2016 3* LB/S Stephen Davis Jr.

EagleDamnWar

7 minutes ago, tinman said:

He has a bum knee and will redshirt.

Probably a good idea...give him a chance to get bigger and stronger....and get his academics in good shape too.   Despite what appears to be some shortages at RB, I can't see that he would be a factor....healthy or not.....IMO sitting this year out is a good thing.

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a big surprise. I wasn't expecting him to play this year, unless on special teams. A year to heal, get bigger/stronger will probably pay dividends in the future.

• augolf1716 unpinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

I could see him hitting the weight room hard and growing into a monster safety or a pass covering linebacker. RB is not out of the question but I don't think it will happen.

• 9 months later...

Stephen Davis Jr. joining South Carolina football

The former 3-star recruit from Irmo, S.C., is transferring from Auburn and will enroll at South Carolina for summer school June 26, according to The State’s Lou Bezjak. He left Auburn earlier this offseason after taking a redshirt year in 2016 due to a major knee injury.

South Carolina was believed to be one of the last programs competing for Davis as a recruit. Though he was a member of the 2016 recruiting class, Davis didn’t sign on National Signing Day in February due to a “family issue.” He ultimately committed to the Tigers in July 2016.

Though he was a running back at Auburn, his position with the Gamecocks has not yet been determined. He also played defense when he was at Dutch Fork High School, and he could provide South Carolina some depth at linebacker.

Davis will be a walk-on for the upcoming season because Auburn blocked him from taking a scholarship at an SEC program or at Clemson.

• ellitor unfeatured this topic

I thought he was never on scholarship here? We can't "block" somebody unless they were on scholarship. Something about this article isn't right, or else he was put on scholarship here without it being made public.

10 hours ago, Mikey said:

I thought he was never on scholarship here? We can't "block" somebody unless they were on scholarship. Something about this article isn't right, or else he was put on scholarship here without it being made public.

If we recruited him, which we did, yes we can even though he is a walk on.

In the Division I sports of baseball, basketball, and football (as well as men’s ice hockey), the One-Time Transfer Exception isn’t available to athletes who were on an athletic scholarship or were recruited to their previous four-year college.

A walk-on (non-scholarship athlete) may use the One-Time Transfer Exception as long as the school he/she is leaving did not recruit him/her to their college.

The NCAA uses four criteria to determine if an athlete is a “recruited athlete.”  To view the four criteria, click NCAA rules – Definition of a Recruited Athlete.

How does the NCAA define whether a prospect is considered a recruited athlete?

A prospect is considered a recruited athlete if the college takes one of the following actions:

If they provide the prospect with an official visit.

If they have an off-campus contact with the prospect or the prospect’s parents or legal guardians.

If they offer the prospect a National Letter of Intent or an athletic scholarship agreement.

If they initiate a telephone conversation with the prospect or his parents or legal guardians more than one time.

SDj took an OV to AU on Jan. 15, 2016 so he is indeed a recruited athlete AU can block on where to transfer.

Some of these rules don't make a lot of sense...but either way....why would AU block the kid from transferring to USCe or anywhere?  .  We did not appear to have any plan for him, he was injured and did not seem that AU has any $$$ invested in him either.

As noted...the whole things sounds strange....but if AU is indeed keeping him from going where he wants to it's a petty thing and does not reflect well on whoever made the decision...JMO.

This kid is nuisance-level trouble wherever he does end up.  Good riddance.

48 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Some of these rules don't make a lot of sense...but either way....why would AU block the kid from transferring to USCe or anywhere?  .  We did not appear to have any plan for him, he was injured and did not seem that AU has any $$$ invested in him either.

As noted...the whole things sounds strange....but if AU is indeed keeping him from going where he wants to it's a petty thing and does not reflect well on whoever made the decision...JMO.

Well based on other transfers it looks like it's Gus's policy to block anyone not going to juco first. Apparently players honoring their commitments to AU is important to him.

54 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Well based on other transfers it looks like it's Gus's policy to block anyone not going to juco first. Apparently players honoring their commitments to AU is important to him.

So what was AU's commitment?..walk on and pay his own way...?

We should NOT block anybody that wasn't on scholarship. Period. As AU64 said above, it's petty and makes us look bad. This whole Davis jr. situation has had a good bit of weirdness surrounding it from the start.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

So what was AU's commitment?..walk on and pay his own way...?

Didn't say AU made a commitment to him.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

We should NOT block anybody that wasn't on scholarship. Period. As AU64 said above, it's petty and makes us look bad. This whole Davis jr. situation has had a good bit of weirdness surrounding it from the start.

Not sure how it makes us look bad when most teams do it. We don't stand out from the norm on it.

Y'all may think it's poor taste and that's fine but if I had a walk on that did not put in the work & dedication to himself & AU  when he agreed to me to come to AU like SDj had done I would block him going to another school too. The kid can go to juco for a couple semesters, graduate there, & get his full release that way. If a kid walked on for me, busted his A, & it just didn't work out then that's fine. I would happily give him a release.

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Not sure how it makes us look bad when most teams do it. We don't stand out from the norm on it.

Y'all may think it's poor taste and that's fine but if I had a walk on that I recruited and he left with another in-conference school wanting to put him on scholly I would block it too. Wouldn't want the kid making a play to beat me later down the line. The kid can go to juco for a couple semesters, graduate there, & get his full release that way.

We gave the walk-on player nothing. If he has a chance to get a scholarship somewhere else, let him go. If he makes a play and beats us, that's our fault for being too stupid to put him on scholarship here. This blocking stuff just makes us look petulant.

4 minutes ago, Mikey said:

We gave the walk-on player nothing. If he has a chance to get a scholarship somewhere else, let him go. If he makes a play and beats us, that's our fault for being too stupid to put him on scholarship here. This blocking stuff just makes us look petulant.

Look up and see my edited post. You think a kid who did not put in the work or dedication he agreed to when coming deserves a release regardless if the kid is on scholly or not? I don't & I'm not going to reward that with a release.

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

Didn't say AU made a commitment to him.

Exactly...so why do we think it is OK to screw with his life ?   It is a petty thing to do and gains us nothing...no matter what legal right we might have.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Exactly...so why do we think it is OK to screw with his life ?   It is a petty thing to do and gains us nothing...no matter what legal right we might have.

He will be okay. His daddy can foot the bill and he can do what most other Athletes do. Sit out a year and be eligible for a scholarship or transfer to schools outside of the SEC or Clemson. Of course, this all could've been avoided if he stuck at AU. Either way, rules are rules. Also, it seems underneath the scene AU was committed to him, as he didn't sign the NLI because of a "family issue" yet, he still chose to commit to us. Personally, I don't think the kid had the grades.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

He will be okay. His daddy can foot the bill and he can do what most other Athletes do. Sit out a year and be eligible for a scholarship or transfer to schools outside of the SEC or Clemson. Of course, this all could've been avoided if he stuck at AU. Either way, rules are rules.

This isn't about "rules"...it's about how AU is handing it....and if he could not afford to attend college on family money would that change how you view it? 

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Again. It's not about screwing with a kid's life. It's like I said in my later post. Part of the agreement in AU letting him come here was a personal agreement SDj made with Gus for him to be focused & take care of his responsbilities while at AU, something the young man failed to do. Why in the world should that be rewarded with an unconditional release? If he busted his A while at AU that would be a different story but he didn't.

25 minutes ago, AU64 said:

This isn't about "rules"...it's about how AU is handing it....and if he could not afford to attend college on family money would that change how you view it? 

NOPE. Because MANY athletes who are poor as hell go the JUCO ROUTE and then transfer. AU isn't the only school who does this LEGAL move. So yes, it is kind of about the rules. BTW, He didn't sign the NLI for "personal reasons." Take that for whatever it may be. IMO, he couldn't make the grades. Guess what? Earlier in this thread, I made a point that many of people, who do NOT have the advantages he has, have gotten through things just like this. It has been non-stop drama with this kid. My assumption is a lot of it has to do with his OWN actions. Again, a few of you constantly made excuses for the kid. Guess what? he wants to transfer. Cool.  You can do that, however, there are stipulations. Personal accountability, which he seems to understand. He hasn't made a big fuss about it.

Archived