***2017 3* Juco ATH Octavius Matthews (AU decommit 1/26/17)

RunInRed

4 minutes ago, MadtownTiger said:

If CDC is indeed the best recruiter in the country isn't he's as much to blame for any recruiting misses?  He was at Auburn for every single one of CGM's signing classes.  NSD this cycle was 3 February and he was hired at LSU on 14 February.

WDE!

what misses??? he was the point man on tre williams and a lot of our studs. we are talking about QB recruiting that rhett and gus handle by themselves for the most part.

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

what misses??? he was the point man on tre williams and a lot of our studs. we are talking about QB recruiting that rhett and gus handle by themselves for the most part.

Are you implying the best recruiter in the country, one with a history as a QB coach, was prohibited from recruiting QBs?

WDE!

Just now, MadtownTiger said:

Are you implying the best recruiter in the country, one with a history as a QB coach, was prohibited from recruiting QBs?

WDE!

yes that is exactly what I am saying. it is pretty well known rhett and gus go and do their own thing with qbs. see all the 4 and 5 stars we got at wr??? DC BABY!!!! you honestly think if DC was at the position he should of been with from the start which is Qbs coach he would not bring in the studs at Qb? either your saying hes a overrated recruiter or that no matter what Auburn does under Gus we will not land  great Qbs.

1 hour ago, MadtownTiger said:

If CDC is indeed the best recruiter in the country isn't he's as much to blame for any recruiting misses?  He was at Auburn for every single one of CGM's signing classes.  NSD this cycle was 3 February and he was hired at LSU on 14 February.

WDE!

Given Gus held CDC back on negative recruiting and what not while he was here the talent he brought in on paper was impressive. There is no telling what CDC would have done had Gus let him loose.

WDE!

CDC was restricted to WRs, Mobile, part of Atlanta, and occasionally helped other coaches close deals. He was allowed very little input in QB recruiting.

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

yes that is exactly what I am saying. it is pretty well known rhett and gus go and do their own thing with qbs. see all the 4 and 5 stars we got at wr??? DC BABY!!!! you honestly think if DC was at the position he should of been with from the start which is Qbs coach he would not bring in the studs at Qb? either your saying hes a overrated recruiter or that no matter what Auburn does under Gus we will not land  great Qbs.

Well, no offense, but I think you're wrong about a lot of things.

By my cursory count we've signed zero five star, eight four star and five three star WRs in the last four cycles, and six of those eight four stars came in the last two classes.  It's probably worth noting of his first six signees, one will go down as a legendarily bad teammate with CDC as his handler, two didn't developed under CDC, one was never really a WR, and two other guys quit.  Five of the next seven look pretty good...with SW as their QB and Burns as their coach.

I agree on paper it seems like it would make more sense to have CDC coach QBs and CRL work with WRs.  I was at Auburn during the Craig years, and I hated the way it played out between him and CRL.  I will forever believe he should have taken the Samford job after the 2013 season.

As much as you seem to want me to, I'm not saying either of those things.  He's a great recruiter---I don't know if he's hands down the best, but he's definitely up there.  That's pretty much the sole reason we hired him.  And I believe we've done as well as anybody is signing pretty good QBs year after year.

WDE!

Edited by MadtownTiger

15 minutes ago, ellitor said:

CDC was restricted to WRs, Mobile, part of Atlanta, and occasionally helped other coaches close deals. He was allowed very little input in QB recruiting.

There are mutually inclusive parts to my question.  I asked if the best recruiter in the county was hired because of his track record with WRs and was prohibited from recruiting QBs.

WDE!

Well, no offense, but I think you're wrong about a lot of things.

By my cursory count we've signed zero five star, eight four star and five three star WRs in the last four cycles, and six of those eight four stars came in the last two classes.  It's probably worth noting of his first six signees, one will go down as a legendarily bad teammate with CDC as his handler, two didn't developed under CDC, one was never really a WR, and two other guys quit.  Five of the next seven look pretty good...with SW as their QB and Burns as their coach.

I agree on paper it seems like it would make more sense to have CDC coach QBs and CRL work with WRs.  I was at Auburn during the Craig years, and I hated the way it played out between him and CRL.  I will forever believe he should have taken the Samford job after the 2013 season.

As much as you seem to want me to, I'm not saying either of those things.  He's a great recruiter---I don't know if he's hands down the best, but he's definitely up there.  That's pretty much the sole reason we hired him.  And I believe we've done as well as anybody is signing pretty good QBs year after year.

WDE!

depends what site you use. Duke was a 5 star and KD was a composite 5 star. NCM at 1 time was a 5 star also. I really have no idea what your trying to say. his track record speaks for itself. DC is pound for pound the best recruiter in the country IMO of course. you put him almost anywhere and he is gonna haul in serious talent and he has done so at every stop.

Edited by GwillMac6

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Given Gus held CDC back on negative recruiting.....

Craig could certainly negative recruit. He lied about Auburn plenty while he was at FSU. Sometimes it's just somebody "doing his job" and sometimes it's on to straight-out hateful. Craig was hateful to AU while he was working for Jimbo.

21 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

depends what site you use. Duke was a 5 star and KD was a composite 5 star. NCM at 1 time was a 5 star also. I really have no idea what your trying to say. his track record speaks for itself. DC is pound for pound the best recruiter in the country IMO of course. you put him almost anywhere and he is gonna haul in serious talent and he has done so at every stop.

We don't disagree about CDC's recruiting prowess, aside from his ranking nationally.  I don't think he's the absolute best, but I think he's among the best.

This all started when you once again poo-pooed on our QB signees under CGM.  It's not nearly as bad as you make it out to be.  And I don't think letting Dameyune off the chain would have somehow yielded epic QB classes every year.  Better situation than we have now?  Maybe, maybe not.  I'm genuinely interested to read what prospects people think we would have definitely signed at the position had CDC been given carte blanche.

WDE!

4 minutes ago, MadtownTiger said:

We don't disagree about CDC's recruiting prowess, aside from his ranking nationally.  I don't think he's the absolute best, but I think he's among the best.

This all started when you once again poo-pooed on our QB signees under CGM.  It's not nearly as bad as you make it out to be.  And I don't think letting Dameyune off the chain would have somehow yielded epic QB classes every year.  Better situation than we have now?  Maybe, maybe not.  I'm genuinely interested to read what prospects people think we would have definitely signed at the position had CDC been given carte blanche.

WDE!

well then so your blaming Gus development of Qbs?? Whatever the case may be fact is we are not getting it done at the qb position post nick.

5 minutes ago, MadtownTiger said:

WDE!

Honestly? Craig could of landed almost anyone he wanted in the south for the most part. you want specifics? He would of sealed the deal with francois and lamar jackson for starters. He would of been the difference in all the guys we were close on to.

22 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

well then so your blaming Gus development of Qbs?? Whatever the case may be fact is we are not getting it done at the qb position post nick.

Yes and no.  I think SW is developing nicely, considering he's a finishing his second season in the rotation.  When he's healthy enough to practice/play he's been pretty good.  JJ has not progressed well at all.  However, as it relates to recruiting, I still think JJ turned out to be a better signee than the vast majority of the guys ranked ahead of him.  As I see it only three of them had better careers at the school where they originally signed.

WDE!

8 hours ago, MadtownTiger said:

There are mutually inclusive parts to my question.  I asked if the best recruiter in the county was hired because of his track record with WRs and was prohibited from recruiting QBs.

WDE!

No. Your post I replied to only asked about him recruiting QBs and I replied to what you actually asked. It is what it is. He had very little impact on recruiting QBs.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

Craig could certainly negative recruit. He lied about Auburn plenty while he was at FSU. Sometimes it's just somebody "doing his job" and sometimes it's on to straight-out hateful. Craig was hateful to AU while he was working for Jimbo.

I know he negatively recruited us very hard but I don't that he lied in doing it. I will wait to hear from @WarDamnEagleWDE. before going that far.

7 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Honestly? Craig could of landed almost anyone he wanted in the south for the most part. you want specifics? He would of sealed the deal with francois and lamar jackson for starters. He would of been the difference in all the guys we were close on to.

Lamar still did not have a commutable offer from AU. I mostly agree on the rest though.

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I know he negatively recruited us very hard but I don't that he lied in doing it. I will wait to hear from @WarDamnEagleWDE. before going that far.

Then you think the racial stuff he was spewing about Auburn was true?

22 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Then you think the racial stuff he was spewing about Auburn was true?

I have not heard from anyone reliable that he actually did that. If WDE posted that then I missed it. I will hold judgement til I hear something reliable.

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

I have not heard from anyone reliable that he actually did that. If WDE posted that then I missed it. I will hold judgement til I hear something reliable.

My information came from a poster here that wrote that he got it first hand from a recruit's family, who were longtime friends of him and his family. That was in addition to several others here that were posting rumors they heard about Craig's negative recruiting. Exactly who or how many I don't recall now, some time has passed since then.

8 hours ago, ellitor said:

DC did say there was some racial problems at AU while he was a student. But also said that was over 20 years ago. It was said but was also blown out of proportion. DC did hammer uat while at FSU. Especially with Winston. 

Still don't get all the DC hate here. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Still don't get all the DC hate here. 

I can only guess that some fans expect players, former players, coaches and former coaches to put Auburn on a pedestal above all other aspects of their life. It's the most asinine thing, but it regularly pops up all over the forum. 

• Like 2

I don't hate the guy. Personal opinion, he's a guy that looks out for himself over anything bigger than himself. Dameyune is about Dameyune. That's fine. It's not unique, and depending on where you come from/what you experience as you grow up, you can certainly be convinced that "if I don't look out for me, no one will." My limited experience with him, coupled with watching him operate and talking to people in the profession, tell me he's not a guy I would really like. He's energetic, which can be fun for a minute, but he's not my cup of tea.

I've said before and I'll say again, the reason Dameyune disliked Trooper Taylor so much is because they are so similar.

Edited by mcgufcm
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mcgufcm said:

I don't hate the guy. Personal opinion, he's a guy that looks out for himself over anything bigger than himself. Dameyune is about Dameyune. That's fine. It's not unique, and depending on where you come from/what you experience as you grow up, you can certainly be convinced that "if I don't look out for me, no one will." My limited experience with him, coupled with watching him operate and talking to people in the profession, tell me he's not a guy I would really like. He's energetic, which can be fun for a minute, but he's not my cup of tea.

I've said before and I'll say again, the reason Dameyune disliked Trooper Taylor so much is because they are so similar.

Not sure DC and Troop are really similar. Both have totally opposite personalities. Troop is as outgoing as one can be. DC isn't really outgoing at all.