2016 3* LB/S Stephen Davis Jr.

EagleDamnWar

6_1296976.jpg
Stephen Davis Jr., ATH
Irmo, SC (Dutch Fork)
Ht: 6-3, Wt: 185 lbs

- Class of 2016
- AU legacy (yes, that Stephen Davis)
- Sophomore: 84T, 3 TFL, 4 sacks, 4 fumbles caused/2 recovered, 2 INTs, 3 breakups, 1 punt block, 4 PAT blocks)
- Visited 3/08/14 and named the Tigers his leader
- Committed to AU 8/04/14
- Recruiters: Rodney Garner (P), Charlie Harbison (S)

Offers: Auburn, Clemson, Florida, Georgia, Missouri, North Carolina, Notre Dame, South Carolina, Tennessee and Vanderbilt, among others.

247Sports: 3*
Rivals: 4* (Rivals100 - No. 89)
Scout: 4*

Hudl Highlights

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stephen Davis, that name brings back a lot of memories. Terry Bowden's under use of big Steve in 1995 was the beginning of the end for him at AU. Everyone wanted to see Stephen get a shot at the Heisman and we just did not run the ball enough. I'll never forget that incredible game he had against Arkansas at JHS.

So Davis would send his own son here....but tells Lattimore to go to So. Carolina??

Come on now!!!!. Stephen told Lattimore to "go where you feel you fit the best, both on the field and off". He choose USCe. At no time did he steer Lattimore anywhere.

That was a stupid comment about Davis & Lattimore. Davis is an Auburn man and always will be. Any Auburn man will tell a young person how great Auburn is, but also advise that young person that they need to do what they believe is best for them. That is integrity and honesty.

Listen...A: just because you disagree with something someone says doesn't require an attacking reply.

B: I seem to recall that during Lattimore's recruitment that Davis actually encouraged him to stay in-state rather than coming to Auburn. If I somehow recall that incorrectly than simply let me know/show me. Do not call me stupid or attack me, please. I don't do that to others, I shouldn't have to deal with it in return. Thank you.

Listen...A: just because you disagree with something someone says doesn't require an attacking reply.

B: I seem to recall that during Lattimore's recruitment that Davis actually encouraged him to stay in-state rather than coming to Auburn. If I somehow recall that incorrectly than simply let me know/show me. Do not call me stupid or attack me, please. I don't do that to others, I shouldn't have to deal with it in return. Thank you.

Funny, you seem to have no problem attacking Stephen Davis for allegedly not convincing a kid who had no relation to him to come to Auburn.

My recollection is that he mentioned that while he loved AU, he did wish it had easier for family to watch him play. I think he was just being honest with a young man with a big decision to make.

There were opinions posted on AU message boards saying Davis encouraged Lattimore to stay in state, but we both know that info on boards like this can be wrong. Everything I heard is that Davis encouraged him to look seriously at AU, but to make the decision that was best for him. Davis also said he would support Lattimore no matter who he chose, and true to his word he did.

I did a quick google thing to try and find any quotes from Lattimore's recruitment re: Davis, and found nothing other than what we have said.

I did find this interesting, and encouraging little tidbit. Unfortunately Theyer Evans wrote it http://msn.foxsports...Carolina-120310

So when Smith (Lattimore's Mom) talks, we should all listen, carefully, especially when it comes to her thoughts on the differences between the way her son was recruited by Auburn and South Carolina.

She describes Curtis Luper, Auburn’s running backs coach and recruiting coordinator, as a “used car salesman.”

“He appeared to be kind of like, sort of a ‘whatever it takes’ kind of person,” Smith says.

Smith wants to make it clear that, to the best of her knowledge, neither Luper nor anybody else at Auburn offered money or anything else to her or anyone in her family. She says she made it known to all schools recruiting her son that she would not allow the breaking of NCAA rules.

“It’s all in the way you present yourself to any schools on how they’ll approach you,” she says. “Once they realized that’s not who we were, they knew better.”

But of Auburn, she says, “They tried to do and say whatever they could to get him there. They definitely did that much.”

Smith says Luper made so many promises to her son that she had to ask him to stop.

“Anything that you tell him, I would expect you to do,” Smith recalls telling Luper. “This is a 17-year-old kid coming to your school and you’re telling him he’s going on the field and he’ll play as a freshman. You don’t even know if he’s physically able or if he’ll be able to do that.”

After Luper failed to hit it off with Smith, she says Auburn offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn stepped in as the Tigers’ lead recruiter for her son. She gushes about Malzahn, who she describes as “a super cool, great guy,” and his wife, Kristi.

“Coach Malzahn is a man of integrity,” Smith says. “That’s how I feel about him.”

There is more to read if you want at the link. Of course Thayer is taking the AU cheats angle as much as he can. By reading the comments from Lattimore's mom it sounds like they just did not connect with Coach Luper at all.

I put her comments about Gus in bold because I love reading that!

Get your panties in a wad, but for you to disrespect Stephen Davis ( a man who played HARD for Auburn and being as you didn't play, you will not understand) is attacking him. I am simply standing up for him as an Auburn man. You don't know what was said, you don't know what was considered in his conversations with Lattimore, so BTFU from attacking & disrespecting Davis. Lattimore did what he thought was best for him (we had Dyer committed). So don't tell me Im attacking you when I say your post was stupid (I didn't say you were -- I assume you graduated from AU, so youre smarter than most). But sometimes even the best of us make a stupid post -- hey Ive done a few. I just don't like people sitting in the stands attacking the guys who actually played -- and played at the highest level for AU. Unless you know SD, you don't really know the story of what he and ML discussed. Understand?

I agree with Root! Leave my boy alone! SD is a standup guy who I feel blessed to have played against in high school.

People, my comment was NOT an attack on Davis. I made ONE observation based off the last time he was involved in a recruit interested in Auburn. You all need to get your definitions straightened out. Good Lord.

You acted like you knew something when you really didn't -- that is gossip, and you repeated it in a manner that did harm to others opinion of SD. "So Davis would send his own son here....but tells Lattimore to go to So. Carolina??" Sort of an attack on his cred as an Auburn man, in my opinion. Same kind of crap that we've seen on herethe last couple of days from those attacking Alan Evans. You don't know what SD said toML, but you posted like you did. I have my definitions totally straight and I believe SD does too. And yes, He is a good Lord.

Alright, it was not the best choice of wording. I apologize if I offended you in some way. It was not an attack on Davis' total rep as an Auburn man either.

I am now done with this converaation.

Off to a good start on this one... Regarding Buie, I don't think coaches are viewing him as a lock to the 2016 class. He still has to keep up with academics and continue to excel on the football field.

Off to a good start on this one... Regarding Buie, I don't think coaches are viewing him as a lock to the 2016 class. He still has to keep up with academics and continue to excel on the football field.

Is it time to lock the thread already?............ ;)

I asked that this thread be started because I think Davis Jr. will be a great add for this team and we will have a great chance to get him with Davis sr being a former player. Lets not turn this one into something else please.

Saw the Davis kid play a few times this year for Irmo and he most certainly was the best athlete on the field. At least 6"3" and probably closer to 195-200lbs and only a soph. in high school. Mainly played on defense at safety but could be a Star or LB if he continues to fill-out. Has the frame to easily be 220-225lbs by senior year. Should be one of South Carolina's top prospects in a few years.

Archived