AU signee Ashlee Swindle named USA Today S-Ball Player of the Year

Link

PLAYER OF THE YEAR:

Name: Ashlee Swindle

Position: Pitcher

School: Curry (Jasper, Ala.)

Year: Senior

College: Auburn

It took 94 years for Curry High School to earn its first Alabama state championship in any sport when Swindle led the Yellow Jackets to last year’s Class 4A title. Swindle didn’t make the Curry faithful wait long for title No. 2.

The right-handed pitcher cemented her legendary status by leading the Yellow Jackets back to the championship this spring, earning MVP honors of the Class 4A tournament after posting shutouts in the semifinal and final.

Not only has Swindle put Curry on the map in Alabama, the Yellow Jackets are making national waves, having reached No. 1 in the USA TODAY High School Sports/National Fastpitch Coaches Association Super 25 rankings for a portion of the season.

Overall, Swindle finished 45-2 with a 0.59 ERA and 385 strikeouts in an outrageous 262.2 innings of work. She held opponents to a .132 batting average and walked just 34 batters to post a strikeout-to-walk ratio north of 11 to 1. Not only that, she eclipsed the 1,000-strikeout mark for her career in the state semifinal victory.

But pitching was only part of the equation. She also hit .557 and slugged .935 thanks to 13 homers and 14 doubles while driving in 86 runs. She reached base in 47 of her team’s 49 games.

“It’s my senior year, so I wanted to go out with a bang,” Swindle told AL.com after the title-game triumph.

By bringing a second state championship trophy back to Curry, Swindle certainly accomplished that.

Excellent stuff....

Move over Parker, you are old news.

Unbelievable stats...

If she can do half that in the SEC...look out!

Great to see that. For a while now, bama has had the upper hand in recruiting for softball in the state....this might be another way that Clint will make the bama coach's life miserable.

It was a big battle between Curry & Sumiton Christian. SC has a girl going to Bama. (Kendall Beth Sides) & Curry had Swindle & Justus Perry. Both are going to Auburn. If you wanted to see a good softball game...SC vs. Curry was a good one. Curry also has a girl going to Ole Miss. Talk about a stacked team.

With pickups like this Meyers is starting a Dynasty at Auburn. This girl might be the final nail to get us the National Championship.

Get used to Auburn playing for titles in the conference and nationally year in year out. We are here to stay.

I recall that Lexi Davis from Porter Ridge HS in NC was the Gatorade Player of the year in HS and came to AU before the big transition. She was a great catch for Tina Deese and stayed through the transition. She capped her AU career with an excellent game against Oklahoma in the WCWS and because of her durability and reliability, she now holds quite a few AU records.

http://www.oanow.com/sports/college/auburn/softball/sulonen-why-lexi-davis-deserves-to-be-in-auburn-s/article_592d024c-fdc8-11e5-a29d-7b08c390dded.html

The Myer's philosophy of using multiple pitchers probably means that no AU pitcher will ever run up Paige Parker type numbers but hope Miss Swindle become a factor in the line-up next year and gives the team another solid staff of starters.

Last year, in the regionals and the series, Lexi was very effective in the teams run. Says something about her and the team, that she handled that transition so well, then comes in and works VERY solid innings this time. Very unselfish play from this team. So impressive, in many ways.

I hope we keep a few active pitchers ... We need swindle to have some days off ... No way we can not use her bat.

L

Losing 3 senior pitchers this year. Not sure the coach has waiting in the wings as a red shirt or something but only Carlson and Martin on the roster have seen any action this year so it is likely she will get a good look at P......and you are correct, we are going to need some bats for next year....losing most of the RBIs from this season...Howard, Carosone, Jade

I hope we keep a few active pitchers ... We need swindle to have some days off ... No way we can not use her bat.

L

Losing 3 senior pitchers this year. Not sure the coach has waiting in the wings as a red shirt or something but only Carlson and Martin on the roster have seen any action this year so it is likely she will get a good look at P......and you are correct, we are going to need some bats for next year....losing most of the RBIs from this season...Howard, Carosone, Jade

Don't forget fellas. We had a 3 woman rotation last year, I wouldn't turn away a transfer arm but if Makayla & Carlson keep their form & Ashlee comes in pitching well the 2017 team will be in good hands w/ a 3 woman staff.

Is it common for college softball pitchers to bat though?

Depends on the Coach. Walton at UF does it for good hitting pitchers. Historically Coach Myers hates doing it.

Lauren Chamberlain of OK and Lauren Hager (?) of Florida both swung the bat bigtime. So did Jailyn Ford of James Madison. But with Myers' record, I'm good with whatever he wants to do. Oh yeah, Kelsey Nunley of Kentucky and Allie Walljasper at LSU. Samantha Show at A&M hit a bunch of homers.

Wonder if Swindle pitched against Winfield last year when Madi Moore, now at alabama, was there? Only about 40 miles apart.

L

Don't forget fellas. We had a 3 woman rotation last year, I wouldn't turn away a transfer arm but if Makayla & Carlson keep their form & Ashlee comes in pitching well the 2017 team will be in good hands w/ a 3 woman staff.

3 should be fine....we had five but as it got down to crunch time, three got most of the heavy work and the others less time in the circle.

Now...BATS...that's what we need...and maybe after a year of SEC action and some time with the hitting coach the newbies will become more of a factor.

Just wondering, but seems that the times are changing and the slap style of hitting is becoming less effective. Maybe it was just our performance (or lack of it) but our slap hitters (other than Howard) rarely got a hit when it mattered...sometime with the bases empty they could surprise the defense, but otherwise....not so much.

By the numbers, Tiffany Howard hit .390 and scored 78 runs. At the bottom of the lineup, Draper batted .325 and scored 46 runs. I think these are the only two slappers. Don't know if any of the recruits are. Seems to me that one of the bios I read sounded like a slapper's numbers. Our two slappers' OBP were .443 and .388 respectively. Name of the game is baserunners. I'm a little surprised that Coach doesn't employ the steal more often. Howard and Draper were 15 of 15 in that regard. Some of those were the first and third situation, where often the runner on first is allowed to take second without a throw.

I think we continute to see one or two slappers. Interested to see if Draper moves to the top of the order.

By the numbers, Tiffany Howard hit .390 and scored 78 runs. At the bottom of the lineup, Draper batted .325 and scored 46 runs. I think these are the only two slappers. Don't know if any of the recruits are. Seems to me that one of the bios I read sounded like a slapper's numbers. Our two slappers' OBP were .443 and .388 respectively. Name of the game is baserunners. I'm a little surprised that Coach doesn't employ the steal more often. Howard and Draper were 15 of 15 in that regard. Some of those were the first and third situation, where often the runner on first is allowed to take second without a throw.

I think we continute to see one or two slappers. Interested to see if Draper moves to the top of the order.

I would be surprised if she didn't. She's easily the fastest player on the team next year & a good bat.

Draper at the bottom this year helped to turn the lineup over, with all of the talent at the top of the lineup. Next year, with Howard gone, I agree with moving her to the top. A few of the newcomers from last year and this year have good power stats from High School. Maybe some of them will be able to contribute nicely next year.

One thing we know for sure, is that as long as Clint Myers is at Auburn, we are going to be a contender regardless of who we lose. Myers teaches the game and develops players better than any coach I've ever seen. He instills confidence in every one of them. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Draper in the lead off spot. She has the off-season to get better and being a little more consistent. It will be interesting to see what the lineup and the defensive alignment looks like. Fall ball will give us a glimpse of it. We know Cooper is at 3rd, Wallace is catching, Draper in center, Gipson in right (unless we find a better bat from our incoming class). Fagan at short if she is fully recovered from the torn ACL, or they could leave Jordan at short and put Fagan at 2nd. I won't be surprised at all to see incoming freshman Justus Perry playing 1st. Courtney Shea will continue to catch and give Wallace an occasional game off behind the plate. Fornis or Podany take the spot in left.

I'm thinking Courtney stays behind the plate. First base could be a bailout position for Fagan, if her knee doesn't return to full mobility needed at short. Fornis has the distinction of having hit a grand slam in her first Auburn at-bat. Casey McCrackin, Emily Spain, and Kendall Veach have all played a bit in the infield. Veach had some pretty good power numbers in high school.

I'm thinking Courtney stays behind the plate. First base could be a bailout position for Fagan, if her knee doesn't return to full mobility needed at short. Fornis has the distinction of having hit a grand slam in her first Auburn at-bat. Casey McCrackin, Emily Spain, and Kendall Veach have all played a bit in the infield. Veach had some pretty good power numbers in high school.

If the fall back is needed then I agree. Otherwise Haley at Short, Courtney at 1st, Whitney back to RF which is her natural position & where she was supposed to start last season, & Madi over to LF.

If Haley is having issues with the knee, then I would think 1st might be tough with the strain from stretching out on throws

One thing we know for sure, is that as long as Clint Myers is at Auburn, we are going to be a contender regardless of who we lose. Myers teaches the game and develops players better than any coach I've ever seen. He instills confidence in every one of them. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Draper in the lead off spot. She has the off-season to get better and being a little more consistent. It will be interesting to see what the lineup and the defensive alignment looks like. Fall ball will give us a glimpse of it. We know Cooper is at 3rd, Wallace is catching, Draper in center, Gipson in right (unless we find a better bat from our incoming class). Fagan at short if she is fully recovered from the torn ACL, or they could leave Jordan at short and put Fagan at 2nd. I won't be surprised at all to see incoming freshman Justus Perry playing 1st. Courtney Shea will continue to catch and give Wallace an occasional game off behind the plate. Fornis or Podany take the spot in left.

Is Justus the girl with a little pop in her bat?

Archived