***2017 3* Juco ATH Octavius Matthews (AU decommit 1/26/17)

RunInRed

Man alive, this boy can fly. Everyone looks like they are in slow motion compared to him in his hudl videos. He looks like Tecmo Bowl Bo Jackson, just flying past everyone.

Man alive, this boy can fly. Everyone looks like they are in slow motion compared to him in his hudl videos. He looks like Tecmo Bowl Bo Jackson, just flying past everyone.

Hey brother off topic and definitely probably best sent as a dm, but are you living in Oregon. I moved here and started a business after my time in the Army. Married me an Oregon girl 8 years ago and moved here to get her closer to family.

• 2 weeks later...

Why do these clowns have him as a 3 star recruit?? They must have lost what little sense remaining in that cavity between their ears! This young man will be a fast and punishing RB. I cannot wait until he hits the field and runs over a lot of players on his way to a couple of 1,000 plus yard seasons.

He had a couple high profile fumbles I believe though which clouds judgment.

Agreed. Same might go for a certain former tweener who Matthews might somewhat fill in for.

Imagine if that guy hadn't transferred and the sky hadn't fallen

Why do these clowns have him as a 3 star recruit?? They must have lost what little sense remaining in that cavity between their ears! This young man will be a fast and punishing RB. I cannot wait until he hits the field and runs over a lot of players on his way to a couple of 1,000 plus yard seasons.

Few 4 stars are given out for jucos til after their last season of juco ball.

This kid is another great pickup at a position of need. It is time some posters start giving Gus and his coaches some credit. Last year we had 3 main areas of concern D-Line, Wide receiver and Linebacker. We had what may be our best WR class ever and also one of our better D-Line class. We didn't do that well in a year that was a little weak at Linebacker. This year with two Offensive Tackles leaving early because of earlier classes and a transfer we are OK but really need a couple of studs at Offensive Tackle we have the commits we need. Linebacker was a continuing need and we have two good ones already with it looking like we will get 2-3 more again filling the need. With one RB leaving early and Roc transferring a position of strength becomes a position of concern RB. We have great talent but are thin we have addressed this need already. We are doing a great job providing quality depth at RB and possible starters at RB.

I don't know what our final class will be but I am very happy with how we are addressing our biggest concerns over last two years.

Edited by AuburnNTexas

This kid is another great pickup at a position of need. It is time some posters start giving Gus and his coaches some credit. Last year we had 3 main areas of concern D-Line, Wide receiver and Linebacker. We had what may be our best WR class ever and also one of our better D-Line class. We didn't do that well in a year that was a little weak at Linebacker. This year with two Offensive Tackles leaving early because of earlier classes and a transfer we are OK but really need a couple of studs at Offensive Tackle we have the commits we need. Linebacker was a continuing need and we have two good ones already with it looking like we will get 2-3 more again filling the need. With one RB leaving early and Roc transferring a position of strength becomes a position of concern RB. We have great talent but are thin we have addressed this need already. We are doing a great job providing quality depth at RB and possible starters at RB.

I don't know what our final class will be but I am very happy with how we are addressing our biggest concerns over last two years.

Gus needs to address depth problems before they become problems. Gus's, get thin and load up philosophy, is going to come back and haunt him. And a huge reason AU is having to take JUCO anything. AU should never have to take a JUCO RB out of need. This is the case here. Good pickup but just filling depth issues. I hope the kid light's it up, don't get me wrong. But AU should be STACKED at RB right now.

This is one of my red flags with Gus. And I believe this is a issue with Gus not being very organized. Not like a coach on a perinatal all time top 15 school anyways. IMO.

Like I said I'm going to give Gus this year and I hope like hell he turns this thing around. But I'm going to call it like I see it.

How was Gus to know of all backs that Peyton Barber would jet to the pros? Or that Roc would transfer considering he was the Day 1 starter last season? Things happen in life. Every team and I include bammer in this has some depth issue somewhere. It's a numbers game. Attrition happens at times when it's not best in a lot of cases. The Qb guru at aTm lost 2 5* qbs last year and had to get a transfer. The better coaches find a way to create depth with positional movement of current players on hand and that's what Gus is trying to do with Pettway/Cox. Let's see how it plays out. But I agree we need 2 legit every down running backs in this class plus an Ath and a speed back.

How was Gus to know of all backs that Peyton Barber would jet to the pros? Or that Roc would transfer considering he was the Day 1 starter last season? Things happen in life. Every team and I include bammer in this has some depth issue somewhere. It's a numbers game. Attrition happens at times when it's not best in a lot of cases. The Qb guru at aTm lost 2 5* qbs last year and had to get a transfer. The better coaches find a way to create depth with positional movement of current players on hand and that's what Gus is trying to do with Pettway/Cox. Let's see how it plays out. But I agree we need 2 legit every down running backs in this class plus an Ath and a speed back.

DT's & WR's last year. OT's & LBer's this year. This has been a trend.

Gus needs to address depth problems before they become problems. Gus's, get thin and load up philosophy, is going to come back and haunt him. And a huge reason AU is having to take JUCO anything. AU should never have to take a JUCO RB out of need. This is the case here. Good pickup but just filling depth issues. I hope the kid light's it up, don't get me wrong. But AU should be STACKED at RB right now.

This is one of my red flags with Gus. And I believe this is a issue with Gus not being very organized. Not like a coach on a perinatal all time top 15 school anyways. IMO.

Like I said I'm going to give Gus this year and I hope like hell he turns this thing around. But I'm going to call it like I see it.

I normally don't disagree with you but running back did not become a need until we had a player leave early and another player transfer. You can't recruit on the possibility of something like that happening. Without those two players leaving we were in great shape at RB. Offensive Tackle we had a great O-Line class 2 years ago and also picked up James a 5* transfer from Texas. Loosing 2 early hurts but we have at least 2 backups with James and Horton. Linebacker which Mikey has talked about many times is the only place where we have not had enough depth and maybe this year we will address that. As for Juco RB CAP and Robinson were both Juco RB's I don't think getting a quality Juco RB has hurt us.

It's a trend at other positions, but you can't blame him for needing a RB.

Peyton Barber wasn't good enough to get drafted, and people knew that before the draft. Heck, he might've known it before the draft. He left anyway. Then, Roc Thomas walked after spring ball because he disliked his newly-carved-out role (which was the only way to keep him on the field without playing him in front of dudes that are better than him at RB).

Without those two unexpected departures, we wouldn't be in the position where we need to sign a JUCO RB. This is a true need signing that couldn't have been pre-planned. Depth at RB going into last season and projecting into this season was ideal (2016 was slated to have: 1 Senior - Robinson, 2 Juniors - Thomas and Barber, 1 Sophomore - Johnson, and 1 Freshman - Miller). When you erase the two Juniors, you make up for it by signing a JUCO guy that can play. We're doing that.

At the other spots, I agree. It's an odd strategy, but after seeing it happen at multiple positions in multiple signing classes, I don't think it comes from lack of organization. It seems to be an organizational choice. Not sure I can explain it, but that seems to be the chosen way to build. We had that big OL class two years ago. We had a big DB class (Roberts, Bessent, Ruffin, Moncrief, Boston, Turner... many dudes that have not panned out). I mean, it just looks like the way they want to build.

It's a trend at other positions, but you can't blame him for needing a RB.

Peyton Barber wasn't good enough to get drafted, and people knew that before the draft. Heck, he might've known it before the draft. He left anyway. Then, Roc Thomas walked after spring ball because he disliked his newly-carved-out role (which was the only way to keep him on the field without playing him in front of dudes that are better than him at RB).

Without those two unexpected departures, we wouldn't be in the position where we need to sign a JUCO RB. This is a true need signing that couldn't have been pre-planned. Depth at RB going into last season and projecting into this season was ideal (2016 was slated to have: 1 Senior - Robinson, 2 Juniors - Thomas and Barber, 1 Sophomore - Johnson, and 1 Freshman - Miller). When you erase the two Juniors, you make up for it by signing a JUCO guy that can play. We're doing that.

At the other spots, I agree. It's an odd strategy, but after seeing it happen at multiple positions in multiple signing classes, I don't think it comes from lack of organization. It seems to be an organizational choice. Not sure I can explain it, but that seems to be the chosen way to build. We had that big OL class two years ago. We had a big DB class (Roberts, Bessent, Ruffin, Moncrief, Boston, Turner... many dudes that have not panned out). I mean, it just looks like the way they want to build.

Fair enough.

The 2015 signing class had 4 4* LBs. someone has to step up from those 4. Plus a different recruiting philosophy on that side in the past 2 years as well. Buck\star, 2 totally different players but both were considered tweeter types for DE/OLB on the buck and OLB/safety/nickel at the Star.

Edited by corchjay

The 2015 signing class had 4 4* LBs. someone has to step up from those 4. Plus a different recruiting philosophy on that side in the past 2 years as well. Buck\star, 2 totally different players but both were considered tweeter types for DE/OLB on the buck and OLB/safety/nickel at the Star.

This is not a LB thread but FTR 1 of those 4 LBs is now a DE (Holland). The Buck you referenced is more of a DE in our system. We should be pretty good at that position. I'm not even sure we have a Star position anymore. 1 new term we have under CKS is the Money LB. Regardless we will only play with 2 true LBs on plays around 80% of the time. Therefore barring injury, I'm not really worried about LB play much w, Tre Williams, TJ Neal, & Deshaun Davis coming on in the Spring. We just need 1 more to be a guality contributer to have a solid 2 deep.

That's why Colbert left he was a Star and not a true safety or nickel. The nickel seems more corner back in Steeles philosophy.

He left for other reasons.

Sorry if I missed it earlier in the thread, but I'm assuming he will be a "3 years to play 2" JUCO. Is that correct?

Yes but I don't see AU RSing him.

I think this kid is good. Plus we fair pretty well with juco players. :bananadance:/>

Rudy Johnson says hello!

I think this kid is good. Plus we fair pretty well with juco players. :bananadance:/>

Rudy Johnson says hello!

We've been descient lately but we have had our share of misses to going back to Tubbs' days. Edited by ellitor