at one or two specific players....and not just "selling the program".

If those comments are accurate, seems that HCs from the major programs are not just out shopping around for some diamond in the rough....leave that job to the coordinators to sort out prospects. They are likely going to camps where they want to impress some particular player, and likely not spending money and time to just be seen...JMO

Gus has too much pride and is too stubborn

:-\

Gus has too much pride and is too stubborn

:-\/>

Like I could give a flying....But I will say that's how I feel every time you post in the basketball thread

If there is a time where a rival coach can be in a prospects ear telling him to come to your school, you are an absolute idiot if you or some representative of your school isn't there as well. Plain and simple. Like at the end of the year when the Alabama all star game practice is in Montgomery, that year we were stupid as hell and didn't have anybody at the practice yet bammer was there in the recruits and their family ears....

It's not rocket science and yeah you can convince yourself MAYBE I don't need to be here but maybe you do....What could it hurt being there? Trying to prove points or just being lazy period can end up costing you your job or at the least giving you a big headache because you're losing

In the end this is not going to be about recruiting players. It is about building relationships with high school coaches. The college coaches that put in work at these camps are going to have much better relationships with HS coaches than the competition that only visits the HS once a year for 5 minutes. Not supporting these high school coaches at their camps is a mistake that will hurt for years.

If there is a time where a rival coach can be in a prospects ear telling him to come to your school, you are an absolute idiot if you or some representative of your school isn't there as well. Plain and simple. Like at the end of the year when the Alabama all star game practice is in Montgomery, that year we were stupid as hell and didn't have anybody at the practice yet bammer was there in the recruits and their family ears....

It's not rocket science and yeah you can convince yourself MAYBE I don't need to be here but maybe you do....What could it hurt being there? Trying to prove points or just being lazy period can end up costing you your job or at the least giving you a big headache because you're losing

+1

Add in the fact that college representatives have unlimited access to the high school coaches that work these camps, and your staff can build relationships that will pay off years down the road.

Sometimes when a head coach takes the time to show up at one of these events dressed in a school polo shirt and watches a few reps, talks to a few of the HS coaches and shows some interest it could leave an impression on a young kid or his parent when they start evaluating their college choice.

I don't see these camps as a waste of time at all.

+1

Add in the fact that college representatives have unlimited access to the high school coaches that work these camps, and your staff can build relationships that will pay off years down the road.

Sometimes when a head coach takes the time to show up at one of these events dressed in a school polo shirt and watches a few reps, talks to a few of the HS coaches and shows some interest it could leave an impression on a young kid or his parent when they start evaluating their college choice.

I don't see these camps as a waste of time at all.

Many of the same thoughts I had, from both posts.

Thanks goodness they are not using a limo....

The limo was "Auburn Football" in your face 100% and the kids loved it. IMO it was a great marketing tool at the time, the media picked up on it and the coaches were smart to use a tool that got positive attention to AU and the program.

Archived