WCWS Softball vs. Georgia - Game thread

I had a call made against me in a game where I touched a runner while the play was still live. Slapped a runner on his butt going home and female called him out because I aided a runner . Then she tossed me when I told her she called the runner out because I touched his butt, not her.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I admit I have a limited knowledge of the softball rule book, but I know for a fact there is no such thing as a baseline between 1st and 2nd OR between 2nd and 3rd. It's called the base PATH. I agree that Carosone was probably out of the base path but the call on Scott Woodard touching rhodes is a bit suspect. There was no intent there. He didn't interfere with the play at all. All he did was stop rhodes from going to the dugout. I don't see how that is interference or illegal. Would like a rule reference for that one. Auburn gained no advantage by him touches or grabbing Rhodes. NONE. She wasn't going to be tagged out as she's in foul territory and made no effort at all to advance.

The relevant rule reads:

7.09(i) It is interference when ... in the judgment of the umpire, the base coach at third base, or first base, by touching or holding the runner, physically assists that runner in returning to or leaving third base or first base.

The key to properly applying this rule is that the base coach must physically assist the runner for interference to be called. Thus, interference should not be called if, for example, the base coach "high fives" the batter following a home run, since this does not constitute physical assistance.

On the other hand, interference may be called if a base coach pushes a runner towards a base, stops a runner who has overrun a base, helps a player to his feet while the ball is live, physically stops a runner who has missed a base, etc.

Now that I think about it, Clint does low five the HR hitters and that's OK. The way this is written makes me think that the situation tonight is a judgement call and since we cannot see how close Jade was or when and how she was "assisted", it's impossible to know if the right call was made.

Either way, Jade should be more aware of the situation and should be listening if she's not sure.

Absolutely. Jade should know better. Every player at this level should know better. I believe on her swing, she chopped it into the ground before it reached 2nd. It wasn't a pop up that just dropped, I believe the ball was already grounded, so I'm not sure why she thought she was out at 1st to begin with.

Well if she did not know the out of the base path rule correctly it's conceivable she could have thought it meant she was out too like on some of those weird interference plays in softball.

I am really beginning to think Jade saw Kasey score and thought the game was over, like a walk off. That's still a lack of focus but it seems a little more plausible than thinking it was popped up. I think this a little more after seeing the video that shows Jade a little exuberant when clutching hands with coach. It looked like a celebrating clutch but he may have also been trying to get her back on the base.

One thing to remember about the play is the ball is not "dead" unless by rule it comes dead (interference and some other situations), time is called or it enters dead ball territory. During the OU-UM game, they showed a different camera angle and it was clear that Jade went way past first (allowing Cooper to score) and when she came back the coach did grab her and spin her which assisted her and thus the rule was invoked. And it was an advantage because is she had walked off the field, she would have been out. Umps got the call right.

Also, the clip showed had the conversation between plate umpire and Clint and Clint did not argue it but did emphasize that the run scored and plate said yes, the run scores.

It does not matter if they call Carosone out at second on the force or out for being out of the baseline as that does not make the ball dead nor does it give an automatic second out. The error made on the play was Jade thinking she was out and not being aware of what had happened.

One thing to remember about the play is the ball is not "dead" unless by rule it comes dead (interference and some other situations), time is called or it enters dead ball territory. During the OU-UM game, they showed a different camera angle and it was clear that Jade went way past first (allowing Cooper to score) and when she came back the coach did grab her and spin her which assisted her and thus the rule was invoked. And it was an advantage because is she had walked off the field, she would have been out. Umps got the call right.

Also, the clip showed had the conversation between plate umpire and Clint and Clint did not argue it but did emphasize that the run scored and plate said yes, the run scores.

It does not matter if they call Carosone out at second on the force or out for being out of the baseline as that does not make the ball dead nor does it give an automatic second out. The error made on the play was Jade thinking she was out and not being aware of what had happened.

Thanks for the explanation....I did not see the extent of "contact" between Jade and the Coach...so to me, at the time, the call seemed overly technical for something that would not have affected the play....

Wow. Finally saw the video of the out on Jade. That's not at all what I envisioned happened. It didn't look like she was headed to the dugout, it just looked like a forceful high five where he held on and she sort of swung around him. He didn't grab her any more than she grabbed him. She wasn't "live" in the sense that she hadn't made a move to second, but she was off first. I'd be hard pressed to call that an assist and I rescind all my posts saying it was a brain dead move by Jade. It was a celebration of scoring the run, nothing more on her part.

Wow. Finally saw the video of the out on Jade. That's not at all what I envisioned happened. It didn't look like she was headed to the dugout, it just looked like a forceful high five where he held on and she sort of swung around him. He didn't grab her any more than she grabbed him. She wasn't "live" in the sense that she hadn't made a move to second, but she was off first. I'd be hard pressed to call that an assist and I rescind all my posts saying it was a brain dead move by Jade. It was a celebration of scoring the run, nothing more on her part.

Interesting video and subject to some interpretations I guess...was more than just a high five and looked like she might have just run by the coach toward home if he had not caught her hand. I do think she might have thought the game was over at that point.

Either way, it apparently was enough "contact" to catch the eye of the UGa coach and bring the rule into effect. The good news is that other than creating a few tense moments at the end of the 7th nobody had to live with the outcome of the play.

Interesting video and subject to some interpretations I guess...was more than just a high five and looked like she might have just run by the coach toward home if he had not caught her hand. I do think she might have thought the game was over at that point.

Either way, it apparently was enough "contact" to catch the eye of the UGa coach and bring the rule into effect. The good news is that other than creating a few tense moments at the end of the 7th nobody had to live with the outcome of the play.

Bingo.

Yeah, I agree, but it's the question of whether to coach assisted and I suppose it being more than a high five made it so. Water under the bridge though.

Archived