softball recruiting

If AU is any indication, there seem to be a lot of walk-ons and players with non-athletic scholarships playing college softball.

So a question for E....if a player who is not on scholarship wants to transfer, I'm assuming there is no requirement to sit out a year? :dunno:

Hey Gibson and Thai. My daughter plays on the AU softball team and as a AU fan, though I doubt you are in your heart, you should support and not judge any athlete that puts their efforts into bringing glory to AU. So don't be cowards behind a keyboard and when you are typing hateful comments form your trailer, just remember a kid might be reading your ignorant posts.

War Eagle.

I was a joke with no ill intent to AU or AU athletes. The other was taking a shot at Bammer. Neither post was hateful to any AU student athlete or possible student athlete.

E, I think it was more a reaction to their comments about 'being into men' and another commenting on physical attributes. It was a joke, but poor ones. I think the AU parent had a right to vent (I don't think it had anything to do about the shot at Bammer), after their daughter just fought their hearts out but lost a very tough game.

SO if you your going to make jokes like that...be prepared for the reaction...

Maybe but it was a shot at Bammer not AU Athletes as Bunkey thought....You know how I am about clarifying things.

Well, there was also the "stark difference" and "concerned" comments about the bottom of the line up for AU. Either way, it's hard to be concerned at this point because there are some highly touted FR coming in, and there are girls on the bench who will work hard and be ready to play next season. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Courtney Shea get the nod at DP if Wallace holds on to the catchers position. I believe she will become a good hitter if given consistent at bats. I also only see the pitching getting better with the FR getting a lot of innings this year.

If AU is any indication, there seem to be a lot of walk-ons and players with non-athletic scholarships playing college softball.

So a question for E....if a player who is not on scholarship wants to transfer, I'm assuming there is no requirement to sit out a year? :dunno:

Yes, they have to sit. Softball has 12 scholarships, and they can be split however they want to split them (24 halfs, 10 full and 4 halfs, etc.). If you are on the roster for one school, you have to sit out under normal circumstances for your next school.

If I offended anyone with my comment about UAT softball, then I do apologize. It was meant to be a compliment towards the AU players and a shot at the UA players. If it didn't come across as that, I'm sorry.

On the other hand, quit being so danged sensitive. I actually know someone close to the situation that has told me the same thing I put in my original comment. Gee whiz. AU has a beautiful girls on their team. Sue me for saying that.

Yes, they have to sit. Softball has 12 scholarships, and they can be split however they want to split them (24 halfs, 10 full and 4 halfs, etc.). If you are on the roster for one school, you have to sit out under normal circumstances for your next school.

It was mentioned that Auburn had three walk on players. I am assuming that some or all did not receive the scholarship aid.

So the question is, if a player is not receiving scholarship aid that still restrict them in the way of transfer ?

It was mentioned that Auburn had three walk on players. I am assuming that some or all did not receive the scholarship aid.

So the question is, if a player is not receiving scholarship aid that still restrict them in the way of transfer ?

Based on the NCAA page that discusses transfer rules[0], there is no distinction between scholarship and walk on players.

[0] http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/current/want-transfer

I see that Kaylee Carlson pitch for the University North Carolina in 2015 and at Auburn in 2016 . Any idea how that came about?

Ashlee Swindle is the real deal man. We are from the same area. We actually used to talk a pretty good bit a few years ago. It's so weird seeing her in the spotlight like this now when I remember her as a high school freshman. Lol. She's a good girl too. It makes me happy to see somebody from my area shine like this. We got a good one!

I see that Kaylee Carlson pitch for the University North Carolina in 2015 and at Auburn in 2016 . Any idea how that came about?

Ok, I misunderstood the page I listed. I went through the little interactive question thing and it was more clear, the only sports that require you to sit out a year are D1 baseball, basketball, football, and men's hockey if you transfer from a D1 to another D1 school. I actually thought baseball was different and didn't require you to sit.

EDIT: And there is an exception for those sports whereby if you are a walk-on and were not recruited where you are playing, you can transfer and not sit out a year.

It was stated on the broadcast that three starters (Gipson, Jordan and Draper )"Came to Auburn as walkons". It's not really clear if they are still walkons without any financial aid, are on academic scholarships or are now on softball scholarships. That's an area where our baseball team has fallen behind. If you can get a kid who is OTHERWISE ELIGIBLE for an academic scholarship and they just happen to be a baseball/softball player, you enroll them as a scholar and you're one ahead in the scholarship numbers game. (No, that doesn't apply to football or basketball. Rules are different for those sports)

It was stated on the broadcast that three starters (Gipson, Jordan and Draper )"Came to Auburn as walkons". It's not really clear if they are still walkons without any financial aid, are on academic scholarships or are now on softball scholarships. That's an area where our baseball team has fallen behind. If you can get a kid who is OTHERWISE ELIGIBLE for an academic scholarship and they just happen to be a baseball/softball player, you enroll them as a scholar and you're one ahead in the scholarship numbers game. (No, that doesn't apply to football or basketball. Rules are different for those sports)

That was my understanding and your observation about baseball tracks with mine....missing the boat on some kids.

Meanwhile, since recruiting is not as widespread for softball (as far as I know) I was wondering if it was fair game to poach from some smaller schools where players are there on non-athletic scholarships. ...probably more candidates who were not recruited by AU but now might like to join a program that is on the rise. Just wondering?

That's not accurate. Kaylee Carlson pitched for North Carolina last year and transferred to Auburn to play this year. Haley Fagan transferred from South Alabama but sat out a year because South Alabama wouldn't release her. If USA had released her she would have played 2 years ago when she first got to Auburn. The sitting out rules are different for softball than they are for most of the other sports.

So a question for E....if a player who is not on scholarship wants to transfer, I'm assuming there is no requirement to sit out a year? :dunno:/>

That's not accurate. Kaylee Carlson pitched for North Carolina last year and transferred to Auburn to play this year. Haley Fagan transferred from South Alabama but sat out a year because South Alabama wouldn't release her. If USA had released her she would have played 2 years ago when she first got to Auburn. The sitting out rules are different for softball than they are for most of the other sports.

Yep. I corrected myself in a later post because I misunderstood the page I was getting my info from.

One of the issues in a transfer situation with softball has to do with whether a school had recruited the player before she went somewhere else...which might be the difference between how Fagan's transfer and Carlson's transfer were handled.

Whatever it was....getting Carlson was a huge gain for AU and she has 2 more years...and three more from Martin. Barring unforeseen issues our pitching staff will be solid for a few years to come. :)

Here is translated version of the Transfer Rule from atthleticscholarships.com:

One-Time Transfer Exception

"The most common transfer exception available to student-athletes is the one-time transfer exception, which applies to NCAA Divisions I and II. The one-time transfer exception has a number of requirements, but one of the most important is getting a release from an athlete’s current school.

The one-time transfer exception is available to all student-athletes in Division II and all student-athletes in Division I except for athletes in football, men’s and women’s basketball, baseball, and men’s ice hockey. Once a student-athlete graduates in those sports however, they are allowed to use the one-time transfer exception.

The exception requires that the current school state in writing that it has no objection to the student-athlete using the exception. The way this normally takes place is that after a student-athlete has selected a transfer destination, the compliance office at the new school will send a form commonly called a tracer to the old school. Included on that form will be a space where the old school indicates whether it has an objection.

If the former school objects, then student-athletes have the same appeal procedure as they do if they are denied permission to contact a school. That means in Division I, schools have seven business days to respond and 15 business days to conduct a hearing. In Division II, schools have 14 calendar days to respond and 30 calendar days to conduct a hearing."

"The most common transfer exception available to student-athletes is the one-time transfer exception, which applies to NCAA Divisions I and II. The one-time transfer exception has a number of requirements, but one of the most important is getting a release from an athlete’s current school.

The one-time transfer exception is available to all student-athletes in Division II and all student-athletes in Division I except for athletes in football, men’s and women’s basketball, baseball, and men’s ice hockey. Once a student-athlete graduates in those sports however, they are allowed to use the one-time transfer exception.

The exception requires that the current school state in writing that it has no objection to the student-athlete using the exception. The way this normally takes place is that after a student-athlete has selected a transfer destination, the compliance office at the new school will send a form commonly called a tracer to the old school. Included on that form will be a space where the old school indicates whether it has an objection.

If the former school objects, then student-athletes have the same appeal procedure as they do if they are denied permission to contact a school. That means in Division I, schools have seven business days to respond and 15 business days to conduct a hearing. In Division II, schools have 14 calendar days to respond and 30 calendar days to conduct a hearing."

So, it looks like North Carolina released Carlson, USA refused to release Fagan.

So, it looks like North Carolina released Carlson, USA refused to release Fagan.

Looks that way...UNC probably had nothing against AU and let Carlson go even though she was an important pitcher. ...but Fagan was USA's best player, and guess they took offense to her wanting to move up to the next level....especially in state.....I'm glad she made the sacrifice.

Archived