Negative Recruiting Question

CameronCrazy

This current staff has been recruiting against Saban, Smart, & Pruitt for 4 years now. If you have a kid that loves Auburn & has us as his leader, but you know that these other schools & coaches are going to negative recruit against you, why do we not have answer for this yet? Why are we not pro-actively saying, "Now Alabama is going to tell you this about Auburn, but..." or "Now UGA is going to try to sell you on this, but..." We either haven't figured out the game or we're not willing to do something about it. It's time for this staff to "poop or get off the pot".

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How do you know we're not already doing the things you're suggesting?

Do you know that AU staff are not telling kids this? The fact remains that we need to show we can take good LB and make them great and put them in the NFL. Give TWill some time. We will be there. Until then, do the most with what we get.

This current staff has been recruiting against Saban, Smart, & Pruitt for 4 years now. If you have a kid that loves Auburn & has us as his leader, but you know that these other schools & coaches are going to negative recruit against you, why do we not have answer for this yet? Why are we not pro-actively saying, "Now Alabama is going to tell you this about Auburn, but..." or "Now UGA is going to try to sell you on this, but..." We either haven't figured out the game or we're not willing to do something about it. It's time for this staff to "poop or get off the pot".

Why do you assume we don't? Or why do you assume that's the only factor at play? It's likely just part of the pitch. Is it really that hard to sell a LB on playing at Alabama with their track record lately?

Look, we snagged one of the top two linebackers in the state. The one we got is a Rivals 100 member. And there's a pretty good chance we end up getting Ignont out of Georgia. And the other LBs we are in on aren't also-rans either.

You nancies need to calm the frick down.

This is getting Crazy in a hurry. It is June...

1. 3 Letters...REC. 2. We do.

As for your last sentence, we have figured it out with Bama at least. I just \don't know if AU can battle the REC. Only guys like WDE can probably give you true insight but my guess is AU has to pick and chose it's battles with them.

There is talk that Bama took Benton as much for perception in not letting AU start 2-0 w/ in state LBs in this class as much as them actually wanting him. Talking w/ someone on staff at CPHS on my own, I believe this to be true.

As for your last sentence, we have figured it out with Bama at least. I just \don't know if AU can battle the REC. Only guys like WDE can probably give you true insight but my guess is AU has to pick and chose it's battles with them.

There is talk that Bama took Benton as much for perception in not letting AU start 2-0 w/ in state LBs in this class as much as them actually wanting him. Talking w/ someone on staff at CPHS on my own, I believe this to be true.

I've heard this mentioned also. Ignont and Benton were basically a toss up for them. So they'd rather not go 0-2 in-state for the best two linebackers, especially since there's no guarantee Ignont ends up at Auburn. But if they didn't put the full court press on Benton, he was definitely ending up here.

How do you know we're not already doing the things you're suggesting?

Literally the first thing that popped in my head. Seemed like the obvious response. :)

I've heard this mentioned also. Ignont and Benton were basically a toss up for them. So they'd rather not go 0-2 in-state for the best two linebackers, especially since there's no guarantee Ignont ends up at Auburn. But if they didn't put the full court press on Benton, he was definitely ending up here.

All that & he's in our back yard so for perception it looks bad for us & has the NegaAubies wig out. because we should have him locked down in theory.

Talking about perception the central high school fans I know and are close to the program think benton is only an average player. Go figure.

Talking about perception the central high school fans I know and are close to the program think benton is only an average player. Go figure.

He made only 32 tackles in 10 games last season & wasn't hurt. What would you think if you were them?

The way Benton presented his decision really painted him in a corner. Now he has disrespected the AU staff publicly so even if $puat Pilon's him, we probably would be hard pressed to take him. And it wouldn't shock me AT ALL to see him lose his offer on or right before signing day. It's pretty much textbook scumbaggery on $puat's part.

The way Benton presented his decision really painted him in a corner. Now he has disrespected the AU staff publicly so even if $puat Pilon's him, we probably would be hard pressed to take him. And it wouldn't shock me AT ALL to see him lose his offer on or right before signing day. It's pretty much textbook scumbaggery on $puat's part.

Yep. For Benton's sake I hope he realizes he has to step up big time. If he has another down year there is no way Bama keeps him IMO. KK, who some of you know, thinks Benton will end up out of state.

The thing about the whole LB deal, is AU needs LBs desperately. Everybody knows this, and with Bam's depth at that position, they still take players from us. Talk about perception-sheesh! Bo Davis, Lyndell Wilson, and Rashaan Evans come to mind. Is something wrong? This has been going on for a while, and it doesn't seem to matter how 'good' our staff is. Kevin Steele was a beast at getting LB when he was at Bama. Come here and AU becomes kryptonite to ones recruiting abilities. The thing about negative recruiting is we have had coaches(Will Muschamp, Ellis Johnson, And Kevin Steele) that knows how Saban does it, and should be able to provide some insight to benefit our program. Haven't seen it yet. What is the deal?

When Gus first got to AU, he gave me the impression that he would go after the best players wherever they are, starting with the state of Alabama. Which was good to say, but when Saban first got to Bama, he used the word 'dominate' in terms of how he wanted to recruit the state and the country. He has done what he has said, and lived up to those expectations. Is 'dominate' in Malzahn's vocabulary? Words and phrases like " tickled to death" and "I like our chances" come to mind. He is a bit passive, it seems to rub off on the program.

Football in the SEC is like heavy weight boxing, where swagger and cockiness is apart of the mental game you have to play in addition with actually knowing how to fight. Well, we know how to fight, AU just lacks swagger and cockiness. We lack that agressive ultra-competitive attitude to bring to the fight. We don't cause our opponents to doubt themselves or fear being on the same stage as us. That starts with passive Gus.

IMO, AU has done as well as they have because it's AU. We have the money and the facilities to compete and we get good enough players to hold the line, but something has been missing for a while now. It's called the killer instinct.

When Gus first got to AU, he gave me the impression that he would go after the best players wherever they are, starting with the state of Alabama. Which was good to say, but when Saban first got to Bama, he used the word 'dominate' in terms of how he wanted to recruit the state and the country. He has done what he has said, and lived up to those expectations. Is 'dominate' in Malzahn's vocabulary? Words and phrases like " tickled to death" and "I like our chances" come to mind. He is a bit passive, it seems to rub off on the program.

Football in the SEC is like heavy weight boxing, where swagger and cockiness is apart of the mental game you have to play in addition with actually knowing how to fight. Well, we know how to fight, AU just lacks swagger and cockiness. We lack that agressive ultra-competitive attitude to bring to the fight. We don't cause our opponents to doubt themselves or fear being on the same stage as us. That starts with passive Gus.

IMO, AU has done as well as they have because it's AU. We have the money and the facilities to compete and we get good enough players to hold the line, but something has been missing for a while now. It's called the killer instinct.

Well put. I've thought this for a while. Gus appears to be no Pat Dye when it comes to invoking the mental and physical toughness that it takes to consistently compete at the highest level. In the toughest division in football. He's more cerebral, which is fine, but football is still basically a man on man brawl. Unfortunately, some recruits see this too.

Proof is the the All-SEC teams over the years. Not just NFL draft eligible players that Saban just owns AU in. I would be satisfied since Gus is supposed to be an offensive guru, if AU was represented well on that side of the ball. Hasn't happened. So for all those saying not to panic, it's just June; I don't think they realize it is just June- 4 freakin years later with the absolute same results. I for one am tired of losing the Ruben Fosters and Rashaan Evans to our rivals. If it is 10 great players, Saban takes 6 and we take 3 and somebody else gets the rest. What up with that?

Fans, let's stop making excuses for Gustav. Let's hold him to a standard that $4million a year requires. And that starts with beating Bama in recruiting. That is the formula. Yeah we can get lucky every now and then and win with lesser talent but it won't last long.

The thing about the whole LB deal, is AU needs LBs desperately. Everybody knows this, and with Bam's depth at that position, they still take players from us. Talk about perception-sheesh! Bo Davis, Lyndell Wilson, and Rashaan Evans come to mind. Is something wrong? This has been going on for a while, and it doesn't seem to matter how 'good' our staff is. Kevin Steele was a beast at getting LB when he was at Bama. Come here and AU becomes kryptonite to ones recruiting abilities. The thing about negative recruiting is we have had coaches(Will Muschamp, Ellis Johnson, And Kevin Steele) that knows how Saban does it, and should be able to provide some insight to benefit our program. Haven't seen it yet. What is the deal?

Let's provide some perspective to this. He was hired by Auburn on Jan. 5, 2016. That's barely a month before national signing day and only 6 months ago. He hasn't even been here a year to fully recruit a class yet. Making those kind of statements above is WAY premature and not at all reality. How you draw such a drastic conclusion in such a short period of time is mind boggling. Step away from the ledge...

Proof is the the All-SEC teams over the years. Not just NFL draft eligible players that Saban just owns AU in. I would be satisfied since Gus is supposed to be an offensive guru, if AU was represented well on that side of the ball. Hasn't happened. So for all those saying not to panic, it's just June; I don't think they realize it is just June- 4 freakin years later with the absolute same results. I for one am tired of losing the Ruben Fosters and Rashaan Evans to our rivals. If it is 10 great players, Saban takes 6 and we take 3 and somebody else gets the rest. What up with that?

Fans, let's stop making excuses for Gustav. Let's hold him to a standard that $4million a year requires. And that starts with beating Bama in recruiting. That is the formula. Yeah we can get lucky every now and then and win with lesser talent but it won't last long.

All of this. Saban did say he wanted to dominate and he has been a man of his word. Until AU finds a competent AD willing AND capable of hiring a Saban-type of coach then all we are left with is bitching/whining/crying on fan boy message boards.

wde

All of this. Saban did say he wanted to dominate and he has been a man of his word. Until AU finds a competent AD willing AND capable of hiring a Saban-type of coach then all we are left with is bitching/whining/crying on fan boy message boards.

wde

So you think hitting restart is the answer? Saban's kicking everyone's butt and has unlimited resources. I'd love to hear your list of potential replacements if you really feel that's a legitimate option.

wde

So you think hitting restart is the answer? Saban's kicking everyone's butt and has unlimited resources. I'd love to hear your list of potential replacements if you really feel that's a legitimate option.

Hitting restart when the current coach can't compete is always the answer. Our problem is our AD. My list of potential replacements will change if our current AD is replaced. I have posted that if our current AD remains then I would hope Gus can grow into the job and become competitive in the next few years. If our current AD fires Gus after a poor season in 2016 then I expect someone like D. Craig or Will Muschamp to be hired.

wde

So you feel that the answer is either to hire a position coach or a head coach with a dismal record is the answer. DC may the answer one day when he is more experienced but now is not the time. As for WM, you do realize that he failed miserably at Florida with unlimited resources in a talent rich state don't you?

With all due respect I'd rather have JJ calling the shots over you.

Check please...

So to sum the thread up...we heard there is this thing called negative recruiting...and we heard that people are doing that when it comes to us...then we assumed we were doing nothing whatsoever to counteract said negative recruiting based on absolutely nothing...

And this needs its own discussion?

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

If it is 10 great players, Saban takes 6 and we take 3 and somebody else gets the rest. What up with that?

There has never been an extended time period in which we beat UAT in recruiting. There has never been an extended time period in which we beat UGA, UF, or Tenn. in recruiting either. Shug beat them for a few years before Bryant got there. Dye had a year here and there when he beat them, same with Tuberville and the same with Chizik. If you expect AU to routinely beat these teams in recruiting you are in for a lifetime of disappointment.

Winning the recruiting war has never been how we beat these teams on the field. We beat them by trying harder on the field and staying close in the recruiting race. If we can't do it that way it's not going to get done. History tells us that.

Archived