MLB Draft

Congrats to Anfernee Grier going #39 overall to the Arizona Diamondbacks. The second round is coming up. Waiting for Alex Speas to come off the board.

Good for AG...surprises me a bit but he should be a rich young man before the year is over....

I almost forgot this was the Baseball forum too. There's only three threads about baseball on the front page, and of two them aren't about AU baseball. :D

Awesome that he went so high. If he can hit consistently in the MLB, we'll see him in the show for sure. He is a beast defensively. Almost as good as Victoria Draper and Tiffany Howard. :P

He had some funny tweets about those catches those girls made too.

As I said in the other MLB Draft thread (don't know why there are 2 threads), We are trying to dodge signees Alex Speas & Davis Daniel from being high round picks.

As I said in the other MLB Draft thread (don't know why there are 2 threads), We are trying to dodge signees Alex Speas & Davis Daniel from being high round picks.

Sorry, E, must have overlooked the other one before I started this one. Hope I didn't step on any toes.

Sorry, E, must have overlooked the other one before I started this one. Hope I didn't step on any toes.

Na. I'm just OCD on stuff. No worries.

Frick! Speas just got picked by the Rangers in the 2nd round.

Baseball recruiting is a delicate business to sign guys who are not quite good enough to be drafted in the first couple of rounds... but good enough to play in the SEC which is not that far below the Class A Minor league's.

Series of tweets from Matthew Stevens of the Montgomery Advertiser regarding Auburn players/prospective players and day 2 of the draft

@matthewcstevens Good news for @Auburn_Baseball. @Davis_Daniel3 yet to be selected. This likely means he’s headed to Auburn for at least 2 yrs. #MGMAuburn

Also…Auburn ace RHP Keegan Thompson, @kthompson_7, hasn’t been selected in the 1st 10 rounds of #MLBDraft2016 meaning he’ll likely return.

I know Auburn finished 13th in SEC in 2016 but they could have a solid 2017 weekend rotation of: @kthompson_7, @caseymize04, @Davis_Daniel3

Just got a text from Auburn RHP signee Davis Daniel, @Davis_Daniel3, who says he’s Auburn bound “unless something crazy happens”. #MGMAuburn

Davis Daniel: “I had a couple chances today but my family and I had a value for Auburn and we stuck to it. I’m excited.” #MGMAuburn

I’ve already had 2 scouts tell me Davis Daniel turned down multiple bonus offers in the $500-750K range to come to Auburn. #MGMAuburn

I spoke with @3strikes_AU and he says he’s “cautiously optimistic” that the draft might’ve broken exactly correct for @Auburn_Baseball

Auburn coach Butch Thompson, @3strikes_AU - “I think I’m confident in saying we had guys turn down serious money to play here.” #MGMAuburn

Auburn signee from Ontario, Canada gets selected in the 5th round by the Twins. His stock continued to rise.

(tweet refers to Jordan Balazovic)

Series of tweets from Matthew Stevens of the Montgomery Advertiser regarding Auburn players/prospective players and day 2 of the draft

@matthewcstevens Good news for @Auburn_Baseball. @Davis_Daniel3 yet to be selected. This likely means he’s headed to Auburn for at least 2 yrs. #MGMAuburn

Also…Auburn ace RHP Keegan Thompson, @kthompson_7, hasn’t been selected in the 1st 10 rounds of #MLBDraft2016 meaning he’ll likely return.

I know Auburn finished 13th in SEC in 2016 but they could have a solid 2017 weekend rotation of: @kthompson_7, @caseymize04, @Davis_Daniel3

Just got a text from Auburn RHP signee Davis Daniel, @Davis_Daniel3, who says he’s Auburn bound “unless something crazy happens”. #MGMAuburn

Davis Daniel: “I had a couple chances today but my family and I had a value for Auburn and we stuck to it. I’m excited.” #MGMAuburn

I’ve already had 2 scouts tell me Davis Daniel turned down multiple bonus offers in the $500-750K range to come to Auburn. #MGMAuburn

I spoke with @3strikes_AU and he says he’s “cautiously optimistic” that the draft might’ve broken exactly correct for @Auburn_Baseball

Auburn coach Butch Thompson, @3strikes_AU - “I think I’m confident in saying we had guys turn down serious money to play here.” #MGMAuburn

Auburn signee from Ontario, Canada gets selected in the 5th round by the Twins. His stock continued to rise.

Excellent info sir! So who all will we lose?

Not surprised that Palacios got selected...he has the "look" and size....hope he comes back but ..likely his is gone.

JMO...the injury that took him out much of the year was a big factor in the poor year...team was much better with him in the line-up.

@matthewcstevens Good news for @Auburn_Baseball. @Davis_Daniel3 yet to be selected. This likely means he's headed to Auburn for at least 2 yrs. #MGMAuburn

Also…Auburn ace RHP Keegan Thompson, @kthompson_7, hasn't been selected in the 1st 10 rounds of #MLBDraft2016 meaning he'll likely return.

Just got a text from Auburn RHP signee Davis Daniel, @Davis_Daniel3, who says he's Auburn bound "unless something crazy happens". #MGMAuburn

Davis Daniel: "I had a couple chances today but my family and I had a value for Auburn and we stuck to it. I'm excited." #MGMAuburn

I've already had 2 scouts tell me Davis Daniel turned down multiple bonus offers in the $500-750K range to come to Auburn. #MGMAuburn

I spoke with @3strikes_AU and he says he's "cautiously optimistic" that the draft might've broken exactly correct for @Auburn_Baseball

Auburn coach Butch Thompson, @3strikes_AU - "I think I'm confident in saying we had guys turn down serious money to play here." #MGMAuburn

Grier, & Speas. Palacios seems likely where he was drafted. Someone tweeted that w/ the 100k signing bonus Balazovic likely gets as a 5th round signee they think he will go to.

@matthewcstevens Good news for @Auburn_Baseball. @Davis_Daniel3 yet to be selected. This likely means he's headed to Auburn for at least 2 yrs. #MGMAuburn

Also…Auburn ace RHP Keegan Thompson, @kthompson_7, hasn't been selected in the 1st 10 rounds of #MLBDraft2016 meaning he'll likely return.

Just got a text from Auburn RHP signee Davis Daniel, @Davis_Daniel3, who says he's Auburn bound "unless something crazy happens". #MGMAuburn

Davis Daniel: "I had a couple chances today but my family and I had a value for Auburn and we stuck to it. I'm excited." #MGMAuburn

I've already had 2 scouts tell me Davis Daniel turned down multiple bonus offers in the $500-750K range to come to Auburn. #MGMAuburn

I spoke with @3strikes_AU and he says he's "cautiously optimistic" that the draft might've broken exactly correct for @Auburn_Baseball

Auburn coach Butch Thompson, @3strikes_AU - "I think I'm confident in saying we had guys turn down serious money to play here." #MGMAuburn

Grier, & Speas. Palacios seems likely where he was drafted. Someone tweeted that w/ the 100k signing bonus Balazovic likely gets as a 5th round signee they think he will go to.

$100K is not that much these days...after taxes and all .....and the guys mostly live on peanuts in the minors.

Seems that a good recruiting effort should be able to turn him toward AU as it should be pretty easy to improve his standing at a place like AU ...plus the educational opportunity.

$100K is not that much these days...after taxes and all .....and the guys mostly live on peanuts in the minors.

Seems that a good recruiting effort should be able to turn him toward AU as it should be pretty easy to improve his standing at a place like AU ...plus the educational opportunity.

Agreed.

Congrats to Niko Buentello being drafted by the Tigers in the 18th. Congrats to Ben Braymer being drafted by the Nationals in the 18th. No word yet, but I bet both will return.

Congratulations to Justin Camp who can continue his baseball career after getting drafted in the 37th round by the Royals!

I see that Brax Garrett, as #7 draft pick is eligible for $3.75 signing..... so the big question is whether Vandy can top that and keep him committed.

As for the AU underclassmen....seems to me that Grier and maybe Palacios are the only two who might take the money unless the other guys are just tired of baseball at AU.

You don't turn down 3 mil his draft status would be hard pressed to improve much more by going to Vandy. imo

That was mostly a joke but seems that UF and Vandy and a few others seem to overcome some pretty big bonus offers...but I think you are right....Vandy would rather spend the $3.7M elsewhere and bring in 3 or 4 top pitchers who were not so highly drafted.

JMO but I would take that MLB draft list and starting at the 4th or 5th round, contact every HS guy on it and talk Auburn.

As expected, Palacios will forgo his senior season to sign with the Blue Jays, per his Twitter.

Yep....hate to lose him...the guy looked like a "player" from the first time I saw him at the plate in game #1. He was a good find...too bad he missed so much of the season.

Wow, Bryan Matthews reporting that Buentello has taken his offer and will go pro. 18th rounder. Congrats Niko, but boy is all our offense gone now.

Archived