Character & Coe Academic status (Update 7/21/16)

ellitor

Update 7/21/16: Character cleared to enroll. Still waiting word on Cole.

Link

2016 signee Character learns fate

For Marlon Character, the wait is over.

The 3-star safety from Atlanta (Ga.) Grady, who signed with Auburn in February, learned late Wednesday night he would be cleared academically and will enroll at Auburn in a few weeks.

He plans to arrive at school July 31.

"It's a relief," Character said.

Character appeared all set in the spring, but had a test score flagged, meaning he had to re-take it. In the meantime, he also enrolled in an online course.

"It was either/or," Character said. "So I did both. I got word on my class (Wednesday). I'm good. I'm just relieved."

Now, he's ready to get to Auburn.

"I'm ready to put in some work" Character said. "It's time to work 100 percent on college. I don't have to worry about if I'm going to make it."

One other Auburn signee remains in limbo -- defensive and Nick Coe of North Carolina. He should learn his fate next week.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coe is a man. He may be the most underrated player in our last recruiting class. If healthy, I expect Coe to have a heck of a career at AU. Hope we find out good news today!

Coe is a man. He may be the most underrated player in our last recruiting class. If healthy, I expect Coe to have a heck of a career at AU. Hope we find out good news today!

Looks like it will be a week or 2.

I think flagging scores for going up too much is BS. Sometimes kids need a little pressure to buckle down and do their best...and sometimes that translates to a dramatic jump. The NCAA's motto is guilty until proven innocent I guess.

I think flagging scores for going up too much is BS. Sometimes kids need a little pressure to buckle down and do their best...and sometimes that translates to a dramatic jump. The NCAA's motto is guilty until proven innocent I guess.

I still don't see how it is possible to have a 10 point jump or above unless the first time the student was literally on the death bed. There is no study or class that can teach a 10 point jump in such a short time. Maybe from freshman to Senior year it is possible. There is good reason that the ACT flags the scores after it jumps past nine or ten points in a short while. The ACT was designed so that those large jumps shouldn't happen in other words. It's a universal test meant to show where a student is at intellectually, so the test scores are supposed to be fairly close. If the test scores are all over the place, then the university will have no clue what kind of student they are accepting, definitely now that the high school degrees are diluted and 3/4ths the class has over a 3.0.

And the ACT doesn't have any more control over athletes than they do with non-athletes.

The NCAA doesn't have any input on flagging standardized test scores. That is done by the test administrator (ACT or SAT). Once a score is flagged, it could be verified, but that process takes time. In this case, it could take more time for the ACT to verify his last score than he has before it's time to enroll at Auburn. The standardized test administrators don't work on summer or fall enrollment schedules. They work on a rolling basis year round.

Character likely had to take it again, not because his score was thrown out, but because he needed a qualified score earlier than he was going to hear back from the ACT. Also, for the record, a 10 point jump is MASSIVE. Many moons ago, my ACT score was flagged for a six point jump. It was resolved after they reviewed my answer sheet and conducted a phone interview about my high school GPA and test prep. If his score on the June ACT is within range of his last score, it will accepted, and his last score (the one that was flagged) will also likely receive a quick approval. Smart move just retaking the test though.

Just for clarity, though, his situation has zero to do with the NCAA.

I guess I missed something. How do we know it's a ten point jump? I either missed it in reading above or you saw it somewhere?

There have been enough cases of funny business (Ole Miss for example) that ACT and SAT have pretty good reasons to flag unusual jumps in test results.

They have a jillion scores in their data base and they know what is possible and what is statistically probable. Plus it is in their interest to assure that their testing program has credibility and is not subject to wild fluctuations that cause suspicion about their test program.

I guess I missed something. How do we know it's a ten point jump? I either missed it in reading above or you saw it somewhere?

I meant a 10 point jump or above. From what we do know, his score was flagged because his second score was abnormally higher than the first. I've read they start getting suspicious around 8 so I guess we can start from there.

We don't. People just used that as a discussion point due to Purifoy's reported 11 point jump last year.

Welp, it's been Wednesday...

Coe's has been moved back a week or 2 as stated in another post.

Coe update from Keith Link

As of last night, things still looked good. Probably will know for sure today.

If all goes as planned, he'll be driving to Auburn on Saturday.

Great. I can't wait to see Coe on the field. He is one strong kid.

Yup, my favorite recruit from last year's class. <Fingers Crossed>

I think he will be fine. I have kept up with him some with me living in NC and all. He is one of those that got away from the NC schools. North Carolina produces a lot more quality recruits than most know. NC is the 10th most populated states in the country. I know football is not the dominating sport in NC.

B-ball is the king here, but football has grown considerably in status over the past 10 or so years. I think Nick is going to be a monster DE that will rival Carl Lawson very soon. I am excited to see 6-8 the Prince and 6-6 Nick Cole as monstrous bookends on our D-line. I think our defense is going to be much better than it has been in long time. Just get the offense back to where it was a few years ago.

I think he will be fine. I have kept up with him some with me living in NC and all. He is one of those that got away from the NC schools. North Carolina produces a lot more quality recruits than most know. NC is the 10th most populated states in the country. I know football is not the dominating sport in NC.

B-ball is the king here, but football has grown considerably in status over the past 10 or so years. I think Nick is going to be a monster DE that will rival Carl Lawson very soon. I am excited to see 6-8 the Prince and 6-6 Nick Cole as monstrous bookends on our D-line. I think our defense is going to be much better than it has been in long time. Just get the offense back to where it was a few years ago.

Doc, E had an interesting post yesterday saying it wont be long before Prince is moved to the OL. How bout that.

Bad news on Coe. Link

Four-star defensive end signee Nick Coe of Asheboro (N.C.) was expected to arrive at Auburn this weekend and enroll in class next week, but that won't happen.

According to his high school coach, Coe "won't be coming to Auburn this weekend."

At this time, we have very few details — such as what happened and why. Less than 48 hours ago, we were told Coe made a 92 in an online course and likely was good to go.

Now … he must retake an online course for a higher grade, Asheboro coach Owen George told AuburnUndercover.

“He will be (at Auburn) on July 31,” George said.

As more details become available we will pass them along.

Bummer for Coe but I never thought he would play this year anyway.....might as well give him some time to get adjusted to AU and college life without the pressure of trying to learn a play-book too.

Hope that July 31 date holds up.

Archived