***2017 3* Juco ATH Octavius Matthews (AU decommit 1/26/17)

RunInRed

This kid is another great pickup at a position of need. It is time some posters start giving Gus and his coaches some credit. Last year we had 3 main areas of concern D-Line, Wide receiver and Linebacker. We had what may be our best WR class ever and also one of our better D-Line class. We didn't do that well in a year that was a little weak at Linebacker. This year with two Offensive Tackles leaving early because of earlier classes and a transfer we are OK but really need a couple of studs at Offensive Tackle we have the commits we need. Linebacker was a continuing need and we have two good ones already with it looking like we will get 2-3 more again filling the need. With one RB leaving early and Roc transferring a position of strength becomes a position of concern RB. We have great talent but are thin we have addressed this need already. We are doing a great job providing quality depth at RB and possible starters at RB.

I don't know what our final class will be but I am very happy with how we are addressing our biggest concerns over last two years.

Gus needs to address depth problems before they become problems. Gus's, get thin and load up philosophy, is going to come back and haunt him. And a huge reason AU is having to take JUCO anything. AU should never have to take a JUCO RB out of need. This is the case here. Good pickup but just filling depth issues. I hope the kid light's it up, don't get me wrong. But AU should be STACKED at RB right now.

This is one of my red flags with Gus. And I believe this is a issue with Gus not being very organized. Not like a coach on a perinatal all time top 15 school anyways. IMO.

Like I said I'm going to give Gus this year and I hope like hell he turns this thing around. But I'm going to call it like I see it.

Well said.

• 2 months later...

I just listened to the Auburn recruiting podcast on al.com. They reported he will be taking a visit to Kansas this weekend, I think. They added it's doubtful he ends up as part of the signing class.

50 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

I just listened to the Auburn recruiting podcast on al.com. They reported he will be taking a visit to Kansas this weekend, I think. They added it's doubtful he ends up as part of the signing class.

Has Auburn lost interest? 

4 minutes ago, aufan57 said:

I have notheard anything but if they have then it could be the first time in history so.com broke an Auburn recruiting story.

16 minutes ago, aufan57 said:
1 hour ago, milehighfan said:

If he's visiting Kansas EVERYONE has lost interest.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I have notheard anything but if they have then it could be the first time in history so.com broke an Auburn recruiting story.

Listened to the podcast, did not realize Matthews was splitting time. If Auburn has moved on from him, who is Auburn looking at for at 3rd running back in 2017 class?

9 minutes ago, aufan57 said:

Listened to the podcast, did not realize Matthews was splitting time. If Auburn has moved on from him, who is Auburn looking at for at 3rd running back in 2017 class?

Akers!!!! Nope... I'm not giving up hope :)

• Like 2

17 hours ago, aufan57 said:

The recruiting on the offensive side of the ball has gone full panic mode. Tanking. Maybe one, if he can stay healthy, impact player with Ashley. 

QB's - laughable. 

RB's - Barrett is good. After Barrett, nothing. 

WR's - laughable

TE's - laughable

OL - Solid class. But major heath concerns with all. So who knows at this point with these guys. 

And maybe ONE, 1, uno offensive coach who can recruit and close on a recruit in Hand. Horton has fallen off the face of the earth. Gus ,Rhett and KODICAT are liabilities. Unreal. 5 offensive coaches. 1 recruiter. And lol at 5 offensive coaches and this season on the offensive side of the ball. 

12 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

Strange how some adults in here resort to referring to Auburn's coaches with derogatory names.

Did you witness the presidential race that just concluded?  I think its the current trend.

20 hours ago, aufan57 said:

IF they are moving on from him I'm not sure they are dead set on taking a 3rd RB.

2 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I know you are very frustrated & you have every right to be. I am too but posting this stuff on the biggest public AU forum site given your connections does not help the program at all. Not trying to censor you at all but just want you to realize recruits & their family read these forums much more than I previously thought.

• Like 1

Personal agenda been that way since CDC left.  Best to ignore his vitriol.

Like most of the young generation if things don't go the way he wants them then throw a hissy fit.  Get over it buttercup. 

• Like 5

How many good RB's have we produced with Horton as RB coach. I am sure he was also involved in recruiting those RB's so how can anybody say he has fallen off the face of the earth.

Edited by AuburnNTexas

Alaric Williams can play. If you think he's a RB, he's a good one. If you think he's a WR, he's a good one. Nothing laughable about his game. Same for Tray Bishop if he moves to any other position. That guy can ball. 

• Like 1

We will finish in the Top 10 in recruiting.  It's foolish to even say this staff is bad at it.  We are running 3rd in talent in the SEC right now with UGa a very close 4th and they will probably pass us with this class. Consider the schools in our conference that we out recruit... UF aTm UTk... those all have a more centralized recruiting base.  UTk just recently with the growth of Nashville.  

7 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

The recruiting on the offensive side of the ball has gone full panic mode. Tanking. Maybe one, if he can stay healthy, impact player with Ashley. 

QB's - laughable. 

WR's - laughable

TE's - laughable

OL - Solid class. But major heath concerns with all. So who knows at this point with these guys. 

And maybe ONE, 1, uno offensive coach who can recruit and close on a recruit in Hand. Horton has fallen off the face of the earth. Gus ,Rhett and KODICAT are liabilities. Unreal. 5 offensive coaches. 1 recruiter. And lol at 5 offensive coaches and this season on the offensive side of the ball. 

The OL class is very solid and was solid before the injuries.   

10 minutes ago, corchjay said:

We will finish in the Top 10 in recruiting.  It's foolish to even say this staff is bad at it.  We are running 3rd in talent in the SEC right now with UGa a very close 4th and they will probably pass us with this class. Consider the schools in our conference that we out recruit... UF aTm UTk... those all have a more centralized recruiting base.  UTk just recently with the growth of Nashville.  

And NONE of them have to directly recruit against the bama machine and their perennial #1 class in the same state.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, corchjay said:

Personal agenda been that way since CDC left.  Best to ignore his vitriol.

Like most of the young generation if things don't go the way he wants them then throw a hissy fit.  Get over it buttercup. 

Remember, he predicted Woody to be the starter by mid-season. Are there some problems right now that need to be taken care of, absolutely. But he takes it WAY too far. He had me absolutely convinced all summer we were headed for 2012, pt. 2.

6 hours ago, AUwent said:

Remember, he predicted Woody to be the starter by mid-season. Are there some problems right now that need to be taken care of, absolutely. But he takes it WAY too far. He had me absolutely convinced all summer we were headed for 2012, pt. 2.

Pretty sure that came from other AU connectedss and reporters. I don't remember WDE saying that though.

And if the 1-2 season  start continued that way when those predictions were made it would have been a real possibility.

Edited by ellitor

On 11/18/2016 at 9:32 AM, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

QB's - laughable. 

WR's - laughable

TE's - laughable

I think kodi can eventually be a good recruiter. Maybe its just because he is young that I think that. Will he ever be DC? no. IMO dc is the best recruiter in the entire country so obviously not. Rhett and gus are the 2 major liability on this side of the ball for recruiting that I see. They are the ones who mainly go after the qbs and Well..............

On 11/19/2016 at 1:16 PM, GwillMac6 said:

I think kodi can eventually be a good recruiter. Maybe its just because he is young that I think that. Will he ever be DC? no. IMO dc is the best recruiter in the entire country so obviously not. Rhett and gus are the 2 major liability on this side of the ball for recruiting that I see. They are the ones who mainly go after the qbs and Well..............

If CDC is indeed the best recruiter in the country isn't he's as much to blame for any recruiting misses?  He was at Auburn for every single one of CGM's signing classes.  NSD this cycle was 3 February and he was hired at LSU on 14 February.

WDE!