2017 4* LB Tyler Taylor

ellitor

1 minute ago, auburnphan said:

Visiting LSU this weekend

as long as he visits us for our big visit weekend I think we have a good chance. Though LSU is hurting for LBs this cycle.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

as long as he visits us for our big visit weekend I think we have a good chance. Though LSU is hurting for LBs this cycle.

Yes they are. And LSU has some ace recruiters. Going to be interesting to see after his visit this weekend. 

4 minutes ago, autan said:

Is OU out of the picture now?  I always thought that might be a little far for a Georgia boy.

No. AU & OU are his top 2. Both were on him early. LSU is a dark horse.

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Yes they are. And LSU has some ace recruiters. Going to be interesting to see after his visit this weekend. 

Is Dcraig going to oregon? Have not heard anything about that since it was originally reported. Yup and georgia flipped 1 of maybe their only LB commit in monty rice.

47 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Is Dcraig going to oregon? Have not heard anything about that since it was originally reported.

Last list of candidates that I saw did not include him.

• 3 weeks later...

Tyler's mom breaks down his recruitment...

Tyler Taylor hasn’t hidden how influential his mother, Akita, is to his final college decision.

The 4-star linebacker confides in small circle during his recruitment. It’s Tyler and Akita.

“We’ve kinda been together, just him and I, for a very long time,” Akita told SEC Country. “We roll together. We ride or die. Whatever decision we come to, it’s our decision. It’s something we’ll both support.”

Tyler has publicly noted on multiple occasions that his mother is his inspiration. She’s the reason he strives for a free education and a football career. Alas, her input has become some of the most vital as Tyler narrows in on his choice, which as of Wednesday afternoon, still hadn’t been finalized.

As recently as his official visit to Auburn last weekend, Taylor spoke of how much his mother’s opinion matters to him when he cited her love for Auburn and her appreciation for coach Travis Williams.

In other words, Akita has a valuable voice in the matter. Though, make no mistake, she wants Tyler to know he’s the one who will have to play and attend school. Ultimately, it’s his decision to make.

There have been times he surprised her a bit — like the announcement Oklahoma was officially taking a backseat to Auburn and LSU. She didn’t question Tyler. Akita simply went through her due diligence to ensure that announcement was something he truly felt since the Sooners had been so high on his list for so long.

“He knows that Mom is a very critical thinker. I analyze everything. I ask a lot of questions,” Akita said. “Now that really caught me off guard when he said that because Oklahoma was ranked really high on our list. Maybe he’s come to this decision without me … If so, he gets my blessing. We will talk about these reasons why you would eliminate Oklahoma as a candidate of choice.”

There are four programs Akita has given her “blessing” to — Auburn, LSU, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State.

Auburn target Tyler Taylor (Chris Kirschner/SEC Country)
Auburn target Tyler Taylor (Chris Kirschner/SEC Country)

The Cowboys appear to be well on the outside looking in (the Sooners may be, too), but Oklahoma State coach Glenn Spencer’s relationship with the Taylor extends longer than that of any other Power 5 coach. Spencer and Mike Gundy made in-home visits this week. Oklahoma, as of Wednesday, hadn’t yet attempted an in-home visit.

But, per his comments Sunday, Tyler has excluded those two Big 12 programs from his final list. It’s LSU and Auburn to the finish.

LSU visited last Thursday, and it wasn’t clear when or if they’d return. Auburn planned to visit the Taylors. Defensive coordinator Kevin Steele and linebackers coach Travis Williams were on tap for a mid-week visit. Williams’ bond with mother and son will be critical in securing the 4-star linebacker from Buford (Ga.).

The Taylor family took its official visit to the Plains last weekend — his last OV before the decision, which they’d like to announce by end-of-day Wednesday or Thursday. It could take longer, but that’s the goal. Tyler saw a better look at Auburn University as an institution, which included a sit-down with the director of the kinesiology department.

The visit re-affirmed all the positive thoughts Tyler and Akita have shared about Auburn since the beginning.

“It’s been a high program of choice for me ever since we started pursuing these opportunities,” Akita said. “But I really like coach Will, Travis Williams. Tyler has a really strong connection with him. That’s a big deal for me too. More than anything, I’m really excited about their program. They really do have a great program over there.”

LSU has picked up late steam in recruiting. Dave Aranda and Ed Oregeron have always stayed in touch with Tyler, but the communication regularity drastically increased in December. Most of LSU’s contact goes through Tyler rather than Akita, which is different than the other three schools.

From a program perspective, Akita thinks highly of all schools remaining. She also recognizes the importance of early playing time. And, for the first time in a long time, that path is much clearer at LSU than Auburn.

“I think one of the biggest things about LSU is the depth chart of the linebackers,” Akita said. “For now, we don’t really have to worry about the stability of the coach. Coach O just getting hired into that position. I think he would at least be there for another 2-3 years. We also like coach Aranda. He has a pretty good history of making successful linebackers.”

The answers will soon come for the never-ending questions the Taylors have been asking.

“What does the depth chart look like? How well do I connect with the coaches? What type of educational program do they have? How far away is it from me? Is distance a problem?” Akita said. “I come from a family of 9 siblings and a large family. Not just my parents, but my parents’ parents. We’re very close knit. How can I get my family involved? How far away are the games going to be? There’s a lot for use to think about.”

Based on the depth chart, Tyler would likely head to Baton Rouge. If it’s distance from home, Auburn makes the most sense. Tyler’s decision will give a good idea of which factors ranked highest on his decision list.

The decision is near. You’ve heard Tyler’s public take on it all. Now you’ve heard Akita’s.

Link 

LSU’s pursuit of linebackers continues to revolve around Willie Gay and Oklahoma commit Jacob Phillips, but the Tigers could be closer to nabbing a commitment from a third target.

Tyler Taylor, the 4-star linebacker from Georgia, wrapped up his official visit to LSU on Jan. 13-15 and spent last weekend in Auburn.

A decision is near, and both sets of Tigers are close to reeling Taylor in.

His mother, Akita Taylor, is letting him figure out his own path. However, she sees a bigger opportunity in Baton Rouge than she does at Auburn.

“I am mixed on that to be completely honest,” Akita told SEC Country, when asked what she thinks Tyler will do.

“I think it would be LSU or Auburn. I’m just not sure which one takes the priority over the other. If he listens to me, he’d probably go more on the depth chart. At the end of the day, I”m not the one who will play this game. This has to be about you. I’m not sure, but probably one of those two.”

LSU made a late push for the 6-foot-2, 230-pounder, and his interest has been received well.

During the official visit, the family realized there may be a more stable coaching situation in Baton Rouge, in addition to more opportunities given the depth chart.

“Even though they came in a little bit late, he had been talking with them, but not quite to the extent he’s been talking to them recently,” Akita said. “I think one of the biggest things about LSU is the depth chart of the linebackers. For now, we don’t really have to worry about the stability of the coach. Coach O just getting hired into that position. I think he would at least be there for another two or three years.”

Also of note, Taylor is a fan of LSU’s defensive coordinator, Dave Aranda, who has been in-home with the family several times during both the December and January Contact Periods.

Aranda is not only the coordinator but also works exclusively with the linebackers, giving Akita some more assurance her son will be developed at the next level.

“We also like Coach Aranda and his ability to coach as a defensive coach, as well as a linebacker coach,” she said. “He has a pretty good history of making successful linebackers. That was one of the things that stand out with him.”

Akita clearly sees more opportunities for her son at LSU, but Auburn remains in the picture given how long it has recruited him.

Combine that with the fact that Auburn is much closer to home in Buford, Ga. — about a two-hour drive — compared to Baton Rouge, which is almost nine hours away.

“Distance is always an issue,” Akita said.

From LSU point of view and side of things.

LSU just got a crystal ball from Kipp Adams for Tyler Taylor.

32 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

“I think it would be LSU or Auburn. I’m just not sure which one takes the priority over the other. If he listens to me, he’d probably go more on the depth chart. At the end of the day, I”m not the one who will play this game. This has to be about you. I’m not sure, but probably one of those two.”

Not good that mom is leaning LSU.

Just now, ellitor said:

and I was under the impression mom was always pro AU and preferred us.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Is there a backup plan if Taylor picks LSU? or is it too late in the game?

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

and I was under the impression mom was always pro AU and preferred us.

She likes T-Will a lot. She just being objective about the depth charts. She doesn't have an agenda from what I can read.

2 minutes ago, aufan57 said:

Is there a backup plan if Taylor picks LSU? or is it too late in the game?

Not too late. They simply don't plan to take another LB if we miss on Taylor. It's Taylor or bust as I've been saying the past few weeks.

1 minute ago, War to the Eagle said:

Hope we don't lose Barrett and miss out on Tyler...would make the close of recruiting quite the bummer.

Doubt we lose Barrett. LSU is trending with Taylor's mom, not sure about Taylor yet.

9 minutes ago, War to the Eagle said:

From that article it sounds like he and mom are pretty well on the same page. 

He may be but we don't know since Tyler was not interviewed in that article.

Just now, War to the Eagle said:

Stop trying to make sense of this situation. Can't you see I'm trying to be as cynical as possible??

From your Bryant post in the other thread yes. But like I said you may be right on them being on the same page.

9 minutes ago, War to the Eagle said:

We should be hitting up recruits on twitter trying to get them in the fold.

M4mIyEN.gif

But also interesting that Tyler is the main contact for AU, OU, and OSU but Akita for LSU. Based the levelheaded approach the rest of the process included, to me this means he is keeping them at length. He is much closer with our staff.

1 minute ago, au_bsci_04 said:

But also interesting that Tyler is the main contact for AU, OU, and OSU but Akita for LSU. Based the levelheaded approach the rest of the process included, to me this means he is keeping them at length. He is much closer with our staff.

Read again my friend...

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Most of LSU’s contact goes through Tyler rather than Akita, which is different than the other three schools.

This is exactly why I think AU not offering Johnston at LB was a big mistake. Yes, we have three other good LB prospects already committed. If Taylor chooses elsewhere, we'll then have signed four LB's over the last two years. That's not enough to maintain at the position, let alone build depth. Is Muschamp the only coach to pass through here that sees the need for numbers of quality linebackers?

Keep on signing four every two years and we'll be right back into the fix we were in before Muschamp signed five LB in the '14 class. "Those who don't pay attention to history are doomed to repeat it".

Archived